100% dark chocolate?

countrygirl

What is your opinion on 100% dark chocolate? The only ingredient being unsweetened cacao. Would this be whole30 approved? I know paleo-ifying desserts and junk food is not allowed. I am not much into chocolate and the bitter taste of 100% definitely isn't dessert to me. I think of it more as a snack. This particular bar has 22g of fat, 14 carbs, 7 fiber, 0 sugar in one serving (3 squares). Thoughts?

You had my interest right up until you said snack.

The goal with Whole30 is to eat 3 meals. If three meals doesn't work, 4 smaller meals is a good goal. If you get hungry between meals, eat a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies, and increase the size of your regular meals later.

To answer your original question, I know cocoa powder is OK to season food, but I'm thinking the snack bar might be SWYPO.

Thanks Nico,

I know snacking is not encouraged, but sometimes with work I end up with really long days and also find myself getting really hungry between meals, but unable to sit down and have a real mini-meal because I have so many back-to-back clients. I do my best to plan accordingly and I am learning how much I need to eat to hold me over without snacking.

Also, I feel silly asking, but what does SWYPO stand for? I'm a newbie!

A mini-meal can be pretty simple. We made homemade jerky so a slice of that with coconut flakes and a crunchy vegetable gets the job done. I know you probably don't want anything stinky. I have also seen of people making meatballs as their mini-meals. If you include some veggies and something like almond flour as the binder, that is a mini-meal all wrapped up.

When I was in the transition zone, I chose green olives as my snacks. I didn't know about the no-snacks, but I ate them thinking that they did not answer my body's request for sugar and gave my body the preferred fuel choice.

I have heard that tea is a nice distraction from snacking.

Good luck!

Something like a chicken salad would also be a good mini-meal. (Egg salad and tuna salad are also candidates, but might not be best with clients coming in and out.)

These are my go-to mini meals: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

I don't use the prosciutto anymore, and the last couple of batches have had grated zucchini and sweet potato instead of spinach and onion. They can be eaten cold and only take a couple of mouthfuls. Good combination of protein, fat and veg all in one. Also ridiculously simple to make. I made one last night and I reckon the total prep time was about 10 minutes. I didn't bother cooking the grated veg first. Just mixed everything up and threw the tray in the oven.

Archived