In Need of Some On-The-Road Cheerleading

jleighpark

I'm in need of some cheerleading or tough love or something.

I'm on day 8 of my first Whole30. I feel good- I've been sleeping well, my energy is starting to come back from that slump, and cravings are manageable. I'm starting to get discouraged, though. I'm traveling through Antigua, Guatemala right now, which is rumored to have more restaurants per capita than just about anywhere else in this part of the world. I knew going into this that a Whole30 while traveling abroad (especially in a developing country) would have its own special challenges, but overlooked the psychological aspect of not eating out while traveling.

A lot of the advice I've read about dining out while on a Whole30 hasn't been particularly helpful where I am. I have an index card with Spanish phrases to help me ask about food preparation; in the week plus that I've tried this, I've not found a restaurant that can (or cares to) accommodate me aside from a bowl of fruit or a side of bacon. So far, my questions have been met with amusement or irritation and not much help at all. Antigua is much more developed than the other places I've been traveling (part of the reason I chose to do this here rather than in the middle of the rainforest), but still- asking a server if their homemade dressing has gluten or sugar in it is an exercise in frustration at best. Because food labeling isn't regulated the same way here as in the US, many places don't even know what's in the food they're serving. I went to a cafe for breakfast this morning and asked the server (who, I came to discover, was also the cook) what kind of oil she uses for cooking and she told me she didn't know. This seems to be less of a problem at higher-end restaurants, but twice now I've been served dishes that I was led to believe would be compliant and wound up having to send them back (cheese on a salad after being assured there was no dairy, and chicken wings covered in sauce when I was told they were "dry"). I'm getting to the point where I've written off going out to eat at all. I've tried researching restaurants online ahead of time, but I often wind up more depressed than anything else, knowing that by the time I'm done with my Whole30, I'll have moved on in my travels and won't have the opportunity to try any of the wonderful-looking menus I'm finding.

I'm feeling depressed and pouty, and feeling like I'm missing out one of the most enjoyable aspects of traveling. Is it possible for me to do this here? Yes. Am I going to enjoy this portion of my travels as much as I would if I were eating with reckless abandon? I'm starting to doubt it. I know that there's a reason that I started this in the first place- a reason related to how out-of-control my eating habits had become while traveling- but right now I'm feeling like the price is awfully steep.

I'm keenly aware that I'm being a whiny brat right now. A kick in the butt, please?

• Moderators

Now is an awful time for you to do a Whole30. Stop right now and go order something from a wonderful-looking menu.

Do a Whole30 when you have settled somewhere and have a schedule with some routine. While you are on the road, explore and taste widely.

While I was reading, my thoughts were the same as Tom. It sounds like torture and like this is one of those "worth it" opportunities, like grandma's special pie that she almost never makes.

You did say that your goal for the Whole30 was directly connected to travel, though. If you really want a kick in the pants, we can probably give it to you.

Maybe there is middle ground. Can you eat Whole30 when you are preparing your own food and eat to enjoy the regional cuisine when you do eat out? Savour each bite for everything it gives to you. Eat as mindfully as you can at every meal. Then, you will be ready for a full Whole30 when you are settled.

Wow. Thank you both for your input- maybe I am being unrealistic by trying this right now.

Just to clarify a couple of things (I'm stubborn, and I want to be sure that I'm not doing myself an injustice by stopping prematurely):

• I'm on an extended trip. I won't really be any more settled than I am right now for at least another 6 months. I do have a kitchen, and will be living in the same place up until day 25 or 26.
  • When I return to the States, I'll be moving and taking a new job, pushing my "settled" date back at least another few weeks (more realistically, another month). This is as settled as I'll be until the Holidays roll around.
  • Nico, you're right that my goal for Whole30 is travel related. The past month (while traveling) my normal, relatively balanced and healthy eating habits flew out the window. My sugar addiction came out with a vengeance and was fueling totally out-of-control cravings, mood swings, headaches, low energy, resurgence of chronic pain issues, weight gain, etc, etc. I like your idea of a middle ground, but I'm worried about triggering those out-of-control habits again.

I really respect your opinions, and will definitely consider stopping this (or redrawing the guidelines) if it still seems unreasonable from an outside perspective. I'm fearful of sliding back down that slippery slope, though.

This is really tough! I have all kinds of thoughts, but most are very slippery. So, how about this: cook your food compliantly. Then, do as you have been done with scrutiny at restaurants. Keep asking the questions using your cards and think of ways that you may explain yourself even better. Take responsibility for the way that you order. Then, eat what you are served without guilt. Take responsibility for your choices and requests, but lessen up on the guilt when your intention is not met even though you tried. Just stay committed to trying and doing your best!

Make sense? Is it something you might be able to work with?

I've done quite a few extended trips travelling through Southeast Asia. That sort of travelling does invite out of control eating habits, but they are only temporary

After you get home you probably won't want to visit another restaurant for months and might find that your eating even cleaner/healthier than you were when you started travelling. (At least that's how it's always worked for me)

You might never have this sort of chance to experience Central America again, so enjoy it.

What everyones said. This is a time to relax and enjoy yourself. If you feel you need rules to help with sugar cravings and out of control eating - write your own to suit your current circumstances. Personally I like the idea of being compliant when you're cooking for yourself and just doing the best you can without feeling any guilt when you're out in restaurants. Will it be possible to do a W30 at future points in your life - Yes. Will you have an opportunity for a trip like this again? I don't know. Will you have regrets if you don't take the opportunity to try things? I know I would.

Write rules that suit you right now - do the best you can and enjoy it. good luck

Once, during my incredibly fit and vibrant days, I took a two week trip to the great national parks of US West: Arches, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, activities in Moab, Utah, etc. I'd never been there before.

My eating rules of thumb went like this:

1. I tried to keep breakfasts and lunches simple: eggs and fruit for breakfast; salads for lunches. The only exceptions were if I was at a restaurant serving a regional specialty, and then I would only try it once. (for example, blue cornmeal pancakes. I had them once.)

2. For dinners, my most extravagant meals, I allowed myself ONE indulgence: EITHER a glass of wine OR a richer entrée OR dessert. But only one of those things. So if I had a glass a wine, I would order grilled fish and veggies; if I wanted a special dessert, I ordered the same way. If I skipped wine and dessert, I might have sampled something in a cream sauce or some otherwise decadent meal.

Here's a thing to keep in mind: stressing about food raises cortisol levels and can lower your resistance and make you ill! This is an experience to savor and cherish, and your brain should be open to all that is new and different and challenging and exciting on this venture of yours.

On your deathbed, which will you regret more? That you weren't 100% compliant on your adventure, or that you ate some things that weren't on what is supposed to be a time-limited venture?

Pea

Here's a thing to keep in mind: stressing about food raises cortisol levels and can lower your resistance and make you ill! This is an experience to savor and cherish, and your brain should be open to all that is new and different and challenging and exciting on this venture of yours.

On your deathbed, which will you regret more? That you weren't 100% compliant on your adventure, or that you ate some things that weren't on what is supposed to be a time-limited venture?

Thank you, Pea!!! And Anabell, it's really helpful to know that the out-of-control habits were temporary for you when you were traveling. Thank you.

After I posted last night, I took a long look at the specific places I was passing or hearing about every day that I was particularly excited to try (or sad to not be able to try). In actuality, there weren't that many, which made me realize that it's less about the food, and probably more about the social/psychological attachment to the act of going to a restaurant and eating (I'm traveling solo, so frequent social interactions are important!).

I made a list of the places that I really want to try, and decided whether they appealed to me because of the place itself (good music, great setting, etc) or because of the food itself. The places that I want to go to 'just to go', I'll visit after a meal and enjoy a cup of coffee or a compliant side dish of fruit or something and enjoy a book and the atmosphere. The other places, I'll visit as an indulgence, order as responsibly as I'm able and without guilt about the results, and only indulge if it's something that I won't be able to try anywhere else-- in other words, regional cuisine. This gets into a little bit of a grey area (for example, cacao beans are a big thing here in Guatemala, so there are lots of places with "famous" or "traditional" Guatemalan chocolate treats) but I think if I'm honest with myself (will a Guatemalan chocolate treat really taste that much better than something back home-- which will still be there when I return? Probably not. But seeing and participating in a traditional Mayan chocolate making process isn't something I could do back home, so that might be a worthwhile indulgence.) those things will sort themselves out.

Hopefully, compromising a little bit won't invite back the demons that I am just managing to get under control!

Archived