confused about the amount of fat per meal!

mcgoogle

Hi everyone!

I started the whole 30 yesterday, and today when I was looking over the meal template I was kind of confused. I know a bunch of fats are listed with their serving size on the template, however, when the servings are shown at the top (the thumb of the hand, etc.) it looks as though you can all of them per meal which I was confused about. For example, if I am adding 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a salad, I then should not be adding a closed handful of nuts? or some olives?

For lunch today I had:

-1 hard boiled egg

-1/2 a chicken breast (2 whole chicken breasts were cooked in 2 tablespoosn of olive oil and as I said, I had half of one breast)

-A plate of vegetables consisting of asparagus, broccoli and carrots

-a closed handful of almonds

....and about 20 minutes later I did have a macintosh apple as well.

how is that?

and for dinner:

a bowl of arugula/lettuce

one red pepper

some sliced red onion

half a grilled chicken breast (made earlier)

sprinkled balsamic vinegar/1 tablespoon of olive oil

and half a sweet potato (sliced and baked in the oven)--sprinkled with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt

-----

Thank you SO MUCH for any help and clarification!!!

I understand it as the thumb size is for your oil or ghee fats whereas plant fats like coconut, avocado and olives are larger serving sizes (the pictures of handfuls). So mixing a thumb (which is described as 1-2 tbsp to make things even more vague) with a handful of almonds sounds perfectly reasonable. It is my own personal view that it is difficult to overeat fat when eating within the template because you will get full from all the other food. And if one meal is a little higher fat it will probably even out over the next few meals anyways. I think your food listed above looks perfect.

@ Moluv...I have a feeling I am eating too much coconut milk! Could you clarify how much coconut milk and coconut flakes is considered a serving?

Thank you!

Straight from the book: coconut meat/flakes: one to two open (heaping) handfuls, coconut milk: 1/4-1/2 of a 14oz can.

That's a lot of coconut! Which is good because sometimes I just drink coconut milk a few sips straight up from the can myself.

Cool, thank you! I can't seem to find it in the book. I even use my Kindle search tool. What page is it on? Lastly, that is per meal, yes? I just consumed a quarter cup in my coffee and thought it was a lot.

I find, if I am craving sweets, some coconut milk helps cut the craving. Has anyone experienced that?

Chapter 16, Meal Planning Made Easy, (p.194 in my book).

I think coconut tastes sweet even though its really not, so it's probably better to eat in place of sweets due to its high fat and fiber content. However, eating ANYTHING during a craving (not real hunger) just reinforces your brains pleasure circuitry around food and I'm pretty sure is what the W30 "eat 3 meals a day" mentality is all about. Even so, I haven't noticed I'm suffering due the odd sip of coconut milk or handful of flakes after a meal. Just something to be aware of I guess.

Archived