Day 12 - headache and nauseous

Been dealing with a headache since the middle of the night and woke up feeling so nauseous. Had terrible nausea on the morning of day 2 also but have felt fine every other day. Wanted to eat a banana to try to fix it all but had a handful of pistachios instead as I can't stomach much else just yet. The banana would def be the incorrect choice right?

I am wondering if I did not eat enough starchy carbs with dinners last night. I had lemon garlic shrimp cooked in lots of evoo (I know ghee is better but I am not a fan) on top of cauliflower "rice" with a side of roasted broccoli and a whole avocado. Plenty of fats as you can see but maybe the lack of starchy carbs is doing me in. Most other nights I have sweet potato, carrots, butternut squash or the like so maybe my body needs that before bed, idk l. Oh and I did have a couple slices of cantaloupe before doing the dishes.

This feeling is just awful and makes it hard to function early in the morning when my 3 small children need me. The youngest nurses a lot during the night so I wonder if that also plays a role in all this and my body's need for more sustanance to make it thru til morning.

Thanks for any feedback!

Oh and in case the rest of my day's meals would help...

B: 3 eggs w/loads of spinach cooked in coconut oil, a chicken/apple sauage and 1/2 an orange

L: chicken salad made w/homemade Mayo and a small chopped granny Smith apple wrapped in lettuce leaves and a large side of steamed carrots and zucchini

• Moderators

Eating a banana would be okay. I don't think you would experience nausea or headaches based upon the eating or not eating carbs at every meal. You definitely need to be eating plenty of carbs while nursing, but you don't have to eat them at every meal to be okay.

The only meal where I have a good sense of how much you are eating is breakfast. It looks good. The food you ate at your other meals looks good, but I can't tell if you ate enough. The meal template is an important guide: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf As a nursing mom, you should be eating above the minimum. :)

If you had not been eating much fat in the past, your gut might not be good at digesting fat and that might cause some problems. A simple thing to do would be to take a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes for a while. It won't hurt and it might help if your gut needs help adjusting to new foods.

Thanks so much Tom! I took your advice and picked up some digestive enzymes at WF today in hopes of avoiding going thru that again, if I can help it. I hoped I wouldn't be hit too hard by the carb flu since I had been sugar and {mostly} gf since Jan 2. But I guess one never knows how their body will react to a new diet.

And yes I am definitely eating above the minimum. I have never been scared of olive oil or avocados but I can say the volume of coconut oil is a new thing. I am doing my best to follow the template and am enjoying the challenge right now. :)

I don't know if this is a problem for you or not, but some people, me included, need quite some time to get accustomed to coconut oil (CO). It makes me nauseous and will also bring on a lot of intestinal upset including gas and cramps, some of which are bad enough to wake me from sleep at night. I've been trying for at least 3 years now and still cannot consume it in large quantities.

It's recommended that for people who are sensitive like this to CO, to start with very small amounts (i.e. ½ tsp) and work your way up gradually to several tablespoons per day or more. I've never been successful in digesting CO enough to do this. I simply can't get beyond about a T per day and sometimes not even that much! Because it's so disruptive, I'm not using any this month during my first W30 and see if I'm more tolerant when it's done. This is all very frustrating because I've read so much on how healthy CO is, its many benefits, how easy to digest it is and so on. I guess everyone is different.

Archived