Day 12 and NOTHING!? *insert tears*

willowgrove

I've been 100% compliant.

I've been positive and upbeat...always thinking "tomorrow is THE day" when I'll notice a change.

Still nothing.

I'm starting to get discouraged.

I'm almost to the 1/2 way mark and there have been no changes yet?

I hope I'm not the only one?

I refuse to quit. I won't do that.

I'm just looking for some reassurance I guess.

Thank you for any advice you may have...

What changes exactly are you excited about? This program works a little differently for everyone. What was your diet like before you entered this lovely way of living? More info please. :) Keep in mind that day 12 is still just the beginning for many.

What changes exactly are you excited about? This program works diffa little differently for everyone. What was your diet like before you entered this lovely way of living? More info please. :) Keep in mind that day 12 is still just the beginning for many.

Changes in energy, bloating and sleeping better would be GREAT right about now.

Of course I look forward to my clothes starting to feel different but I know 12 days is hardly anything.

My biggest problem prior to Whole30 was sugar.

I could hardly control myself - especially with peanut butter and chocolate.

It was getting seriously out of control. I've gained 40lbs over the last 6 months and I have had it.

Otherwise, I eat pretty well except that I wasn't eating enough veggies.

Not a lot of processed foods. No sodas or coffee.

I typically only drink water - aside from green smoothies.

If I should be more specific, let me know.

And thanks for your help/support.

It may not be such a drastic improvement for you as it would be for someone who really ate crappy before W30. I am on my fifth W30 in the last 3 years. I had the same sugar dragon as you. I am happy to report I rarely think about chocolate, peanut butter and other evils now. I think you should just relax and enjoy the process. I promise you will start to notice changes. Maybe you will need more than 30 days. Maybe not. Everyone is so different.

You are drinking green smoothies now? What is a green smoothie? Typically smoothie drinks are not advised for several reasons while on your W30.

Thanks for all of your advice and encouragement.

I read about the fruit smoothies - I wasn't sure about the green smoothies.

Mine consist of water, spinach, 1 banana and 1/2 cup strawberries.

That's it for my daily fruit consumption. I'm really trying not to reach for the fruit to replace the sugar and I've eliminated nuts because I found I was snacking on them. (and I think they were upsetting my stomach).

I have a green smoothie with breakfast - as a supplement to my veggie omelette.

Do you think that's a bad idea?

Well, fruit is not as packed with nutrition as veggies are. I never eat fruit. Or rarely. I eat my mom's heirloom fruits from her trees when I visit her in San Diego. It does kind of wake the sugar dragon in me and I personally find the right carb balance for me by eating lots of green type veggies and then some starchies every day helps me keep my stamina in my workouts. Not that I count carbs, but just the food combination I have settled on seems to fit me perfectly. You are doing the right thing by drinking your smoothie with your breakfast protein and hopefully fat, but think of it this way...so if you have a 3 egg veggie omlette, would you consider taking all of the stuff you put into your smoothie and put it on your plate along with the veggies in your omlette and eat it or would it be too much food? I always go back to the meal template. It has worked for me consistantly. Palmful or two sized protein, thumbsized or two amounts of fat and the rest of my plate is veggies. I am not saying your smoothie is a bad idea, but do you really need it? It is better to chew whole foods than it is to drink them both mentally and physically.

We sound very similar..I had nuts around my first W30. I had macadamia nuts in my freezer. I found myself walking past the freezer at night and mindlessly grabbing a handful. It sort of reminded me of my "peanut butter days". I voted them and their butters off the island. :lol:

If you aren't looking/needing/hoping to lose a lot of weight, the clothes fitting better (improvement in body composition) will happen slowly.

The sleep improvements took a loooonnnngggg time for me. I really had to work at it. In fact, the food part is simple for me, but I struggle with the sleep thing still. I know what I need to do to improve my sleep..I just don't always do it. :wacko:

Thanks for all of your advice and encouragement.

I read about the fruit smoothies - I wasn't sure about the green smoothies.

Mine consist of water, spinach, 1 banana and 1/2 cup strawberries.

That's it for my daily fruit consumption. I'm really trying not to reach for the fruit to replace the sugar and I've eliminated nuts because I found I was snacking on them. (and I think they were upsetting my stomach).

I have a green smoothie with breakfast - as a supplement to my veggie omelette.

Do you think that's a bad idea?

If you were to put all that spinach, the banana, and the strawberries on a plate next to your veggie omelet, would you still consume as much? You may find if you had to chew all of that, you would be satiated earlier than if you drink all of it.

Now, I have been fine with 1-2 pieces of fruit a day, and the amount you are consuming should not be an issue. However, when you put it in smoothie form, the sugars are more rapidly absorbed into your bloodstream, and could cause a spike, then a crash. I am glad you are enjoying it with a meal that has proteins and veggies as this can slow that absorption.

Are you getting any fats with that meal? Are you eating enough fats in general?

Well, fruit is not as packed with nutrition as veggies are. I never eat fruit. Or rarely. I eat my mom's heirloom fruits from her trees when I visit her in San Diego. It does kind of wake the sugar dragon in me and I personally find the right carb balance for me by eating lots of green type veggies and then some starchies every day helps me keep my stamina in my workouts. Not that I count carbs, but just the food combination I have settled on seems to fit me perfectly. You are doing the right thing by drinking your smoothie with your breakfast protein and hopefully fat, but think of it this way...so if you have a 3 egg veggie omlette, would you consider taking all of the stuff you put into your smoothie and put it on your plate along with the veggies in your omlette and eat it or would it be too much food? I always go back to the meal template. It has worked for me consistantly. Palmful or two sized protein, thumbsized or two amounts of fat and the rest of my plate is veggies. I am not saying your smoothie is a bad idea, but do you really need it? It is better to chew whole foods than it is to drink them both mentally and physically.

We sound very similar..I had nuts around my first W30. I had macadamia nuts in my freezer. I found myself walking past the freezer at night and mindlessly grabbing a handful. It sort of reminded me of my "peanut butter days". I voted them and their butters off the island. :lol:

If you aren't looking/needing/hoping to lose a lot of weight, the clothes fitting better (improvement in body composition) will happen slowly.

The sleep improvements took a loooonnnngggg time for me. I really had to work at it. In fact, the food part is simple for me, but I struggle with the sleep thing still. I know what I need to do to improve my sleep..I just don't always do it. :wacko:

Agreed about the fruit not having as many vital nutrients. I think you are right about the green smoothies. I was looking at it from the standpoint that I wouldn't be able to eat all of those veggies normally so I was thinking I was doing a good thing by consuming more in liquid form.

I am looking to lose 60 lbs - obviously not in 30 days.

The sleeping thing drives me nuts because we have a t.v. in the bedroom that I don't want!! I would be enjoying going to bed earlier if I had the option to remove it - which the man in the house is completely against.

Are you getting any fats with that meal? Are you eating enough fats in general?

I'm having 1-2 TBSP of Ghee when I cook up my eggs. I'll use 1-2 TBSP of grapeseed oil or olive oil when cooking other meats.

Thank you so much for your responses everyone!! Much appreciated!!

The sleeping thing drives me nuts because we have a t.v. in the bedroom that I don't want!! I would be enjoying going to bed earlier if I had the option to remove it - which the man in the house is completely against.

It may keep the peace to invest in wireless headphones for him (he could hear at any preferred volume level and the TV speakers could be muted) and a face mask for you for the TV lights. Sleep is really important as are our relationships.

I commend you for being open to the feedback given. Give it 18 more days and a few more after that if you want and as many more after that as you choose.

The real tiger blood stage for me occurred right on schedule on day 15 or 16. I equate it to nesting. Last night I switched our spice cabinet and our cup/glass cabinet because I realized (after 6 1/2 years of living in this house) that their current locations made no sense. This is not a normal Friday night activity for me; I'm usually dead to the world by 8pm.

All this to say is it does get better. How do you feel two hours after your meals? Are you still satisified, or are you feeling snacky? If snacky, increase your protein and green veggies at the meal so it carried you to the next meal.

I'm having 1-2 TBSP of Ghee when I cook up my eggs. I'll use 1-2 TBSP of grapeseed oil or olive oil when cooking other meats.

Is grapeseed oil approved? I thought I read otherwise, but wanted to check .. I'm new at this!

• Moderators

Grapeseed oil delivers a large dose of omega6 fats that most of us don't need. Your best option is to never use grapeseed oil.

Cooking with olive oil is not a good idea because heat can damage the oil, even before it reaches its smoke point when you know there is a problem. The best cooking fats are ghee and coconut oil.

Argh. My husband has recently developed a habit of watching old TV shows on his iPad before he goes to sleep. He claims it helps him unwind from job stress, but it is making me mental. He's clearly not getting enough sleep but when I try to bring out up he reverts to his 12 year old self.

A sleep mask does really help. I listen to a relaxation track before I fall asleep so I don't work myself I to a frenzy about the stoopid iPad thing. (I have even fantasized about leaving a Dear John letter that says, "Now you can watch all the dumb TV you want! Enjoy!")

That said, my husband is using headphones and is turned away from me. That plus the sleep mask is very helpful. Maybe you guys can work out a deal? Why can't he watch in the other room?

Seriously the TV is the biggest issue in our marriage. When we met I didn't own one or plan to raise kids in a house with TV--nevermind in the bedroom!

Why don't you try encouraging your husband to read a book in bed for the rest of your Whole30? Then your argument can be about whose turn it is to get out of bed to turn the light off. :)

Beets-- We don't have a tv and all our friends think it's totally crazy.

Grapeseed oil delivers a large dose of omega6 fats that most of us don't need. Your best option is to never use grapeseed oil.

Cooking with olive oil is not a good idea because heat can damage the oil, even before it reaches its smoke point when you know there is a problem. The best cooking fats are ghee and coconut oil.

Tallow...don't forget tallow from Fatworks. :) >>>>>obsessed.

I'm on day 9 and I'm still exhausted (though I can tell I've had some other side effects, like my hunger/cravings are pretty much gone, skin is *starting* to clear up--definitely not all the way there though--,and I can tell I've certainly lost some weight and feel much slimmer in general. I'm ready for some energy too!!

Hang in there - I'm on day 16 and just not getting over the worst of the cravings. I have also not had a "ah ha" moment yet where I wake up one morning with the birds singing and the sun shining - with 20 pounds gone and automatically clear skin. But I don't think it happens that way. Also - remember it is called a Whole 30 - not a Whole 12. I had to remind myself plenty!

I just had to post about this, because when I first did the whole30 back in january I was the exact same!

I went through the "kill all the things" phase for about three weeks, it wasn't until the last week of the whole30 that I felt amazing.

So I say stick with it. Once you finally get to that point it feels so good.

Archived