Cooking Your Way Around the World for the Whole30

Emily Chiu

Hi there, since you are all talking about exotic food... I come from Mauritius, which is an island in the indian ocean (near Reunion island)

We have also an excellent curry... You can use chicken or beef.

Cut you chicken in pieces, includes the bones as they add flavour, Chop up some vegetable to bulk it up... Broccoli/cauliflower/zucchini

or with just eggplants its perfect. Heat up some ghee in a pot. Add 1 onion, 1-2 cloves of garlic. Once this has soften, add curry powder of your choice... Keen curry is good and a bit spicy. Throw you chicken in and mix and let it cood for 20 mins. Add you vegetable and let cook until soft.

At the end when every thing is cooked add 1 chopped fresh tomato and put the lid on. Don't forget to season to taste. Serve on a bed of cauliflower rice and peppered with ........................... chopped coriander !!!

It is simple but it is delicious... you could add coconut milk but it is not the tradition.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

I was going to give Mel a hard time on coriander vs cilantro (and then I did give her a hard time and got made fun of). The result of the conversation was I'm going to pretend she's right to not get beat up :) EDIT: whoops... turns out she IS right (pretending don't work so well if I write it on here...) as far as white people talk anyways... which is funny considering I'm the white people out of the two of us... For the record, both leaf and seed are called coriander in India though ;)

I'm a lurker but the whole plant is called coriander in NZ, Australia, UK as well. "Cilantro" is based on the Spanish translation of the word and is pretty much only used in the US - the plant's latin name is Coriandrum sativum.

Totally loving reading your international food! We're big on international cooking and we only eat "western" style foods once or twice a week.

Earlier this week my partner made a Saagwala - it was SO good!

http://foodhub.co.nz/recipe/6874/Chicken-saagwala/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a lurker but the whole plant is called coriander in NZ, Australia, UK as well. "Cilantro" is based on the Spanish translation of the word and is pretty much only used in the US - the plant's latin name is Coriandrum sativum.

Totally loving reading your international food! We're big on international cooking and we only eat "western" style foods once or twice a week.

Earlier this week my partner made a Saagwala - it was SO good!

http://foodhub.co.nz/recipe/6874/Chicken-saagwala/

I thought they were different, but at a local grocery chain I saw Cilantro on sale. Went to pick some up, and couldn't find it. A clerk took me to it when I asked, and pointed out the coriander. I hadn't even realized they were from the same herb.

Archived