Day 5.....am I alone?

Patrickp117

i'm on day 5...have been really compliant with the exception of a daily lara bar in the afternoon. my twice/wk workouts w/trainer are normal, but runs on other days are slow and arduous. i am having headaches today....is this normal? anyone else having the same day 5 malaise???

the first week can be really tough. Make sure you're following the meal template and getting enough protein/fat/veg at each meal and drinking enough water. You might need to take it easy on the running for a bit while your body adjusts. Depending on your preW30 diet you can expect a period of transition that can be rough, headaches are a common complaint, as is fatigue and general achiness.

Depending on how you were eating before, you may need to ease up a bit while your body learns to fuel itself with fat, not carbs. And just MHO, a daily lara bar doesn't help. A primary ingredient is dates, which are sugar bombs. So, by eating them daily, you may be hindering the switch over. If you are hungry between meals, you either need to increase the amount you eat per meal, or add a fourth meal. If you must have an afternoon snack, it should still follow the template--protein, fat, veg. A lara bar should be a last-resort option when there is no other reasonable choice you can make.

I say skip the Lara bar. I am on day 10 and have had no adverse reactions. I bought two Lara bars to try this week and each day I felt tired, had headaches and didn't sleep as well. I really do think it was the sugar in the bars. So maybe as an emergency deal in the car, but not as a daily treat.

Day 5 here too. I work long hours so the days I come home late, I am bored to tears with my dinner. And the same stuff for breakfast and lunch during the work week. I have eggs,spinach, olives for breakfast, then chicken and veggies, a mini meal of carrots and an apple(ate only 1.2 of it today) then todays dinner is ground turkey, diced tomatoes over roasted eggplant. Boring but I am not hungry. Just blah and nonexciting. The Larabars are very exciting but I understand a no no. Everything is a no no!!! Can you tell I am day 5? Really wondering if this can be a long term thing. Good thing is I am no longer looking forward to eating! Cayenne

Your meals don't have to he boring. We have eaten well the past two weeks. At least 5-7 new dishes each week. Check out the recipes in Practical Paleo or the Nom Nom Paleo recipe app. We have had eggs and chorizo, sweet potatoe and bacon hash, beef frittata, zucchini pancakes, etc for breakfast alone. The better your food and more variety the easier the program.

Poor Cayenne! How well I remember Day 5. I don't envy you at all.

There's no reason for this to be dull or boring. My first W30, I just cut out the things I couldn't have, but didn't embrace a new way of eating or preparing. I toughed it out and powered through, and couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go back to my old way of eating.

The second time around, I learned to do a weekly cook-up and it made my life much easier. I cook up a breakfast casserole (12 eggs, a pound of seasoned ground beef/sausage/bacon, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and a squeezed-dry thawed package of frozen chopped spinach), and a batch of sweet potato hash (another pound of ground beef, onions, and seasonings pan-fried with cooked sweet potato), then a couple of things like a crockpot stew, chocolate chili, Rogan Josh, Thai green curry, maybe a pork or beef roast or a roast chicken, and some roasted veggies like asparagus, cumin carrots, broccoli, etc.

The breakfast casserole can be portioned and frozen, it reheats beautifully, and with some hot sauce and a half an avocado, it's quick and easy. The hash reheats well, and I usually make a fried egg or two to go with it. Also, any leftover can be a Meal 1, it doesn't have to be 'breakfast'.

I portion and freeze almost everything else, and reheat during the week. That way, I have a variety of lunch and dinner choices. Dinner can either be from the precooked stuff, or I'll cook a piece of fish, or a steak, or a chicken breast, whatever. Having the already roasted veggies on hand helps to round out meals.

Once I embraced this method, I started enjoying the cook-ups, tried all kinds of new recipes, and really began loving my food choices. There are so many great, compliant recipes out there. Have some fun!

Poor Cayenne! How well I remember Day 5. I don't envy you at all.

There's no reason for this to be dull or boring. My first W30, I just cut out the things I couldn't have, but didn't embrace a new way of eating or preparing. I toughed it out and powered through, and couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go back to my old way of eating.

The second time around, I learned to do a weekly cook-up and it made my life much easier. I cook up a breakfast casserole (12 eggs, a pound of seasoned ground beef/sausage/bacon, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and a squeezed-dry thawed package of frozen chopped spinach), and a batch of sweet potato hash (another pound of ground beef, onions, and seasonings pan-fried with cooked sweet potato), then a couple of things like a crockpot stew, chocolate chili, Rogan Josh, Thai green curry, maybe a pork or beef roast or a roast chicken, and some roasted veggies like asparagus, cumin carrots, broccoli, etc.

This just made me happy to get up and cook tomorrow - what a great idea! This busy mom thanks you!

Emily, I can't take credit for the idea. Melissa Joulwen devotes a chapter of her cookbook "Well Fed" to the idea, complete with sample shopping and cooking lists. If you don't have the book yet, it is well worth the cost. There are so many delicious and different recipes in it, most of which are perfect for portioning and freezing.

On "cook-up day", I frequently have the crockpot, the oven, and several stove burners going at the same time. And I've found over time that some of Well Fed's recipes actually taste better the next day after the seasonings get a chance to mingle, so I might start a pot of chili after dinner for the following day's lunch.

I'm on day 4 of my second whole 30. It is pretty common to have these side effect your first week. I'm a runner too and I work out 5-6 times a week. On running days I like to have sweet potatoes and a hard boiled egg pre work. Your body will adjust and it will get better. I have gotten a headache on and off each day.

• thanks for all the great replies. i'm on day 12 now...all going well. i feel great and i think i see the benefits. i have weaned myself off the lara bars for the most part, but i don't see why they're so bad for you??? what if i avoid the ones with dates in them? i really want to snack sometimes and i want to have a macadamia nut or two OR primal pac beef jerkey OR a lara bar. i don't want to feel like i'm failing in this......am i?
  • my meals have been 100% compliant by the way and i think the nom nom recipes are amazing!

There is no such thing as a Lara bar without dates. And the reasons they are a last resort and not a permitted food are as I said above:

1. When eaten regularly they prevent you from becoming fat-adapted and using either consumed fat or body fat for fuel. They keep you in the old mold of burning sugar (carbs) for fuel.

2. After your Whole30, you can snack on whatever you want. During a Whole30, we don't snack. If we feel the need to eat, it should be a mini-meal of protein, veg, and fat. Lara bars and macadamia nuts and beef jerky do not fit the template.

Remember, this is about changing your relationship with food. Snacking is a mindless pursuit. If you feel the need to fuel your body, do it with real, whole food, not 'snacks', then you are eating deliberately because you need fuel, not because you are bored, or giving in to a craving, or any other unhealthy reason for eating.

There is no such thing as a Lara bar without dates. And the reasons they are a last resort and not a permitted food are as I said above:

1. When eaten regularly they prevent you from becoming fat-adapted and using either consumed fat or body fat for fuel. They keep you in the old mold of burning sugar (carbs) for fuel.

2. After your Whole30, you can snack on whatever you want. During a Whole30, we don't snack. If we feel the need to eat, it should be a mini-meal of protein, veg, and fat. Lara bars and macadamia nuts and beef jerky do not fit the template.

Remember, this is about changing your relationship with food. Snacking is a mindless pursuit. If you feel the need to fuel your body, do it with real, whole food, not 'snacks', then you are eating deliberately because you need fuel, not because you are bored, or giving in to a craving, or any other unhealthy reason for eating.

Maryann, you should be the president. :)

Archived