Helen's Wild Blue Yonder

helen

Yesterday was terrible. I seem to be under the sugar dragon's control right now. And yes I am ovulating. I need to read that hormone book! But my students are taking their comp final as I type this so freedom is just around the bend.

Meal 1: eggs, green smoothie (spinach, cucumber, blackberries)

Meal 2: chorizo sausage and cucumber

Meal 3: macadamia nuts (way too many, these still are a food without brakes issue for me) and a plum

I bought the macadamia nuts to take with me to the zoo on a school field trip with my daughter and 10 kindergarten classes. I have to carry the lunches of 8 students so I wanted to bring something extra and fulling so I don't eat sweets.

I am not doing a Whole30 but I obviously have very strong sugar addiction issues so I am going to be very close to compliant the next few days and go from there. So no beer, chocolate or cookies today at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been pretty 'compliant' all week and that feels good.

I had leftover Paleo meatloaf for breakfast yesterday and today chocolate chili. It has only taken me 5 months to break free of the 'breakfast' meal mentality. This is huge for me.

The gluten in the day time is killing my energy levels. I wish we had more local restaurants that offered something good. It is the season I socialize and with friends with no kids that means a lot of lunches out. Yesterday I had a huge salad with chicken and mushroom sesame dressing. No gluten but probably a small amount of soy. It was a good choice.

• 3 months later...

Started a September Whole30 and am excited.  I've been binge eating pretty much since June (lots of social eating/drinking) and it is time to reel this back in. 

Day 1:

Meal 1:  eggs cooked in ghee with tomato, broccoli and coffee with coconut milk.  Green smoothie (kale, pineapple, banana).  The green smoothie was leftover from my kids so only about 4 oz.

Meal 2:  Chicken sausage and watermelon and homemade Kombucha.  I also munched on a handful of coconut flakes while the girls baked sugar cookies.  This helped me mentally at least plus I needed some more fat in this meal.

Meal 3:  Tuna salad and a handful of macadamia nuts.

I was very low energy last night.  I also want to eat mindlessly in the evening and this was very apparent.  Spent all day at the pool so pretty worn out.  I need to buy some Natural Calm that is compliant (the flavor I have now has Stevia in it).  Good news is I slept GREAT last night. Even with my 5 year old waking me up with ear pain complaints I slept like a rock.  Onward...

Day 2

Really busy Labor Day morning (cleaning, prepping food, laundry) and then spent five hours at our neighborhood pool (closes today, sniff, sniff).

Meal 1:  spinach, mushroom, garlic, tomato egg scramble (this was not enough as we only had 4 eggs that my husband and I split), coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2:  chicken sausage, handful of macadamia nuts, watermelon (this was rushed to get out the door, thankful for the nuts or I would have not made it until supper).

Meal 3:  chocolate chili topped with a whole tomatoe and half an onion and a little more watermelon.  I was famished but luckily did not snack while cooking. 

Will be better prepared for tomorrow.

Exercise:  yoga with the daughter and pool swimming.

Overall today went well.  I didn't have the energy crash I had yesterday but I did wait too long between Meal 2 and 3 (or not enough at Meal 2) and that was not good.  Because of it I scarfed down dinner which is not going along with my Concious eating principles I am trying to follow.  But alas progress not perfection for real.

Horrible sleep last night (up to pee a lot which I equate with sugar detox).  Am lagging today.

Meal 1:  2 eggs and green drink 

Meal 2:  chicken thigh, olives, banana, carrots

Meal 3:  chicken thighs (several), guacamole, little mayo, almonds and raisins. 

Meal 4:  Kombucha after yoga

Got home from work starving (I teach at a community college and had 3 labs back to back) as totally not enough to eat at first two meals.  I made 3 eggs this morning but just couldn't eat them.  I know, I know that green smoothies (this was 2 cups kale, beet, handful of blueberries) not cool but I just am not into morning routine yet on Tuesdays.  Will get up earlier next Tuesday.   Will need to eat again today as working out hard tonight at 6:00 pm. 

Ended up skipping the workout and going to a pretty good Iyengar yoga class.  I was so exhausted (I did a Shanti generation yoga class with my oldest and fell asleep in shavasana) but glad I drug myself to the Iyengar class.  Totally re-energized me.  Going again tonight.

Up to pee!  Oh my gosh - I hate that part of starting this Whole30 thing.  I have no idea why it happens, but it's darn annoying (and a bummer because my little boy has accidents every night).  I'm on Day 7 right now (our first Whole30 was in April) and it felt great to get through that first day.  My system was so bloated and fat and tired feeling and, even though I thought I wasn't too off track, my off-trackness was happening more and more and more - so easy for that to happen!  Hope your day goes well and you get a good night's sleep!

Up to pee!  Oh my gosh - I hate that part of starting this Whole30 thing.  I have no idea why it happens, but it's darn annoying (and a bummer because my little boy has accidents every night).  I'm on Day 7 right now (our first Whole30 was in April) and it felt great to get through that first day.  My system was so bloated and fat and tired feeling and, even though I thought I wasn't too off track, my off-trackness was happening more and more and more - so easy for that to happen!  Hope your day goes well and you get a good night's sleep!

Thank you!   I went to yoga and it was a lifesaver.  I was dying.  I did yoga with my 6 year old after school (Shanti generation on Netflix per her request) and I fell asleep during the final rest.  I didn't think I was going to make it just being in the house so went to a great class and stocked by Earth Fare (our version of Whole Foods) looking for Natural Calm without Stevia (they are out).  Boo hoo.  But wow that was nice.  I am not hungry so I guess that was my meal 3.  I hope to sleep tonight!!

Another bad night of sleep.  Five year old got in bed with me and kept me up from 2-4 and I also had to pee a zillion times.  But, I rallied.  Tried crossfit.  Went to a yin yoga class.  Mopped the main living area.  Overall, a bit agitated this evening but doing okay.

Meal 1:  2 eggs and coffee with coconut milk (I was scared to eat much before my first CrossFit)

Meal 2:  chocolate chili, whole tomato and guacamole

Meal 3:  salmon patty and tartar sauce

Meal 4:  chicken sausage and a big plate of cauliflower rice and Kombucha

Tomorrow will be better on the greens.  I was hungry but didn't want to eat too much before yin yoga.  I think the CF made an extra mini meal okay but don't want to get in this habit.  No fruit today as I am feeling the sugar dragon and didn't want to feed it.

Hope sleep is better tonight. 

If you're exercising you need to have a pre and postWO - you end up having 5 meals! Your preWO eggs and coffee with coconut milk was a perfect preWO (fat and protein). Go for protein and starchy vegie carbs postWO. You could have had your postWO then meal 1 later :)

Adding your greens would help bump up the vegies - try to go for 2-3 cups per meal :)

Well, the kids slept better last night but I woke up with a husband gone and both a 5 and 6 year old a year old practically on top of me.  I'm ready for a good solid night of sleep.  Hopefully can catch up this weekend.  I took 'Natural Calm' (I had to buy a new one as mine had stevia in it) and I have no idea if that helped or not but it didn't hurt. 

My eating today was kind of a bust.  I didn't eat anything not compliant but I wouldn't call this Whole 30 eating either.  I had a grilling mishap (meaning I shouldn't multitask or I should set a timer) and the chicken I was grilling to bring to the lab with me tonight got completely charred.  Black.  Nothing left.  And then my daughters were having a 'soap experiment' as they called it in the bathroom and so I was rushing to get ready for work (I teach night labs at a community college).  I know I'll be too spent to log tonight when I get home so I thought I'd better get it over with.  Will do better tomorrow (the story of my life!).

Meal 1:  chicken sausage and big plate of cauliflower rice and coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  leftover salmon patties, homemade tartar sauce, sliced whole cucumber, pluot (cross between apricot and plum, my botanist friend raves about them, I thought they tasted like a plum) and black tea unsweetened.

Meal 3:  Larabar and macadamia nuts IN THE CAR and a Kombucha.    This not only is lame for Whole 30 but I am trying to follow Geneen Roth's 7 guidelines for eating and one of them is never eat in the car.  Oh well.

I hope I'm not starving when I get home.  Or I am going to push through because if I eat before bed it messes me up for the morning. 

Wow.  Long day.  2 hour power yoga, errands, laundry, cooking, taking kids to friends pool for four hours.  I am beat. 

Meal 1:  2 eggs and coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  tuna steak, roasted vegetables, cucumber and olives and a kombucha (lunch at Earth Fare ~sort of a mini Whole Foods~and all 100% compliant).

Meal 3:  small serving of chocolate chili with tomatoes and onion and a banana.  And then a Larabar.  The Larabar was a mistake.  Live and learn.  That was definitely feeding the sugar dragon.

Meal 4:  chicken sausage and cauliflower rice and macadamia nuts.

Meal 1 was really my extra meal for exercise (that class kicked my butt as much as CF today).  Okay, hope to get lunachicks down and then some well deserved zzzzzzzzzz.

Great night's sleep (finally).  What woke me up was my arm being asleep because my five year old who had crawled in bed yet again was laying on top of it.  

Meal 1:  2 eggs cooked in ghee with spinach, garlic and tomato.  Coffee and coconut milk.

Meal 2:  Earth Fare again:  pot roast, baked salmon, baked turnips, baked cauliflower, peas, kalamata olives, watermelon.  Kombucha.

Meal 3:  Chicken sausage and cauliflower rice and (too many) macadamia nuts.

Meal 4:  Turkey burger, mustard, coconut flakes.

I had coffee at a kids birthday party around 3 pm.  There was a LOT of junk food around.  A lot.  The coffee seemed like a good idea.  I hope it doesn't bite me later in terms of sleep.  Did a 90 minute power yoga class so needed a 4th meal.  Might have been mindless eating.  Not sure.  Day 7 and going strong!

Hmmm...did not realize that. I eat sugar snap peas all the the time (grow abundantly in our garden) and I thought they were a compliant legume but I just looked it up and see that peas are okay but only if you eat the pod too.  Makes sense.  Good to know.  I don't really like peas anyway outside the pod.

Slept pretty well but have had the blahs all day.  Went to a friend's book reading and then the zoo so at least a lot of it was getting Vitamin D therapy.  Hopefully the mood will blow off by tomorrow (it will after yoga I'm sure, I should have gone this morning in retrospect).

Meal 1:  3 eggs cooked in ghee with spinach, garlic and tomato.  Coffee with coconut milk. 

Meal 2:  Turkey burger covered with guacamole and a Larabar (yes once again prob not a good choice for me ~ this was the last one in the house at least).

Meal 3:  grilled chicken, cauliflower rice and pistachios.  I thought I liked macadamia nuts.  Yowza.  The pistachios were like crack.  But I did okay limiting them. 

I read on the Whole30 timeline that day 10 was a common day for people to crave because the novelty has worn off yet they aren't feeling the magic.  I don't have any cravings at all but I do want to eat for emotional reasons.  Good to recognize, hope this mood phases out fast.   No exercise today except walking all over the zoo.  I should remember to always hit the gym when I wake up kind of blue. 

Off to put the little ones down and then I'm taking a bath and going to bed!

The blues are a drag aren't they.  I'm finding myself moody here and there and feeling snappish.  You're totally right on the exercise thing and I really need to heed that advice myself.  I always feel better afterwards and even if my head is still grumpy, I feel better just because I accomplished something that was just for me.  I caught myself thinking I could just eat out the other night - I think part of the cravings for me is thinking it will be easy enough to get right back where I am, but I don't think that's the case.  I'm just starting to sleep well and it's a real treat.  Hope you sleep well.

I am happy I figured out a compliant place to eat out.  It feels less oppressive to me even if it is the hot bar at Earth Fare (like Whole Foods) or the food coop.  It is just nice to think if I haven't cooked I have an option that is there (although I think I spent $11 last time on my meal, yikes!! But the kids eat free most evenings so that balanced it out).  

I feel good today which I attitritube 100% to yoga today.  The guy just moved to Knoxville and he does this qi gong yoga fusion thing that is so energizing.  Feeling blessed for sure :)

Finally logging Monday (long day but energy levels were good at least).  Ate a late dinner due to girl scouts (how I got suckered into being a co-leader I don't know).  I slept well but had a hard time falling asleep.  I work a long day on Tuesdays (teach 3 labs back to back with 10 minutes in between) and Mondays have turned into a bad planning slog ~  favorite yoga until 1:30, girls home at 3:00 who have to be fed as they have a 90 minute dance class and then every other week girl scouts.  Also, dance mom waiting room hell for that 90 minutes.  The things we do for our kids.  :)   Mondays are our only 'activity day' at least so far.

Meal 1:  salmon patty with tartar sauce made from homemade mayo and baby carrots, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  whole sweet potato, chicken wings, pistachio nuts, black tea

Meal 3:  tuna salad with celery and onions, watermelon, pistachio nuts

Had a GT Kombucha around 4 pm and that was so refreshing (plus I got to leave the dance waiting room for a bit and walk to this kind of funky health food store).  it really is the little things....

Meal 3: 

Ha!  No, not that bad (although some have the potential for sure).  It is just not my favorite mom 'scene' (I wear birkenstocks.  And have a job).  Individually the women are all nice and some are cool but it is just sitting in this hot waiting room on uncomfortable chairs making small talk for an hour and half kind of thing.  I actually want to find something else for next year but this year my daughters could be in the same class and that kind of rocks. 

Well, crap day at work (student got burned, not my fault but I feel very bad for her as it looked very painful) so that was stressful.  I came home from work wanting to binge and did a little bit but on compliant foods.  Went to yoga and it was good.  I go to a private studio and the Y downtown (younger population so has good yoga classes, the Y by my house is old people yoga).  The teacher did this workshop I was debating attending and now wish I had (Richard Rosen~he wrote a book on pranayama, breath work).  But I am receiving some of the benefits because he did a very relaxing centering at the beginning and end of class sandwiched by a challenging workout.  I'm feeling off my game with yoga lately.  I want the magic back.  But anyway, food:

Meal 1:  chicken sausage, carrots, black coffee with coconut milk (this was not enough but I had to force it down as I have a long day and sometimes cannot eat lunch)

Meal 2:  small amount of tuna salad, banana, Kombucha (ran out of time, I literally was eating in the hall outside the lab during the 7 minute break)

Meal 3:  chorizo sausage, pistachio nuts and macadamia nuts.  Considering I wanted beer I am okay with this.  I was stressed and then I caved and let the neighbor kids come over so never got back to the kitchen for a veggie.

I don't want to eat now.  I need to make cauliflower rice to have and something else like steamed broccoli ready when I get home on Tuesdays.  "Plans are nothing.  Planning is everything."  Who said that?  Some war person I'm sure....

Chaotic day yesterday and I wasn't very hungry.  We went to yin yoga for our anniversary and then tried to eat the hot bar at Earth Fare but there was nothing left.  Got home and I grilled some chicken marinating but then bedtimes for kids got in the way and that is all I managed.  And?  I'm not hungry this morning either.

Meal 1:  salmon patties, homemade tartar sauce, banana

Meal 2:  lots of brussels sprouts and chicken

Archived