PCOS and monster cravings

So today would be day 4 for me, only I had some almond butter which I realized AFTER eating it had added sugar. That sent me into a tailspin, considering I attempted my first whole30 last week only to get to day 3 and slip up. After screwing up with the almond butter, I went and had some ice cream. I know this is a horrible mind set to be in. I am planning to make tomorrow day 1 for the third time. Any tips for staying on track and banishing cravings?

I have PCOS and I am hungry all the time. I have intense craving for sweets despite eating high protein, low barbs, moderate fat (basically paleo) to begin with. I started metformin about 2 months ago hoping it would help me lose some weight and other symptoms I've been having related to the PCOS. I'm wondering if anyone else with PCOS has a hard time with cravings and what you do about it.

Oh yeah and I am 5'2 about 142 lbs. I have a lot of muscle and people are usually suprised that I weigh as much as I do, but I feel that I am too heavy for running and many other activities I used to enjoy.

Any advice and experiences shared by others with PCOS would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Paulie, I am on Day 12 now (had some hang ups at the beginning and had to start over twice) and I am feeling pretty good! I've had a lot of stress the last week and definitely not enough sleep because a family member has been in the hospital. Despite that, my energy levels have been pretty good, I am not having cravings nearly as much, and when I do get them I am finding it much easier to let them pass. My skin was looking better at the beginning, but this last week it has gotten horrible, probably stress-related. I am definitely NOT trying for a baby, so fertility is not too much of a concern for me. I haven't weighed myself, but I feel less bloated and my clothes are fitting a little better. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I really believe this is the healthiest way to eat. I hope you give it a try!

I also have PCOS. I have had three children, so it's not a big fertility issue for me anymore. I also progressed from the PCOS insulin resistance to diabetes type 2 (it also runs in my family). I am one of 5 daughters and the only one with PCOS and my daughter did not end up with it either! I am on day 1 of Whole30 and am hoping it does indeed help with the metabolic and hormonal issues. On reading, it doesn't seem like I can go wrong with W30.

A friend of mine with PCOS was able to get her cravings under control by changing when she took metformin. I believe she was taking them at night, causing her to have huge cravings. The timing may not be your issue, but it's at least something to consider.

I am on the extended release metformin. My doctor prescribed me the 750mg pills to take twice a day. At first, they made me feel sick, so I did not want to eat, but I wouldn't notice the sick feeling until 4-5 hours after taking the pill. Recently I started taking 3 pills a day, with breakfast lunch, and dinner, but I am no longer having any side effects or feeling any different unless I go a long time without eating, which occasionally makes me feel light headed/confused/sick.

I'm so glad I found all of you!!! I too have PCOS BUT have been able to minimize symptoms through nutrition and stress management. Thus far I have not been put on ANY medications. I think the biggest thing is identifying which foods are causing the sweet tooth. For me apples early in the AM will always cause an afternoon crash AND afternoon sugar obsessions so I've learned no apples in the AM. IF I do fruit (this is a blood sugar trick i learned from my diabetic aunt) in the morning it's usually berries and I'll pair it with a protein. Pair your fruit with proteins to minimize sugar spikes which later cause cravings. :) When you do accidentally consume sugar don't be so hard on yourself. It's not on purpose...the stress of the guilt will raise your cortisol levels which is a big bad no no for us PCOS gals! Take a walk, forgive yourself and then get right back on track. Now, I am much bigger than you and I USED to run, cycle, elliptical daily. This is sooooo bad for us PCOS women. Our body sees it as stress (which means more cortisol production) so keep it to a minimum The low impact stuff like walking, swimming, light hiking and what not work much better for us then the physical stress of running. If you need encouragement or resources or just need to vent you can email me. I know fighting PCOS is hard but when you have the right tools (proper nutrition, fitness, stress management) it doesn't have to feel like an up hill battle.

...... I USED to run, cycle, elliptical daily. This is sooooo bad for us PCOS women. Our body sees it as stress (which means more cortisol production) so keep it to a minimum The low impact stuff like walking, swimming, light hiking and what not work much better for us then the physical stress of running. If you need encouragement or resources or just need to vent you can email me. I know fighting PCOS is hard but when you have the right tools (proper nutrition, fitness, stress management) it doesn't have to feel like an up hill battle.

It's a vicious cycle - extra high stress exercise can worsen things and you need exercise to make it better. Go figure. I know there are more of us out there; I see women all the time that I could diagnose on appearance alone. I'm one of those. I work on the inside with nutrition, I work on the outside with laser hair removal and exercise :) I'm 57. I'm okay. I am not PCOS, but I do have the syndrome and always have. W30 looks like it might be the ticket for figuring out some of these hormonal sensitivities for me.

Niccole, thanks for the encouragement. You mentioned that the high intensity cardio is not good for PCOS. I know that chronic cardio is not a good thing for anyone, but how do you feel about lower-intensity eliptical cardio or HIIT with a jump rope or sprints. I thought this type of training was the best for fat loss.

Countrygirl:

I also have PCOS and everything I've talked about with the doctor and everything I've read indicates heavy weights and HIIT are best for PCOS management and fat loss. Both are also tons more enjoyable than endless cardio;)

JessDoe:

What's your workout routine? I do HIIT around 2 times per week. The rest of the time, I end up doing longer slower cardio. I don't have the energy for HIIT every day and I work out 5 days a week with weights/cardio. I feel better when I do some form of cardio. I just don't feel like I got a good enough workout with weights alone, even if I go really heavy.

Hi countrygirl

I agree with Niccole about the importance of keeping stress low, I have at times experienced complete remission of PCOS symptoms (hairgrowth thinned out, acne dissapeared, pain free monthly periods, balanced libido as opposed to peaks and absence) through diet, exercise and remaining very mindful and relaxed. QiGong is great to help with this, Spring Forest QiGong is good for beginners.

Regarding the cravings, i find acceptance of the fact that things will suck for the initial first week or two is important, being kind and easy on yourself at this time and maybe avoiding situations which will cause you to succumb to temptation. After the initial two weeks I tend to find the changes easy to maintain as I feel good. Certain techniques like EFT can help if you have particularly strong urges for certain foods, I know many people with various issues who have used the technique successfully. Plenty of videos on YouTube, it looks silly but it works :)

Also to all women with PCOS reading this I highly recommend doing the 5 Tibetan Rites...I had some hormonal tests after doing these twice a day and the doctor said he had never seen such good ratios :) They are available free online.

countrygirl, have you tried upping the (compliant) carbs and seeing if it helps with your cravings? I've found that my need for starchy veggies (yams/root veggies/squash) varies pretty drastically with my hormonal cycles, but that staying on top of my changing needs and making sure I get enough carbs goes a long way toward mitigating hunger and cravings.

Also, what's your definition of "moderate" when it comes to fats? That can be another thing to play with, since fats --> satiety.

Unrelated to Whole30, but how was PCOS diagnosed? My girlfriend is in the midst of symptoms (plus her mother and sister have it), and she told me the MD said there were no blood tests to rule PCOS in, only to rule it out? Her liver values are all messed up on the CBC/Metabolic panel but everything else was within normal range. She gained 30lbs in the past 6 months that cannot be fully explained by increased calories (partially, though!). She spent a month trying to lose weight and it didn't budge. She's exhausted and I noticed she had a moustache when I hadn't seen her for 4 months. Those are just some off the symptoms.

I thought you could test FSH or some other hormone.

She has gone partially Paleo, and I'd love to direct her to this forum if I think it will help her. Not sure she will do the Whole30, though. She just turned 30 and is hoping to get pregnant in the next 1-2 years so this means a lot to her.

Thank you!

I haven't had a period since January, and my doctor casually mentioned that I have PCOS the other day on the phone...she didnt even tell me at my appt but thsts another story. I've been googling stuff and for the last five months I've been eating prob 80-90% paleo.....I'm not sure if I have traditional PCOS with insulin resistance or what....i am not overweight- I'm 5'6" and 130. I have some symptoms of PCOS though like hair and no periods and constant hunger. Not sure where to go from here and I'm looking for ladies with dietary and lifestyle tips for dealing with symptoms of PCOS. I already eat for the most part paleo but I didn't know of there were specific foods I should avoid? Thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

I HIGHLY recommend getting the E-book PCOS Unlocked, by the blogger who runs Paleo for Women. Not to give anything away, but it turns out that there are 3-4 types of PCOS and she gives eating and exercise plans for each type. And also tells you what blood tests to order in order to pinpoint exactly what kind of PCOS you have, even though you can determine it somewhat from the physical signs. 

Archived