Is there anyone who would commit to a Whole100 starting April 22nd or May 1st?

Carrie

Hi!

I just recently in March completed my first Whole30 and did great! I started my second and chose to fail which is such a bummer... Anyways, it's definitely not the right choice as the sugar dragon isn't dormant and the stress relationship to food needs to be changed... I'm wondering if there's anyone who would join me in doing a Whole100 for accountability... It would be great if we could all be hard core true to the Whole30 rules... unless moderators have some other advice we should consider...???

Count me in if you start on the 22nd!! I finish my first W30 next week and I plan to have a glass of wine and hop right back on track (I know I have a much longer road if I want to make this a permanent change) so that would be perfect for me. Let me know what you decide, I definitely believe that the support and accountability are SO important. I started this journey with my boss/friend and the fact that we usually spend five days a week in each others company has helped tremendously!

• Moderators

I don't recommend committing to 100 days. I think it is great to keep going when you finish a Whole30, but I am not a fan of commitment to perfect compliance for longer than 30 days. The last group that formed with a plan to go 100 days started with about 46 and ended with about 12. Some slipped, some changed their minds, some did not report back. The ones who made it 100 days are enthusiastic but I asked them not to go for 200 days when the topic came up.

Things come up over 100 days that make eating off plan the sensible thing to do. I do think we should eat Whole30-compliant most of the time, but I think we should be flexible in some situations and make our lives easier by eating off plan. I don't think you should stress yourself by trying to be perfect too long or suffer guilt because something came up and you needed to eat a fish taco.

What the group that set out to do 100 days really enjoyed was getting to know one another for such a long period of time. You might want to start a log and invite people to join you without asking for a 100 day commitment. Just ask people to report in regularly for accountability and encouragement. You could pick a name like The Sugar Dragon Slayers...

That makes a lot of sense, Tom. Since my previous post I've been thinking "Hmmmm, that's most of the summer. Is it possible that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will come up in the time frame to give me a reason to challenge my plan?"

Carrie- I am all about the buddy system. I would love to come up with some way to help each other stay on track and it is really nice to be able to talk to others about this journey. All of the non-Whole9 folks in my life continue to look at me as if I've grown another head when they ask me for third time why I'm not having wine/margaritas/bread/rice/chocolate.

What Tom said 100%. I kept finding the littlest reasons to restart- I wanted that carrot of completing dangling in front of me. As a result I logged 60 straight days of compliant eating (99.8%, I made a couple missteps) but because of my numerous restarts I felt as though I hadn't finished yet. My few offroads weren't that great and I ended up realizing I needed to cut eggs and nuts too so I started 30 days of AIP. I can't tell you how relieved I will be when it's over. I love this program but I do think extended periods of strict rules has its limits to create change. I feel like the point where i changed for good was probably 20 days in. even if i had overeaten something off-plan i think i would have had the good sense to get back on track, and I think YOU DO TOO ALREADY. The good habits you want must be developed across multiple levels of your body/mind/spirit. And maybe that's what the Whole9 philosophy is more about.

I'm only on day 17 of my 1st W30 but have been trying to figure out if I should commit to longer. I have been reading lots of opinions and while I'm worried about off-roading too much and love structure, I like Tom's approach best. There are lots of things coming up for me in the summer - I'd like to devise a plan where I am successful over the long term.

I think accountability and encouragement within a great community is key.

I can start a week or so after I finish - May 1? I want to take some time to do a few re-introductions to see where I stand.

I am so up for a buddy system. I do understand and take Tom's advice too. So maybe take 30 days at a time for some or make one's own protocol (ie: have the freedom to have an off plan this many times a week or month...) I too don't want to set myself up for failure or make it crazy awkward when I go to Grandma's house if she used something on something I "can't" have... So should we go for another whole30 or modified or what???? I look forward to starting over.

Would it work if we each came up with our own rules. And maybe re-evaluated every 30 days.

This is what I'm thinking for myself. I'd like to do 90% compliant. With a clear understanding of what I can and cannot tolerate plus planned off roading. At 90% compliant that leaves me two meals per week I can go a little off course. I'd like to make sure those 2 meals 1) don't make me feel sick and 2) they are fabulously special.

I'd also like to have some goals. Like health and fitness goals. Plus some cooking goals.

What do you all think of individual plans?

• Moderators

Would it work if we each came up with our own rules. And maybe re-evaluated every 30 days.

Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying, but let me be clear... AFTER a Whole30, you might choose to live your life 90 percent compliant, but If you want to do a Whole30 and discuss what you are doing any place except the post-Whole30-log area, you have to be 100 percent compliant. There is no such thing as making your own Whole30 rules. That may not be what you are saying, but I want to make sure everybody understands that the Whole30 demands full commitment. That is one reason I suggest committing only to 30 days.

So if we were just trying to make this a sustainable lifestyle and want accountability, then we would start a log in the post whole30 area? I don't see a problem with that. I also don't mind being 100% compliant 30 days at a time. What are you thinking ALMCC?

Tom - Thanks for the reminder!!!! I know I am still figuring out what I want to do - but I will remember to post in the appropriate place.

Carrie - I am ok with either. I am just thinking out loud here: If I do a W30 #2 then I have to start April 26 and would overlap with company and my daughter's graduation. Eating at home and company is not the issue. But W30 Day 30 would fall on the day before the graduation and would include a catered school dinner - which I will not have control over. Surely I will be able to make that work. If I start later, the weekend and graduation will just be more in the middle. In some ways doing another W30 makes more sense - because I don't want to off road at the school dinner and then be sick for graduation.

Ok So now I am leaning more towards another W30 starting 4/26. Carrie- Do you want to start 4/22 rather than later? We would not be on the same schedule - would that be ok?

Edited - Added content - more thoughts.....

I can start on the 26th. I'm going to unofficially start tomorrow and officially whenever really...

Healthy eating Plan

· Things I can eat:

o
Beef, Fish, Pork, Eggs, Chicken, Turkey

o
Vegetables ( and sweet potatoes)

o
Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Ghee

o
Fruit

o
Nuts, fruit, primal pacs and pumpkin Bars for emergencies

· Things I will not eat:

o
Grains (all grains)

o
Legumes

o
Meat with nitrates and nitrites

o
Sugar in drinks (it's ok if it's a small amount in meat (ie 2%)

o
Dairy

o
No white potatoes

o
No processed foods except the occasional sausage (Italian or apple sausage from costco)

I will focus my meals around a good amount of protein (1 to 2 palms per meal), 2 cups of vegetables, and 1 to 2 servings of fat per meal) I'll eat sweet potatoes once a day.

Exercise

· 3 days a week kettle bells workout (Kettleworx, or other DVD's)

· 2 days a week interval runs on treadmill or outside.

What do you think of this????????????????????????

as one of the remaining 7 in the whole100 group I would add that it's really really important to understand why you would want to do a whole100. I think starting there were a lot of people who loved the idea of 100 days, but in reality it's a REALLY long time. for me, I knew before starting that 30 days would not be enough for me. when I saw a group of people I jumped on board because I also knew I needed support.

would I do it again? yes. for ME it was necessary. I have a pretty severe sugar addiction and I knew that 30 days would not break the habits I created over 40 years. but there are other people that survived who said they wouldn't recommend it to anyone. in the future I will not do another one. I plan on doing 30 days every 4th month (3x a year) and believe that will be enough.

SO, if you really feel like 100 days is something you need in order to change your life, then my advice is to do it. but more importantly (and I think this has come through strongly) the support and friendship was more important than number of days, and we are continuing to hold each other accountable for the long term. this is where we all get to make our own rules and bounce ideas off each other.

good luck!!!

I think the paleo treat could be deleted :-) Other than that the thing that isn't whole30 compliant is a pumpkin bar that has a dash of agave in it... It's a go raw live food bar. And the italian sausage I have has a bit of sugar in it but no nitrates or nitrites in it...

I plan to stick with 90% compliant, so compliant at home and fairly close when out at restaurants. I don't miss the added sugar in products, the dairy (I am truly surprised by this), or the wheat products. But I like and don't have a problem with black beans, stove popped popcorn and an occasional glass of wine.

I will be 100% compliant at home and when I'm out and about work to be compliant but not be in dire distress if they're is a little something I didn't know about (still has to be gluten and dairy free for my own health) I won't sweat it... Not going to go off plan for a coke or anything... I'll probably allow a go live raw food bar here and there. I have business meetings that sometimes are very late and sometimes a light snack I can bring can help to keep me awake and focused :-)

Archived