Coconut oil makes me sick!

I have tried cooking with coconut oil three times now, spaced out, in meals that I eat regularly and every time it makes me vomit almost immediately. I'm fine with coconut milk, flakes etc, it is just the oil.

Any ideas why? Also, is it ok for me to rely on EVOO and avoocados as my main non-meat fat?

I get sick when I first start using coconut oil (but from the other end :-/). Are you using too much? Maybe start with less?

EVOO is good but don't cook with it at high heats. Avocados are a great fat. You can cook with some ghee or clarified butter too!

• 2 weeks later...

I would back off from coconut oil and try again at a later date, starting small. Or dont eat it at all. I think you can live a perfectly healthy life without coconut oil or coconut anything. I really like cooking with ghee.

I like the idea about the congealed fat on broth.

When I first tried coconut oil, it made me sick. So I cut back the portion size considerably and went from there. Now I can eat it right off the spoon with no problem. Spectrum makes a refined coconut oil, that many folks start off with and then progress to an unrefined oil. The difference is smell and taste. Coconut oil contains wonderful healing ingredients, but it is not like other oils and some have a hard time acclimating. Also, since it is anti-microbial, you might be detoxing.

• 1 month later...

Loving this forum. I was just thinking about how I was finding coconut oil to be really rich. Yummy but rich. I will reduce how much I use and how often I use if or a while, have some ghee in the fridge so will try some of that.

Archived