Turning green leafies into a drink? What to do with all this cilantro and parsley.

Hello,

I received a TON of cilantro and parsley in my CSA box this week and there is no way I'm going to be able to use them up in recipes. (It's just me that I cook for.)

I'm thinking about blending (not juicing) them into some coconut water or milk, and drinking them as a green smoothie.

I know "smoothies" are not recommended but the only thing I've read in the book is about fruit smoothies and the sugar rush. I'm just trying to use up a ton of greens.

Would this be acceptable? If not, does anyone have a good suggestion on how to use up all this cilantro and parsley? Thanks in advance for your help.

I find cilantro lasts for a couple of weeks in my fridge if I put it in a glass with a couple of inches of water in the bottom and change the water frequently. I just pull out what I need. I assume parsley will do the same.

I would do these two things (both great ideas!), but the thing about my CSA boxes is that I will probably get even MORE of these items next week. I don't get to pick and choose, thus my dilemma. The good part is that I sometimes get vegetables I wouldn't try on my own; the less-than-good part is I may have to throw this stuff away if I can't use it up.

I would do these two things (both great ideas!), but the thing about my CSA boxes is that I will probably get even MORE of these items next week. I don't get to pick and choose, thus my dilemma. The good part is that I sometimes get vegetables I wouldn't try on my own; the less-than-good part is I may have to throw this stuff away if I can't use it up.

The drawbacks of CSAs. I feel your pain. I did the ice cube tray thing with cilantro yesterday but just used water. The cubes are pretty. :0)

• Moderators

I would try freezing this week's cilantro and parsley. If you get more next week, I could see how making a smoothie out of it goes. Vegetable smoothies digest fast because of the liquid form, so even without the sugar rush of a fruit smoothie, it moves through you faster than whole foods. Eating some protein with the smoothie would help. Don't put meat in the smoothie, but have some chicken or beef with the smoothie to help keep you full longer. Smoothies are not ideal, but this might be a reasonable time to make one.

I would use them to make "chimichurri" and the like to top chicken/beef/fish. You could make up your own combinations. Spinach/cilantro/garlic/olive oil or maybe a spicy arugula/parsley/lemon juice/olive oil?

I think you can then top it with some olive oil and keep it in the refrigerator. Not sure of how long!

I once stuck parsley in water out of the fridge, and wound up with a plant. I wonder if cilantro would do the same thing.

You could always dry parsley out (don't know about cilantro) and store it as a dried herb.

I was going to suggest drying as well. How about simmering some infused olive oil? You could do it up in a pan and then store the finished product for weeks, or freeze in ice cube trays. Cilantro is always something I have too much of, or not enough.

I forgot about chimichurri! I have a recipe for soffrito, which is sort of the same but w/some spicy elements. It uses a ton of cilantro and parsley (and tomatoes and onions and peppers). It's a nice thing to put on steak, but I bet it will work on fish as well.

Thank you everyone! I may have to do the freezing trick next week if I get more, but at least I have a great option this week for all that darn cilantro!

You can chop the cilantro and parsley, then freeze in ice cube trays with olive oil, pop'em out and store in an air tight container in the freezer. You can them pop them into soups, stews, ect ect :)

This exactly.

Just to add, Pre W30 I went through a phase of practically living on green smoothies (I think I was trying to be the Boutenko poster girl :)) and from experience both parsley and cilantro tasted vile in a smoothie - both were absolutely great added to soup though.

@kirsteen.

Oh god. This so much. I remember ruining perfectly lovely mangos and pineapples trying to chug down vile tasting blended greens. Parsley and cilantro are so strongly flavoured.

I used to read some of those green smoothie recipes, try them out and wonder if the people had taste buds!

• 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves only
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or less, to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
  • 1/2 -1 cup coconut milk
  • sea salt to taste

Blend sauce ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth, adding coconut milk until preferred consistency is reached.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/pork-tenderloin-with-cilantro-pesto/#ixzz2QSdR0jni

I do a sauce similar with out the fish sauce & honey. It's pretty explosive with flavor!!!

• 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves only
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or less, to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
  • 1/2 -1 cup coconut milk
  • sea salt to taste

Sounds yummy. And I have also marked that nomnom green sauce to make at some point.

Does anyone know if you can freeze coconut milk based sauces/curries?

I will second the suggestion to freeze. I usually whiz it with some olive oil though I guess you could also do with room temp coconut oil. I plop spoonfuls onto a piece of parchment paper in the freezer (on something flat). When frozen, I bag. And then I drop into food. I feel like I read somewhere that it freezes better in fat, but I might be making that up.

I would make meatballs or ground meat cutlets with the parsley! Just mix ground meat (I use ground turkey) with chopped parsley, sauted onions, eggs, salt and pepper, and spices. Sometimes I use almond meal mixed with coconut milk to make it more moist.

For the cilantro, I would make guacamole, salsa, and thai curries. Enjoy!

Archived