Fuel for long workouts

cayenne

So I realize folks here are doing a ton of CF for training but I am a long distance "triathlon doer" (still don't call myself a triathlete) and started this plan about 4 days ago and doing OK. Now I have not gone on a longer training session over a 50 mile ride on Day 1. I see fruit is kinda discouraged but I have been having 2 pieces a day(apple and a small banana around a meal). I have not been hungry although the craving are there but not horrible. I have a couple races on the schedule and really want suggestions for long rides in particular-banana and nuts, sweet potato and nuts? No, I am not making money at this sport so I don't need to keep a 24 mph pace riding:) Thanks, Cayenne

Thanks-don't think it "awakens the sugar dragon"-I am only on Day 4 and am pleased at how sweet a piece of fruit tastes! Black coffee is an acquired taste but I will get used to it. Going on another ride today but probably won't need any fuel as it will be less than 30 miles. Do you add anything to drink for the long workouts if stomaching solid fuel is an issue? I usually add Carbo-pro(malodextin-sp) with added electrolytes? Is the biggest thing about fruit to make sure it doesn't get you on that slippery slope? I love veggies etc and am doing OK for the most part-I am looking for the mental "This is great food" and I am getting "this is OK as I am hungry" Is this where we want to be with relationship to food as opposed to fantasizing all afternoon? Is it to die down the role of food to be in the background and enjoy other things in life?

• Moderators

The better your nutrition, the better chance you have of enjoying optimum health. Veggies beat fruit in all categories of nutrition, so a big concern is the convenience and taste of fruit reducing the amount of veggies you eat (and consequently reducing the quality of your nutritional intake).

What you eat and drink on a ride or long run depends a lot on what your stomach can take. I do pretty well with solid food, but some stomachs are more sensitive and react badly to the bulk/fiber. The best thing is to experiment with different options during training so that you don't get blindsided by problems during a race.

Archived