Frustrated with workouts

missmess

I started another whole30 and now on day 9- and I am so frustrated with my workouts!! I do crossfit 5x a week, 6am classes.

I am just so gassed lately, doing regular workouts that were hard to begin with, but never this hard (if that makes sense). For example we did a 20 minute amrap of 20 burpees, 20 wall balls, 20 box jumps & 20 KB swings - and I fizzled out so early. and on strength days, I am weaker before. Its as if eating 'badly' made me stronger??

I am hoping someone can help, maybe I am not eating enough of something? I try to follow the meal template as much as I can, but here is my log if anyone could maybe take a look at it. I would really appreciate it.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8623-miss-mess-whole30-round-2/

One suggestion I can make is to back off from five to three times per week on the crossfit for the next week or so.... On one of days you take off do something totally different that is a low load on your body... Bike,swim,jog followed by foam roller and streching, on the other day do something explosive but fast twitch like 100yd dash x8 or suicide line drills or stadium stairs sprints..... Or just plain relax

You will get your stamina back.... Some times just the mental break helps

Also make sure you are eating enough starchy veg and eating a recovery meal of lean protein and starchy veg after your workouts

I've got a renewed perspective on this whole CrossFit thing. I LOVE the methodology, but in my home gym, long metcons have taken a backseat to shorter intense sessions. If you have a commute or chance to listen while doing housework/whatever, I urge you to listen to this podcast:

http://everydaypaleo.com/paleo-lifestyle-and-fitness-podcast-episode-27/

Short answer: you're probably pushing too hard (and that's hard for most people to swallow).

Kind of in line with what FenderBender suggested, remember Greg Glassman's recommendation to do different activities not just Crossfit; it's actually one of the pillars of Crossfit to mix it up inside and outside of the box.

As far as low energy levels, I don't think you're reating enough for Crossfit. I'm assuming you wake up really early and have your breakfast before your WOD, but if you have your breakfast after your WOD, I'd have a quick snack of nuts with lean protein before the WOD and a snack of something starchy (sweet potatoes) and protein post WOD and potentially increase your protein and fat portions for the rest of the meals if the 2 snacks still don't cut it.

Also remember that conditioning your body to burn fat not carbs takes a while and if you don't stick to your diet all the time, you kinda have to restart the conditioning process. Hang in there and good luck!

thank you! I will definitely take a listen to the podcast above.

and will start eating a pre and post meal - Its just hard to eat anything that early! Its hard to not push - something I really enjoy doing and love seeing the results. Its hard to find a balance - esp now that my body is used to waking up every day at 5am even the days I take off.Might as well go when I am up! I usually take off weekends.

I appreciate everyone's input. :)

I really believe he " magic" is proper recovery.... That's both rest and eating enough post workout

I know it's good hormonaly to eat something before a workout so I have a coffee with some coconut milk and ocationally and egg.... But I am perfectly fine to hit a hard and heavy workout on an empty stomach.... The caveat is that I properly fueled the day before...

I'm in a six week phase while doing a whole42 of two-a-days three days a week and two more days of heavy strength training..... ( Ill gomback down to 4 days a week afterwards) It's very calculated and every workout is totally different so I only see the same thing once every ten days or so ( I did back squats,front squats, and stiff leg deads today in a PAP complex with front and lateral jump boxes.... My next all leg WO won't be until next mon and it will be sprints and stairs). ..... I'm eating at least three large sweet potatoes 1 plantain carrots and other roots every day as well as two or three fruits.....

Anyway I'm at my kickboxing school ( combat fitness is similar to crossfit, just tailored for MMA types), another power lifter type gym for strength days, and the track about two days a week..... I'd go nuts if I did combat fitness five days a week and I'm an instructor. :)

Archived