Crossfit Question

HelloKirst

Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question - but I wasn't really sure where to go. I have dabbled in crossfit before, but now that I am committing to my first Whole 30, I decided to bite the bullet and try to attend 3-6 crossfit classes per week. The coach at my gym wants me to go to six classes per week, right now that sounds a bit scary to me, so I have promised myself that I would attend at least three per week for now and proceed from there.

Anyway, I went to my first crossfit class in awhile on Monday evening. Ever since then, I have been incredibly sore and more sore than I ever remember being in the past from crossfit. I fueled properly before and after my workout (followed Whole 30 guidelines) and I have been diligently using a foam roller.

I took yesterday off. I'm still sore today, but I would like to attend another class because I'm worried if I skip too many days in a row that I just won't go back.

Should I just push through and go to crossfit? By the way, this is run-of-the-mill exercise sore, not I hurt myself sore - I definitely know the difference.

I'm leaning towards pushing through and just going, but I have read conflicting things about what to do.

I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this, but I figured it was worth asking....

Thanks so much!

• Moderators

Exercising is likely to help with the soreness. However, if you are going to go more than 3 times per week, you really need to scale the workouts down a bit so you don't wipe yourself out. For example, if the RX weight is 35, use 25 or 15, etc. If the RX number is 50 situps, make it 25, etc.

Kirst, I'm going to answer a bit differently. In my opinion, any coach who tells his brand new trainee to perform high-intensive activity six days a week, with only one day of rest (!), is irresponsible, or inexperienced. At Gym Jones, one of the most respected S&C facilities in the country, trainees come in 2-3 times a week, tops, and perform lots of recovery activities and low-intensity exercise in between.

I'd highly recommend finding a new gym, because it doesn't sound like this one is especially well suited to beginners (or, frankly, anyone... six days of CF a week is a recipe for overtraining and injury.). If that's not an option, respectfully tell the gym owner that you can only attend 3 times a week, and you'll do your own activity on your off days.

If you are really that sore, take another day or two away from the CF gym. Move, but keep it low intensity. Walk, stretch, do yoga, foam roll... And go back to higher intensity when you feel ready. And for the love of god, tell your coach you need better scaling, as the last workout nearly killed you.

Best,

Melissa

Kirst - I agree with Melissa completely. I'm a full-time crossfit coach and we have new clients come in everyday. Even for the most experienced or conditioned athletes, I would NEVER suggest 6x a week. Everyone starts at only 2 to 3 times a week, then depending on how they progress and how recovery is going they can add in a few more days. 6 days a week is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY and is NOT SUSTAINABLE week to week or long term. We have very few clients who will sometimes make it in 6 days a weeks (I can count them on one hand), these are athletes who have been performing crossfit style workouts for years now, and even if they make it in 6 days, 2 of those days are more of a recovery style workout, lots of foam rolling and mobility work.

Even for myself, I only do 3 crossfit style workouts a week and add in some yoga, bike riding, and walking the rest of the week. You want minimum investment maximum return. 6 days a week is a huge investment with some potential diminishing returns.

I would check out another gym.

Thanks Melissa and Megan,

I do agree with you. It seemed extreme. However, I am an athlete (endurance runner and competitive tennis player) and with the goals I laid out for him - that's what he recommended. But, the more I talk to people, the more I am thinking about how unreasonable that is especially because I will still be running and playing tennis during the week. I love working out and getting into shape - but this seems to be an overwhelming amount.

Thank you so much for your feedback and you confirmed what I was feeling.

Archived