coconut cream concentrate - and what is it?

faymao

I saw a (post-30) paleo recipe that looks good for when I want to bring a baked good somewhere, but I'm having trouble figuring out what coconut cream concentrate is. It also says coconut butter, and I'm super confused. Now I'm wondering if it's a whole30 friendly ingredient.

Please note: this is the only recipe I've put aside for 'after'. I'm not craving it, all the ingredients are whole30 friendly (with one slight modification and assuming coconut cream concentrate is 'in'), but it's certainly outside of the template and I'm not interested in eating it now, so please don't worry about me 'paleofying' anything.

Also, I won't post the recipe here, because it's pretty tempting, but if I remember when I get home tonight, I'll post it in the post-30 section.

Thanks everyone!

I have seen tubes of coconut cream at Whole Foods and New Seasons (local to Oregon), but I have never tried it. Coconut Butter (aka Coconut Mana) is very stiff but melts to a nice consistancy and has great flavor. I had one jar, but really once it was 3/4 of the way down, I threw it away because it seems kind of desserty to me. I think you could just use the coconut that floats to the top in some cans of coconut milk. I beleive that Trader Joes calls their new full fat coconut milk "coconut cream". I bought one can. It actually has quite a few additives that seem unnecessary to me. None of them are prohibited, but I have to say that it did not taste good at all IMO.

Coconut cream concentrate, coconut manna and coconut butter are all basically the same thing (though, like Susan mentioned, some places call coconut milk, coconut cream...so watch out for that). It's just coconut meat that has been pulverized into a paste form. Good ones (and whole30 compliant ones) have nothing added to them...just coconut. They are typically pretty hard at room temp but melt fairly easily (like coconut oil). Artisana is a brand that is fairly easy to find in the US. I keep a couple of their single serving packets in my briefcase for travel hunger emergencies. I'm not a huge fan of it though - I've heard of others who eat it by the spoonful!

Do NOT confuse this with the coconut cream in a can that you can buy in the 'mixers' section of a grocery store. That is stuff used for pina coladas and the like and it's full of sugar and other nasties!

Archived