The Seduction of LadyM, or, my Whole30+

LadyM

Sounds like you had an awesome day! Wheee, jeans! Wheee, getting hair done! As soon as my eczema meds started working, that's exactly what I did. It always feels like such a nice thing to do for yourself :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 39

Started the day feeling like a million bucks. I put on makeup, heels, and a dress with a belt. Sometimes a gal just needs to get her hairs did, yo. Was very productive at work. Didn't get a lick of exercise.

8:30 BP tea

M1 10:30 last of the pork loin and veg, 1/2 avo

M2 4:30 big ol' green salad with avo, olives, evoo dressing, chicken breast, last of the roasted celeriac and sunchokes. Meh.

Then I ate the rest of my coconut butter. I pretty much ate this jar in a week. Ugh. Food without brakes alert! No more of this stuff for me. It's like it's the only "bad" thing left for me to eat in excess so the rebel in me gobbles it up. OK, OK. Got the message. Listening. And refusing to beat myself up over it. I think pizazzing up my meals will help. I've been digging into the coconut butter after lackluster dinners. As if it makes up for them. Oh well.

Off to see a play tonight. It's a student production so I have very low expectations. It's good to get out of the house, though, on days I'm looking hot, right? Think I'll get a little rest before curtain, though. It'll keep me up past bedtime. And I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my busy Saturday morning market and yoga routine.

I have polished off a couple jars of coconut butter a little too fast also (I don't even like it that much) but the last jar I bought was 6 weeks ago. And there is still some left. Ill have a bit here or there, usually when my meal is gone but I need a little extra. I think I maybe reached a point where I'm not nutrient starved so it lost the appeal. I probably needed all that fat at one point. It's no bigs, glad you don't think so either.

LadyM, my goal is to start pizzazzing up my meals too. I find I'm eating more fruit. I haven't hit the jar of coconut butter,monky because it doesn't call to me. I'm 17 days in and need to try making a Paleo recipe. Keeping it simple is getting too boring!

Walking on those heels will count as a bodyweight wo, deal?

Coconut butter is evil. Its out of my kitchen forever. I have noticed that meals that were below average launch a "little something". Oh well, work in progress. Funny how you start slowly and controlled and then bam.

Not worth stressing out, you and Mo are right.

Have a fantastic weekend.

• Moderators

Yes, Nadia, I agree: coconut butter is out of my pantry. I kept the previous jar for months and months and months. But this one went in a week. Time to slow it down. By force. Cuz it's necessary.

I deliberately didn't eat cabbage or broccoli for dinner to avoid gas at the theatre. But then I had gas at the theatre anyway. WTH? A salad? Or is the 1/2 c of coconut butter to blame? OOh. Maybe it's the sunchokes and celeriac. That now seems to be the common denominator. . . .

Also, it's funny to me how no one seems satisfied with chicken anymore. I'm going to do magic with ground beef this week. Taking any and all your ground beef faves. haven't decided yet about the market in the morning. There's tension between my desire for new pretty produce, my not-yet-empty fridge, and my pocketbook.

I'm going through a jar of coconut butter a month. Not too bad, but I definitely reach for it when I want a little something extra. Like last night. Sigh. I love it on my morning sweet potatoes, though, so I hate to get rid of it all together.

I'd make chili and bake it in an avocado like I saw on another thread. That sounded good!

• Moderators

I'd make chili and bake it in an avocado like I saw on another thread. That sounded good!

That would be good, Jen, but I'm doing AIP right now which means no chili.

• Moderators

Day 40

Lovely day today. Since I went to bed late I woke up late, but in time to get to my blissful yoga class. I left feeling so good I decided to go to the beach after tidying at home. First beach day of the year. Soaked up some sun and made glorious homemade vitamin D.

Was not hungry today, likely because of all the coconut butter yesterday. Rolling with it.

9:30 BP tea

M1 6 zoodles with pesto, ground beef cooked with onions in bacon; an apple

I may have cured myself of any desire for coconut. And I haven't pooped today. It's all connected, I have no doubt.

Meatballs and meatloaves, and stuffed pumpkins, and squashes!!! No eggs works, really. Ground beef is my friend, I can't spoil ground beef. I like veal more tbh, because it's milk fed but cheaper than gf. At least here. I also like mix 2/3 beef and 1/3 happy pork.

So many things you can mix in! Mushrooms, bacon, yam, pineapple, blueberries, carrots, all the herbs in the world, zhuccinni, olives, artichokes and moremoremore. Stuffed acorn squash is a cool family dinner. Easy and looks so cool. Stuffed summer squashes and zhuccinnis are the easiest thing in the world. I like how easy it is to portion this stuff. I get hungry. Bye :D

I need to roast my first chicken in my life, so we do an experience exchange. Happy bird is 25 $ but crispy skin is sososo tempting.

This has all been a really fun, and informative thread to read. I've been having a kind of down day (day 6). Just no energy. It felt really helpful to follow your progress over the past days, and see the ups and downs of it all. I like the sense of humor and openness, and all the supportive replies.

Thanks, all!

• Moderators

Oops - sorry about that. How about just browning it and serving it on plantain tostadas with guac?

Mmmmm, yes. Just waiting on my plantain to ripen. Thanks for the idea!

• Moderators

Meatballs and meatloaves, and stuffed pumpkins, and squashes!!! No eggs works, really. Ground beef is my friend, I can't spoil ground beef. I like veal more tbh, because it's milk fed but cheaper than gf. At least here. I also like mix 2/3 beef and 1/3 happy pork.

So many things you can mix in! Mushrooms, bacon, yam, pineapple, blueberries, carrots, all the herbs in the world, zhuccinni, olives, artichokes and moremoremore. Stuffed acorn squash is a cool family dinner. Easy and looks so cool. Stuffed summer squashes and zhuccinnis are the easiest thing in the world. I like how easy it is to portion this stuff. I get hungry. Bye :D

I need to roast my first chicken in my life, so we do an experience exchange. Happy bird is 25 $ but crispy skin is sososo tempting.

I used to think I was a creative cook until I met you, Nadia. Thank you for once again reminding me of the limitless possibilities!

Also, I am kinda famous for my roasted chicken, so if you want my methods, hit me up.

• Moderators

This has all been a really fun, and informative thread to read. I've been having a kind of down day (day 6). Just no energy. It felt really helpful to follow your progress over the past days, and see the ups and downs of it all. I like the sense of humor and openness, and all the supportive replies.

Thanks, all!

Welcome, Shelda! There are truly wonderful people around here. I probably would have lost my mind or quit without their support. My log probably shows that clear as day. Best of luck on your w30 and please stick around!

• Moderators

Day 41

Another gorgeous day here. No beach but a long bike ride in the morning and a yoga lecture/meditation in the afternoon. Honesuckles are in full bloom alongside the lilacs. Quite a treat!

First day sans coconut and not such a big deal. I have a feeling coconut oil is OK, but that too much coconut flesh and canned milk is not. We shall see. I'm doing without all of it until Day 50 and then I'll reassess.

7 BP coffee (decided a little coffee was in order after no BM yesterday. Success.)

M1 1 cabbage and bacon with sardines; kraut; apple

M2 6 zoodles with ground beef, bacon, pesto; three apricots; broccoli salad with kraut

Did anyone else read Michael Pollan's NYTimes Mag cover story today about bacteria and gut health? It's officially jumped the shark. We're no longer freaks. :)

Just read the first page- I've heard of this concept before but couldn't remember what it was called. Yes! I'm thrilled this is happening. It's huge!!! Thanks for sharing.

"Restoration Ecology" my new fave hobby :D

• Moderators

Reposting here after hijacking Moluv's log:

The guru whose talk I went to yesterday afternoon told a story about a man with eczema who went to his guru for a cure. He had it all over the top of his head, had tried everything, and was desperate. This man was the leader of an ashram, very sweet/kind/loving, beloved in his community. The guru said, I can give you the cure but you will not do it. The man begged, pleaded, and waited. The guru said, it has nothing to do with your body or diet, only your behavior and thoughts. Your eczema will be cured within two weeks. Again, the man begged and pleaded. Finally, the guru relented, when the time came. He said, you are so angry--at your master for dying and leaving you alone, at the people who work for you for mismanaging things . . . and he carried on for a bit describing all the things the man was rightfully angry about . . . but you always smile and when someone slaps you you turn the other cheek. You must go to the ashram and tell everyone that you are angry and why you are angry. Stand in front of everyone and shout it out loud. Make sure they hear it. The man was reluctant, of course, because he didn't want to hurt anyone, but he was desperate to heal the inflammation that plagued him on the top of his head. He did as the guru said. The people were so shocked by his behavior that they turned on him. He lost the ashram and his community. His eczema was healed.

This story was in response to a question about why good people get cancer, or something, and it was just part of his answer. He added something like "When we realize the truth it may be an ugly truth."

I have done lots of work over the years with Louise Hay's you can heal your body work and mantras, and I believe there's merit to it. I don't think it's the magic bullet, however, just as I don't think W30 AIP will be the magic bullet. I believe these ailments we have are strange gifts, in a way, that guide us deeper into ourselves. Cancer at 17 changed and guided my life forever after. Figuring out what it means is simply part of what I'm here to do. I am blessed to know that--and to realize the blessing when I look around and see so many people lost and struggling to make meaning of their lives, or worse, not even trying. This isn't meant as a judgment, really. I don't see myself as any better or better off, really, but the point is I can finally see the blessing in what has felt like a curse.

And the work is not done.

What if our ailments, if what we're facing on a day-to-day basis isn't an anomaly or a strange thing that keeps us from being "normal"? What if it is our path?

(See. This is what happens when you hang out with gurus and return to your morning meditation practice. LadyM gets all woowoo. xoxoxo)

• Moderators

Day 42

Difficult teaching day. They happen. No exercise to speak of today, and not sure I'll get any in this evening.

Feel like I'm scraping bottom with my food supply. Will need to make a leafy greens run this week at some point. I keep forgetting about the kale in my freezer. OK, maybe I just need to cook the food I actually have and remember where it is.

8 BP coffee

M1 1 calf liver sauteed with bacon and onions over romaine and arugula, tossed with vinaigrette

M2 6 LO ground beef, fried plantain slices with guacamole; four dates

I like you all woowoo! Thanks for sharing that story. Please keep them coming.

While I don't think that the Whole30 is going to necessarily cure me of anything, I do think that abstaining from my usual general way of eating, ie: dairy, nightshades, nuts etc, does give me a wonderful opportunity to experience the why's of some of my behavior. Bored? Pop a few nuts in there. A little disappointed? A small party in my mouth can help that. Low energy? Have a few dates. This past week of jaw dropping fatigue really gave me a glimpse of what I might have done in the past. I only saw what I might have done because I was just riding out the overwhelming fatigue instead of trying to feed it out of myself.

I woke up to my eczema patch being smooth after these last 20 days of it being worse than usual.

Thanks for all the advise you offered up while I was struggling! I appreciate you.

• Moderators

I am so so glad you're experiencing a shift right now, Calee. And I'm delighted if anything I've offered has helped. I certainly appreciate all your honesty and support too.

The emotional eating part is huge and there are so many layers. Whole30's impact on that is as big or bigger than the physical effects for me, though I'm not sure I can even separate the two.

How's the no-coconut eating going for you? I must admit I've amended my no-coconut protocol to no coconut flesh or milk. Yesterday I fried plantains in coconut oil and drank coconut water. I simply could not cool down, and nothing cools like coconut water. Anyway, nothing but positive effects so far. Though my tendency to over-rely and binge on coconut butter, flakes, and milk is enough of a reason to stay away for a while.

Archived