Begin Whole 30 two weeks before Half Marathon or wait?

Hello everyone. I have decided to bite the bullet and begin the Whole 30 today. I have been off of sugar now for about 3 mths. I did have honey from time to time as we are bee keepers in New Zealand and we produce Manuka Honey and it's super good for you. Anyway, I have been training for a half marathon on the 27 of April. I really want to begin the Whole 30 but don't want my run to suffer any more than it has to. I have labral tears in both hips and have to one a min, walk a min as it is and if I am going to be slowed down even more by a new way of eating I think I might just wait.

Opinions, thoughts, etc. would be helpful. \

Thanks, Jeana

• Moderators

You might want to wait. Many people suffer a decline in running performance for a few weeks as they adjust to eating the Whole30 way. Most people get back to excellent performance after a few weeks, but the timing of that varies. You might lose some of your speed and/or endurance on race day if you start now.

My running has been absolute rubbish these last two weeks (I started Apr 1). Personally, I wouldn't want to struggle through 13 miles the way I've been feeling on my runs recently. Also, if you were planning on any in-race nutrition/sports drinks it's a bit late to be making changes.

Thanks so much for your responses. I did begin and will go for 9 miles today on day three. If it is just too hard I will add in a few things back in. However, if there is no change then I'll continue the Whole 30. This is day 3 on Whole 30 so it may not have been long enough to feel any significant changes. I haven't began to feel bad yet so maybe because I had already cut back on things it won't be such a drastic problem. I'll let everyone know in the next couple days how I did :D Thanks, Jeana

I started Whole30 April 6 and "ran" a half marathon yesterday. I use the term "ran" very loosely as my performance was abyssmal (think zombie walk). I felt like my legs were lead and barely stumbled across the finish line.

I have one scheduled for the 28th and am hoping my energy picks up a tad before then.

I'm not too upset. Completing Whole30 and changing my diet is more important than any performance in a half marathon.

(Oh, it was so bad, though.) :blink:

tarheelntx,

;):o:D These depict all my feelings to this post! Lol, that scares me to death. Well I felt totally smashed after the run last night. However, I feel great today. I am thinking that maybe since I had already decreased my carbs prior to doing the Whole 30 that I am just not experiencing the same energy zap. If I feel bad during my 10miles this weekend I think I will allow myself some variations for the last week and add oats for breakfast. Maybe some pasta the night before and then go totally free of the grains the day after the race. Ill see how I go. Thanks again.

I say run it, but don't expect a PR. i will say, prior to your run, eat a nice big breakfast. kale/spinach 3 egg omelet and a sweet potato along with your daily dinner the night before. I did it 1 week into w30, and I was able to maintain my time. have a backed sweet potato ready for yourself at the end of the race.

Hello everyone. I have decided to bite the bullet and begin the Whole 30 today. I have been off of sugar now for about 3 mths. I did have honey from time to time as we are bee keepers in New Zealand and we produce Manuka Honey and it's super good for you. Anyway, I have been training for a half marathon on the 27 of April. I really want to begin the Whole 30 but don't want my run to suffer any more than it has to. I have labral tears in both hips and have to one a min, walk a min as it is and if I am going to be slowed down even more by a new way of eating I think I might just wait.

Opinions, thoughts, etc. would be helpful. \

Thanks, Jeana

I am doing a half marathon in about 2 weeks and am starting my second round of whole 30 today! During my first run, my runs actually improved! And pretty early on in the 30 days...but I know the majority of people experience a decline. Good job on the 9 miles! And good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I just wanted to report that I ran the half in 2:15 in the pouring rain and 53 degrees. I did eat 2 jelly bean energy every 2 miles from mile 6. Other than that I remained Whole30. I felt great the whole time lots of energy. Afterward I refueled with almonds, dates, bananas, and then a big salad of spiniach, bacon, chicken. Feel great and ready to keep on the Whole 30 minus the 6 jelly beans :). Thanks for your encouragement.

Archived