Help! Off the wagon again....need some serious encouragement!

I'm feeling horrible today after slipping up yesterday. I have a history of compulsive eating, and last night I wound up really craving nuts after work. I was on day 4 of my second attempt at whole30(I had started once before that and only made it to day 3.) Even though I set a rule for myself not to eat nuts for the duration of my whole30 because I know its a trigger food, I caved and had some dry roasted macadamia nuts, which only intensified my craving and led me to eat some almond butter, which I then realized had added sugar. Angry at myself for having the nuts and going off plan with the sugar, I'm completely threw in the towel and picked up two pints of haggen daaz ice cream on the way home. I ate about half of each one and made the mistake of putting them both back in the freezer....so that ended up being breakfast this morning also, followed by a mocha. Now I'm feeling like $h!t...bloated, cramped, spaced out, and most of all guilty and discouraged. I am planning on making tomorrow day 1 again, although I will not be having any more non-compliant foods today.

I would love to find a friend on here to help hold me accountable. Maybe someone with similar issues so we can motivate each other. Any tips from whole30 veterans are welcome of course. I have tried enlisting a couple of my friends, but they both keep falling off the wagon and don't seem to care too much. Also I should metion I live with my fiance who has no interest whatsoever in this way of eating. Luckily, he doesn't usually keep foods in the house that trigger cravings for me.

I should also add that I am doing whole30 in hopes of alleviating my PCOS symptoms, including acne, irregular periods, and wheight gain and more importantly, to overcome the "sugar dragon" and stop binge eating once and for all.. I am 5'2, 142 lbs, 20 yrs old. Other than binging on unhealthy, carb-laden food, my diet was good to begin with. I have been doing paleo for a few months, and before that I was doing a lot of lean meat, eggwhites, vegetables, and small amounts of oatmeal and sweet potatoes. I feel much better with more fat and less grains. I am confident that this is the right plan for me, I just a serious boost right now to get me past the first week.

I am on Day 12 (all compliant) and in the past I was a binge eater too. I cleaned out the cabinet, fridge and freezer when I started the program. There is nothing in this house to trigger an episode, which has helped me to stay compliant. Maybe you need the therapeutic feeling of cleaning out all your past transgressions and starting fresh. Also, plan all your meals and write them on a whiteboard. Holds you accountable and makes sure you have enough food to keep you satiated. Good luck and post in one of the threads for April. There are a couple.

Honestly, it hasn't been that hard, but I don't have a sugar dragon (I prefer crunchy and creamy), and I don't go into an office with a ton of temptation each day, my DH is doing it with me and I love to cook. But seriously, I think cleaning out your house gives a feeling of being serious and a clean slate. Plus trying new and different foods makes it fun and feels like an adventure. I have picked up a new cookbook for each week to keep it fresh.

I relly wish I could purge my house of anything non compliant, but my significant other isn't up for giving up his less healthy foods. I do really enjoy trying new vegetables and recipes on here and nom nom paleo. Its not the I don't like the food, I just can't seem to kick the additional cravings for other crap.

First of all - BIG HUGS! Second of all, please don't be so hard on yourself. Setbacks happen. It's more important that you dust yourself off and keep going. Sugar dragons, cravings and binge eating are so hard to overcome and it takes time. While I admit my first Whole 30 experience was successful, every other attempt at any healthy eating was a disaster, for many many years. I remember many times eating expired sprinkles out of my hand at 11:00pm just to try to kick a sugar jones.

I know you can't keep trigger foods out of the house, but is it possible to lock them up somewhere in a box, with a padlock where you don't have the key? Or store them in a cooler in the garage, basement, car, etc. With W30, you have to take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. I also would put a gold star on my calendar every night, after a successful day. I promised myself that if I wasn't compliant, I didn't get the star. After a few days, I liked seeing those little gold stars add up on my calendar, and that helped to keep me motivated.

For now, just breathe. And start over tomorrow. I can promise you that with each day, it does get easier - it really does. You can do this. :-)

Thank you for your honesty and I am routing for you. I am on the same boat as you except I have to deal with food at work most every day. I have been eating junk for 3 days and I just started my cycle. I haven't pulled myself together. I finally went to the doctor a few days ago after years of feeling out of control emotionally and with food during that time of month and my doctor diagnosed me with PMDD, which is PMS amplified time 10. That's my excuse, but I don't want this to continue to happen to me every single month. The doctor wants me to take a small dose of zoloft 5 days before by period and 2 days after. Thankfully my period is like clockwork and I can easily track it on the calendar. I hope this works.

In the meantime I am jumping right back on the band wagon starting tomorrow morning. This morning I prepared 7 salads for my lunches and tomorrow I will chop all my veggies and package them for my breakfast to get me through 7 days.

LRM, Thanks for the encouragement. It's so nice to hear from someone who has battled sugar addiction and binge eating and had success with whole30. Do you feel like your cravings for sugar are gone now? I like your gold star idea. I signed up for the daily emails. I think those will be my gold stars.

NWOL, Thank you for sharing your story with me. It's good to know I'm not the only one having trouble. I'm glad you were able to find a diagnosis and I hope the new medicine will help. I'm sure whole30 will help some of those feelings in the long run too. It must be somewhat of a relief to at least have an explanation for the cravings your experiencing. I know what you mean about using it as an excuse though. I use PCOS as an excuse a lot of the time. I know it might make it more difficult for me to lose weight, but I think a lot of the time I'm not honest about what I'm eating. Good job packing all those meals! I'm starting tomorrow too. Luckily tomorrow is farmer's market, which is something to look forward too.

Let's rock the next 30 days!

Adding to the excellent posts above, I would suggest reframing the Whole30 as a way to eat really great food that you really like, all the time. I've noticed, for instance, that when I think I'm craving something, often, I'm kind of hungry. If I can make myself a mini-meal based on the protein/veg/fat template, I usually feel better. It took me a while to think like this, because I think we are trained to consider cravings as a sign of vice, and not giving in to cravings as a sign of virtue. But I am coming to realize that usually when my brain goes "nutsnutsnutsolivesnutsnutsolives" or whatever, I really need some protein, some fat, and some veggies. I was so used to a scarcity mentality when it came to food (less is better, so if I overeat I may as well go all the way overboard and then start again tomorrow with less - and so the cycle goes) that it has taken me a good long while to understand that my body is actually giving me good information about what I need. Who knew? Craving? Eat protein/fat/veggies. It's not the answer to all of my cravings, but as I have re-conditioned myself to answer my cravings with awesome food instead of the mass quantities of crap I was feeding myself before, then I'm surprised at how good I feel.

I think it also helps to change up your daily routine around food and exercise, and even when to be at home and when to be out. I've been looking at that part of my routine the last couple of weeks and I've found some ways to tweak my routine so that I'm not in the same routines that led to cravings before. It's not fool-proof and not possible in every situation, but it is something to think about.

The main thing, I think, is to not try to white-knuckle your way through a really difficult craving. Eat good food, take a walk, take a bubble bath, listen to Michael Buble (well maybe that's just me), and go to sleep with a satisfied tummy. The emotions will, surprisingly, start following, once we stop telling ourselves it's all about less = virtue.

Good luck, and eat!

Ugggghhh. Like you I am restarting (attempt 3) tomorrow. I'm determined to do this! WE CAN!!! I think it's important to remember that each "failed" attempt is not actually a failure. Through this journey so far I have learned soo much about myself and my relationship with food. I am determined to fix that relationship. And together we all can!!!

Amy, I think you have a good point about eating a balanced mini-meal when a craving stikes. Previously, I would reach for something like nuts, which is technically not off-plan, but it would set me up for more cravings. When I eat a protein-fat-vegetable meal, I feel full after. I really enjoy walking too and I think that is a good way to relieve stress and distract myself from a craving. Thanks for the advice.

Casanandez, How is Day 1 going? I'm feeling A LOT better all ready. I hope you are too!

I fell off the wagon again today :(. But I went grocery shopping tonight and have my fridge stocked and lunches packed. A roast in the crock pot and tuna steaks for dinner tonight. I'm not giving up. This time will be the success I'm 100% sure!

Casnandez....your not alone. I slipped up today too :( I make/sell baked goods for charity and today it started with a few chocolate chips, then I threw in the towel and scraped the bowl of cookie dough when I was done and ate that. Then I was feeling so discouraged I ate junk for the rest of the day. I end up so depressed after because I feel like I'm treating my body like a garbage can and I know I deserve better. I hope that your well on your way to day 2 of your whole 30. Tomorrow will be day 1 for me. I know that will be easy. Day 3 and 4 are when I really start craving. I will be stronger this time.

Countrygirl, I admire your perseverance. The one difference between those who succeed at something, and those who do not, isn't the number of times they each fell down, but the number of times they got back up and tried again.

You've got this!

Archived