The Seduction of LadyM, or, my Whole30+

LadyM

Starchy veggies. I took white potatoes out of my Whole 30 from the start because they are a nightshade. My starch is sweet potatoes. I find that I can eat "some", like 1/2 a day or 1 every other day. I like I feel leaner, but yes they can inhibit weight loss for me as well.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starchy veggies. I took white potatoes out of my Whole 30 from the start because they are a nightshade. My starch is sweet potatoes. I find that I can eat "some", like 1/2 a day or 1 every other day. I like I feel leaner, but yes they can inhibit weight loss for me as well.

Calee, white potatoes are generally out for Whole 30 for everyone and not because of their botanical family (other nightshades are fine if you tolerate them). Just saying.

• Moderators

How often do you see your FMD?

I've been seeing her about once a week lately. Today I see my financial planner, though, and am thinking I'll probably need to reduce that. Ugh. So crazy to have to put a pricetag on one's health!

• Moderators

Day 36

Funny thing hit me today when I was sitting with my financial planner. I am spending an extraordinary amount of time, energy, and money on my health. Whatever's left in all those categories goes toward work. Given that, I've decided to surrender to what my life has become at the moment and to do so fully. TRUST FMD and scale back my outside reading and research and plotting and planning and scheming.

I'm committing to six months of working with her and doing Whole9 if not Whole30 and then I'll reassess. My extra time, energy, and money will go toward other pursuits such as reading literature and doing my own writing. I can easily drive myself nuts with my obsessive search for a solution that will fix me, changing course with each new article. No more. I hereby now dedicate my obsessive mind to pursuits that will advance my career and growth as an artist.

(Acknowledging that Whole9/30 in conjunction with FMD supports me in that goal.)

Phew. That felt good.

I am on my path, moving forward. It doesn't matter at what speed, just that I continue. With that, I now will look to the horizon if not the sky rather than at my feet. This gives me a great sense of lightness.

8 BP tea (nowhere near as delicious as BP coffee. Harumph.)

M1 noon LO ground chick/veg hash perked up with bacon, shitake, chard+avo and kraut

M2 6:30 the other half of M1 but with lime instead of kraut+a few slices cured beef

(I had to eat this twice today to get rid of all the LOs with stuff in it like my beloved cumin before AIP begins tomorrow.)

I've also decided to stop hoarding food. My fridge, freezer, and pantry are chock-a-block with good, compliant food and yet I continue to grocery shop at will. I don't spend a lot of money on anything else; I actually lead quite a simple life. However, I "treat" myself to whatever fancy veg or meat or fat catches my fancy. I'm instead going to find fun and flex my creative muscles by cooking and eating down my reserves. I can probably easily go two weeks without having to buy more than water, herbs, ginger, citrus. This will be a good challenge. Because, you know, Whole30 AIP isn't enough of a challenge ;) .

In wish my freezer was full! It is empty. Missing Sunday farmers' marketing really threw me off.

I think it's excellent that you are dedicating money to your health. Most people don't, until they get really sick and have no choice (and sometimes no options.) You are inspiring me to so the same.

My mother had offered to pay for a photo class for me for Christmas. I was so anxious about finding time to work on my photos, I never picked a class. So then I decided I'd instead ask her to pay for a naturopath--though now I'm thinking FMD. (A little embarrassing that I'm almost 39 and I'm taking $ from my mom, but she's been after me to find a good dr for awhile. And I'll take whatever help I can get.)

AIP10 slogan: Looking to the horizon, not our feet.

• Moderators

My mother had offered to pay for a photo class for me for Christmas. I was so anxious about finding time to work on my photos, I never picked a class. So then I decided I'd instead ask her to pay for a naturopath--though now I'm thinking FMD. (A little embarrassing that I'm almost 39 and I'm taking $ from my mom, but she's been after me to find a good dr for awhile. And I'll take whatever help I can get.)

I say a gift is a gift and of course you should take it. Are you sure you don't want the photo class, though? Getting back into photography seems like it's just as important to your health in all sorts of ways.

I love my FMD and am so grateful to have her, but she's literally costing me hundreds every month. I don't regret it, but it would be really frustrating to start and not be able to continue because of money. Don't know how much your mom is willing to do in terms of continuing cash (or how much you want to continue depending on her for it).

It's none of my business, really, but just thought my experience might help you make your decision.

"Looking at the horizon and not our feet"

Love. One caveat. With my newfound love of ballet it is my feet that are on my horizon. I reserve the right to view both simultaneously!

I couldn't help but laugh out load about food hoarding. We will be the last survivors in case of apocalypse. I am a greedy hamster too. Every time at the supermarket cashiers ask either "big family, eh?" or "oh, you are having a party?". I love informing them that I am about to eat it all myself. Their faces. Priceless. My other friend (who is convinced that eating less is the key to being thin) looked inside my fridge and said: "Wait a minute, something is not right. Do you eat or just COLLECT food?". I was thinking recently if my love for food in general helps or not. I sort of envy people who don't get too excited about it. I didn't do shopping for AIP at all. I committed to deal with what I have :)

Which leads us to the reality check moment you had. Learning to shift focus from food to other things.That's amazing. I think that if there is something possibly missing in the whole program is the extended definition of stress management. The whole concept implies that if you eat well, sleep well and deal with stress you will be happy. Dealing with stress makes you less stressed in my opinion. Finding and doing something that actually makes you happy is so important. Even though it's part of stress management, for me it's something that should be dealt on it's own. Yes for putting your energy into creativity and self expression.

"Looking at the horizon and not our feet"

Love. One caveat. With my newfound love of ballet it is my feet that are on my horizon. I reserve the right to view both simultaneously!

Don't you dare to wreck the posture and look at your feet at the barre :D

Beets, my son is also 39. He's still in Film school and I love gifting him with things like airline tickets and other things he can't afford. I take him on fabulous vacations for two weeks every year as our family bonding time. Then we throw in some film festivals that I know he couldn't do without my help. I know he appreciates everything. Our agreement is that I get to do this now and later it will be his turn to treat me to things I can't afford. I'd say accept the gift as lovingly as its being offered. Your mom will most likely be very pleased that she can add something to your life experience.

Don't you dare to wreck the posture and look at your feet at the barre :D

Being fat from age 7, I never took ballet. I just signed up for a month or Bar Method classes so that I too can play on the Bar. I can't wait.

Question: shopping for AIP? I am waiting for my ISWF which should arrive tomorrow. What foods are different with AIP? I have already dumped nightshades, beef, eggs and oranges which I am sensitive too. Should I be doing other things as well? Thanks for helping me.

• Moderators

Calee, we've got another log going with which we're documenting a 10-day AIP protocol starting today. You're welcome to join if you like. AIP is Whole30 plus eliminating:

*ghee

*nightshades (including spices made from peppers such as paprika)

*nuts and seeds (including spices made from seeds such as cumin)

*eggs

*NSAIDs (like ibubrofen and acetaminophen)

*coffee and cocoa--as gluten cross reactants

I think that's it. We're all pretty much on the same page I think with this, though some are also reducing or eliminating FODMAPs. Different AIP protocols call for different things.

Calee, bravo. I will do my broken record thing here, but it's all in your head. Hard as it is, once you overcome "I am not a dancing type" you will be amazed at how fear and doubt were preventing you from feeling inspired. I can't say this enough - barre, floor and piano don't care. It's you and them. Little get together.

There are a lot of threads here about AIP, but the best site to start would be PaleoMom.

Calee, we've got another log going with which we're documenting a 10-day AIP protocol starting today. You're welcome to join if you like. AIP is Whole30 plus eliminating:

*ghee

*nightshades (including spices made from peppers such as paprika)

*nuts and seeds (including spices made from seeds such as cumin)

*eggs

*NSAIDs (like ibubrofen and acetaminophen)

*coffee and cocoa--as gluten cross reactants

Thank you! I just wrote a post over there asking if I could tag along. I hope nobody else will mind. I could use the additional support as my Whole30 looks a bit different than the usual. This will definitely keep me off nuts for the remainder of my Whole30. This morning was my last cup of decaf. I think it will make a difference for me in my inflamation levels.

• Moderators

Day 37

The college where I work does this thing every spring in which the student government gets to choose a surprise day off for everyone. Today was that day! No crazy teaching schedule for me. Instead, I leisurely read the paper, did laundry, cooked a chicken and three veggie side dishes, met a deadline, and went for a 13-mile bike ride in the middle of the afternoon. So delightful! And since I have tonight off, I'm also going to catch up on more grading.

8 BP tea, no ghee (figured out it's pretty good with puerh tea)

M1 11:30 broccoli with bacon, chicken wings and leg+skin, roasted celeriac and sunchokes

M2 5 cabbage with bacon, pot roast, mashed japanese yam

I bought my chicken from a different source this week and holy man was it good. Tiny little bird cost me $10, but the taste was phenomenal. You better believe I'm using every scrap of that bird. Broth is in the crotch pot as I type.

It got me thinking that this is how food should be. Americans are spoiled by how crazy cheap our groceries are. We don't, as a whole, appreciate our food and all the labor that goes into it. Spend more, eat less, savor more. This is the route I'm happy to take. Of course, it also results in a healthier, happier me, to boot.

I discovered on my bike ride that the co-op has started their Wednesday farmer's market again. Oh how I love spring. Lilacs are in bloom, too.

oh Lilacs! They are so beautiful.

I wanted to say something back to the Vitamix discussion. Back in 1974 when I was making baby food, I got my first Vitamix. It was a green base and a stainless steel top. It was great and I should never have gotten rid of it. A few years ago when I was eating all raw, I bought another one to make smoothies etc. I found that one on ebay for $75.00. Those old ones never break. I might be worth cruising ebay to see if there are any available.

• Moderators

Just wanted to mention that I'm feeling really good--like myself but with expectation of even greater health. I think in the past I've gotten to this point and figured it was as good as it was going to get, that it would take Herculean efforts to get healthier (and slimmer--that always used to be the benchmark for health). But now I wake up and go through my day just fine, accepting how things are in the present moment and grateful for them. Believing things will only get better but not obsessively thinking about the future and how much better it's going to be.

I think this is the truly awesome effect of how this way of eating transforms not just our bodies but our minds and spirits. It's that calm. Granted, I'm also cultivating it with gentle happy movement, meditation, and nightly hypnosis. But I wanted to mention it because I noticed that I'm much quicker to gripe than to glow.

Speaking of . . . I'm not yet feeling that "glow," that thing I used to always call my mojo. It's still lurking beneath the surface. And that's OK. I'm preparing myself, and it's simply going to take as long as it's going to take.

:D

Lilacs are my favorite. They also always remind me of someone I dated way back in my early 20s, but broke up with because of my self-esteem issues. April is the cruelest month and all.

Aside from that, the smell is magical. When we someday buy a house I will immediately plant a lilac tree, or a few.

I complete agree that groceries, like gas, are way too cheap in this country. That said, the pastured chickens I can find are usually over $20--and tiny, but with the wonderful broth-making neck intact And you can definitely bet I get every molecule of useful nutrients out of those babies!

Your bike ride sounds glorious! I'm buying myself a helmet this weekend and pumping my tires. I live reading your blog. Always sets me back on my path with a more patient, calmer spirit. I also really have to start meditating. Been saying that for months.

• Moderators

Wow. I'll stop feeling like my $10 chicken was expensive!

One thing at a time, Beets. We can always find something to beat ourselves up over. You're making great progress. Ride your bike when it's time. Meditate when you decide to. In the meantime, focus on all you have accomplished!

• Moderators

Day 38

Another gloriously beautiful day here. So much so that I talked myself into going for a bike ride in the middle of the day instead of grading papers. I never regret that decision! It's such a relief to be in nature for that 80 minutes or so. Very grounding and meditative. I need to take time to be in nature as much as I need exercise and good food.

I also got my hair done today for the first time since January. Feeling more and more like myself every day. Did I mention I'm (fairly comfortably) wearing my jean capris that didn't at all fit not so long ago?

8 BP tea

11 M1 pork loin and veg, cabbage w/bacon

1:30 M2/postwo chicken breast, roasted celeriac and sunchokes

5 M3 pot roast, broccoli salad

I don't know if it's the cabbage or the broccoli salad, but something is giving me the toots and I don't like it. I've grown so accustomed to minimal gas and intestinal distress. Nice to know that I finally know what's normal so I can demand it of myself!

Yay for jeans!

Saw this quote today and thought of you:

We do not feel horror because we are threatened by a sphinx; we dream of a sphinx in order to explain the horror we feel. – Borges

Archived