Friday Night Fun =

Becky T

cleaning my kitchen and starting the weekend vegetable chopping.

It is day 3 of my 2nd whole 30 and Friday night feels like a bummer without some sugar splurge. I'm not even tempted to actually indulge the craving, but I'm reawakening to the emotional/entertainment value of weekend sugar eating.

So instead, I am studying ISWF, mentally gearing up for things I need to improve (fewer nuts/nut butters, NOT snacking after dinner, trying to get hormones regulated) and getting ready to work in the kitchen for a couple hours.

I have 4 kids, including a 10 year old boy who can eat his (5 ft., 100lb) weight in produce, so I am chopping a LOT of veggies.

Back to it. Happy weekend to fellow whole 30 moms.

I can't even imagine feeding four kids especially a ten year old! Our two and three year olds are voracious little monters and we are going through squashes and carrots like there's no tomorrow - and they have small bodies! Happy weekend and week to you!!!

On our first whole 30, my kids (10, 8, 6, and 3) all were 100% with my husband and I. That included THREE birthday parties ( I brought my kids pitchers of raspberry coconut milk smoothies) and Valentine's Day. Having to 'cook' breakfast and lunch for them (vs. oatmeal and sandwiches) was a serious adjustment. The first 2 weeks I felt like I lived in the kitchen. They were hungry ALL DAY LONG. I finally starting cooking eggs and veggies in COPIOUS amounts of coconut oil and requiring them to eat chunks of avocado at breakfast to slow down their non-stop eating. My 10 year old is 5ft, 100lbs., plays soccer, and rides his bike all afternoon, so the boy can put away serious food. We went through 10 apples a day the first 2 weeks. It was crazy.

This whole 30 I am being more lenient with them. We still had some bread, milk, and cereal in the house when we started, but now that it's gone, it's gone. The exception for them is cheese. My kids are not picky eaters, but they get tired of eggs for bfast, so I let them grate cheese on them a couple times a week. However, when they are at other's houses, I let them eat whatever is served. (I mean, you want to feed my kids for me? Please, feel free, I would love the occasional break.)

The part I am still trying to balance is how to keep this up as a lifestyle. I LOVE how I feel once I hit the sweet spot(and I feel like my kids behavior is better when they eat this way, we'll see how I feel about that this time around) around 15 days in, but I still find it a challenge to spend this much time in the kitchen, day after day. 30 days feels doable, but month in and out is where I find myself overwhelmed still.

On our first whole 30, my kids (10, 8, 6, and 3) all were 100% with my husband and I. That included THREE birthday parties ( I brought my kids pitchers of raspberry coconut milk smoothies) and Valentine's Day.

The part I am still trying to balance is how to keep this up as a lifestyle. I LOVE how I feel once I hit the sweet spot(and I feel like my kids behavior is better when they eat this way, we'll see how I feel about that this time around) around 15 days in, but I still find it a challenge to spend this much time in the kitchen, day after day. 30 days feels doable, but month in and out is where I find myself overwhelmed still.

Oh, so fun to hear your experiences - tell more! And advice! We've gone to one birthday party so far and I was amazed that my kids wanted to eat tahini coconut treats I made instead of cake. We have another one coming up this weekend where pizza dinner will be served. I was planning on feeding the kids ahead of time and then making some paleoized pizza for them. I like your raspberry coconut milk smoothie idea and will maybe try to do something like that. I'm gonna google it.

As for the time it takes - oye vay - it's crazy. Every thing else is on the back burner. I tell myself it will get easier as we get the hang of things and I really hope we continue on next month, but the time it takes to prepare food to eat well is definitely a shift in my thinking. However, some of our meals have been pretty dang good and I love that my kids are eating almost everything these days.

The "sweet spot". I could sure use that just about now!! Day 14 for me. Your post makes me hopeful that this week will bring good things (cuz right now I'm tired and behind with work and not feeling the sweetness :) )

EandK Fmaily- I hope that sweet spot kicks in soon! I have felt the same way...everything else is on the back burner. I have not yet found my rhythm again this time, but I am working on it. Thankfully, my hubby is very supportive (and just made a late night run to the store to pick up a few things we need for tomorrow), and helps cook dinner on the weekends.

30 days was a challenge for my kids. They were troopers,but even I was feeling bad by the 3rd party...turning down pizza, ice cream, cake, and candy again. (and fielding ALL the questions from other parents!) It was good b/c it REALLY opened my eyes to how often that kind of food is available/offered to them. It was several times a week!! I know the goal is not whole 365, but I found myself thinking,'If they are going to eat junk, I want it to be something I/we LOVE, not just store bought cheap cupcakes.' So when my daughters birthday rolled around, we made mini-cupcakes and had lots of fresh fruit and veggies. We put it out tea party style and she was delighted! Several Moms thanked me for not over-sugaring their kids. It felt like a win/win. But like I said earlier, this time around I am being flexible when the kids are guests at someone's house. Not sure where I will draw the line for a long term strategy.

Things that helped when we had our whole 30 groove on: double batch EVERYTHING (guess this depends on age and how many kids you have...I double batch just to have enough left overs for lunch). spend 2 nights a week pre-chopping most commonly used veggies. have the kids help with this (my 8 and 10 year olds are allowed to chop celery, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and other 'soft' veggies. it helps me and they are learning life skills!). grill 5-6 meals worth of meat at once (we use 'Well-Fed's chicken brine for chicken and pork a couple hours and then use 4 or 5 different spice rubs on the different pounds of meat so that we have 4-6 varieties of meat for lunch/dinner)-we do this on Sundays. find some fantastic crock pot meals and add tons of extra veggies (i.e. sweet potatoes)..i usually increase the spices some too. I try and stretch our chili recipe out by steaming an entire head of cauliflower, running it through the food processor, and stirring it in. No one can tell! Then we eat it over spaghetti squash.

That's a few things that help us. Hopefully by this weekend I will be running on full power again. Day 6 was tough today--I am WORN out and heading to bed now. Good luck to you and your family!

I think the trick really is doubling up on things. It's yet another shift in thinking and I worry when we have so much food in our fridge, but so far, we haven't wasted a thing. My kids LOVE being in the kitchen when we're cooking. They stir things on the stove and dump things into the bowls (including things that ought not to get dumped) and it can be SO frustrating, but their involvement and interest is good so we try to embrace it. This week does seem a bit easier planning wise - we might be getting a bit smarter and a bit more aware of how much time each thing takes, but it's still such a new process (a good one, but a new one).

We are traveling in May to a festival where one of the fun things to do is to eat everything. I'm not quite sure how we're going to tackle that one or if we even want to tackle it. My fear is that once we stop doing this, we'll all feel lousy and have to go through the lousy feeling process to get back on track, but maybe things in moderation aren't that big a deal.

Ummm Becky I'm smiling because I could quote nearly everything you've written;) My kids are 8, 6 and 3. I'm on day 4 of another whole30.

I'm the only one doing it this time, but our family pretty much eats Whole30 most the time now (aside from letting our boys make their own choices outside of home and the occasional serving of rice and cheese as a condiment because they just LOVE it) When they have treats we are very intentional about it try to make it's something awesome and worth it. Both of my older boys are constantly turning down birthday cupcakes and donuts at school (What's with the donut obsession in Texas???) We do take them out for ice cream on occasion or make fruit smoothies at home so they can enjoy a special treat in lieu of indulging in a "gluten bomb" (their words, not mine) at school.

Occasional evening indulgences (dark chocolate and almonds) and weekend "treats" are the most difficult for me to give up. I also find myself skimping on my own lunch because of the effort required to prepare packed lunches for my boys every morning before school. I get sick of chopping "stuff".

I really need to get on board with weekend meal prep... you've inspired me:D

It's good to see others with kiddos on this journey. We have 5 kids, ages 6-12, and they eat like there is no tomorrow. I am on day ONE. You should see my kitchen, and my fridge. I think it exploded. :) Big trip at the farmers market yesterday, with 2 of the kids. They chose cabbage and brussel sprouts. We have eaten almost paleo for awhile, but I think the biggest change will be no gluten free udi's bread for quick sandwiches in lunches. They were pretty well trained to make their own lunches before, but we are going to be learning new things!

I saw on another post that someone had got a letter from their dr about food intolerances. I love my kids school, but I have never seen so much candy, on a daily basis. It's crazy. I have 2 kindergarteners and there is either a birthday, reward with food, or just a mom popping in with surprise cupcakes every single week, and sometimes twice. I just emailed our pediatrician and asked him to write a letter for their file that says they may not have any outside food. He's a great guy, so I'm sure he'll do it.

I do have a question. How did you explain to your kids what you were doing, and that it was important that they not accept treats from anyone at school. I'd like to do this right, so I'm talking about even that stick of 'innocent' gum full of sugar? 3 of my kids are adopted from Ethiopia, home a year, and they have been so bombarded by sugar at school that I am afraid they won't have the will power to say no, but I'd like to explain it to everyone in such a way that it's not something 'not fun, and limiting,' but a great thing for our family to do together to feel great. Maybe a non food related reward for their success? I'd love your ideas.

I saw on another post that someone had got a letter from their dr about food intolerances. I love my kids school, but I have never seen so much candy, on a daily basis. It's crazy. I have 2 kindergarteners and there is either a birthday, reward with food, or just a mom popping in with surprise cupcakes every single week, and sometimes twice. I just emailed our pediatrician and asked him to write a letter for their file that says they may not have any outside food. He's a great guy, so I'm sure he'll do it.

I do have a question. How did you explain to your kids what you were doing, and that it was important that they not accept treats from anyone at school. I'd like to do this right, so I'm talking about even that stick of 'innocent' gum full of sugar? 3 of my kids are adopted from Ethiopia, home a year, and they have been so bombarded by sugar at school that I am afraid they won't have the will power to say no, but I'd like to explain it to everyone in such a way that it's not something 'not fun, and limiting,' but a great thing for our family to do together to feel great. Maybe a non food related reward for their success? I'd love your ideas.

Honestly, this is where it's hard. It takes some time for the kiddos to make the connection between how they feel and what they eat. For now, I'd tell them that you're doing an experiment as a family, to make your bodies healthier. If they have any health issues you're hoping to work on, you can use those as an example. Tell them that it's not forever, and that you will send acceptable options to school so that they can participate, but for now this is how it will be. They may not get it - and that's okay! But they'll trust that things will be alright :)

Thanks! We had a first night grand success, and I thought this idea might help others.

I prepared a few steaks and chicken. Then, I cut up about a million different kind of vegs, including hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, beets, and some other 'weird' things. We had a total of about 12 different vegs in different containers. I gathered them all around with a paper plate each and a toothpick. I said we were having a very special 'tasting menu' tonight. They each tasted one very small bite of each thing, and then got to go back and fill their plates with whatever they wanted to make their salad. I had a really great olive oil dressing for it and sea salt to top it off. My 5 kids LOVED it, and ate at least a plateful of delicious food. The one who had the 'least' variety when he went back for his own plate still had, steak, chicken, beets, carrots, mixed greens, and tomatoes. They went on and on about how delicious it was and I couldn't have been prouder.

I think I will see if each meal I might try a 'tasting menu' first and then let them go back for what they want most. We have nothing in the house that isn't compliant, and the idea seemed to make trying new things not so bad, and also gave them just a tiny bit, when if I had filled their plate, their first reaction might have been to say how gross it was because the amount was overwhelming. This way they kind of get to 'save face,' try something new and maybe like it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread! This very subject has been on my mind. We are not currently on a W30, but stay pretty close to it as a lifestyle. There are so many days when I feel I never get out of the kitchen. I have to keep reminding myself how much better I feel, and how the kids are thriving with clean eating. We only have two kids, but they pack away a serious amount of food! We stock the fridge with veg on Wednesdays until there is no more room, yet it is empty by Saturday night. I am so pleased to see my kids trying and enjoying new vegetables and spices/herbs.

• 2 months later...

The food prep combined with one especially picky eater, possibly combined with sleep deprivation and hitting the "kill all the things" stage pushed me over the edge today on Day 12. I literally shut myself in my room, sobbed, and told the kids to eat anything they wanted (including ridiculous amounts of fruit and non-compliant foods I hadn't thrown out like popcorn), if they would JUST LEAVE ME ALONE, and not complain about being hungry or not liking things. I have five children, ages 9, 7, 4, 2, and 6 weeks, and I'm not asking them to be complaint outside the house. *sigh*

Archived