100 Days of Whole30

KGG

April 10 marked 100 days of Whole30 and I wanted to share the experience here.

I was a binge eater. I have been bingeing on high carb/high sugar foods since my freshman year of college in 1986. Every few months, I'd get fed up, try and control the binges by dieting only to find myself sitting in the grocery parking lot 3 days later inhaling donuts or hiding in the pantry with a loaf of bread. I hated the behavior, and consequently, hated myself. I had control over every other aspect of my life - a wonderful marriage, 3 great kids, a fulfilling life, but I couldn't get that binge-monkey off my back.

In February 2012, I read about Whole30 and decided to do one. It went so well :). But just a few days later, I was back to the sugar. Another Whole30 in June, another in August, and a fourth in November all ended with massive sugar binges and a regain of any weight I had lost. Sometime last fall, I read the article about why your Whole30 might not be working. I also read a book called Brain Over Binge that totally changed my life. Suddenly, I knew I could do this thing. I could overcome my bingeing and never binge again. On December 27 I told myself, "You will never binge again." On January 1, I started eating Whole30, promising myself that I could and would do it for 100 days. And I did. On Day 101, I made my usual eggs, I had a big salad with tuna and avocado, and fish for dinner with vegetables. I didn't binge. I didn't even consider bingeing. I have no desire anymore. Paleo has become my normal, everyday habit.

Aside from finally ridding myself of the overwhelming urge to binge, I noticed the following changes over the course of 100 days:

- lost 17 pounds (from 128 to 111 - I'm only 5'1")

- skin perfectly clear

- hair is thicker and healthier than ever before

- no more gas or bloating

- eczema is gone

- positive mood and no more yelling

- healed toenail fungus

- early symptoms of perimenopause (irregular periods, painful ovulation) disappeared and I returned to my usual 27 day cycle

I have nothing but positive things to say about Whole30. I plan to continue eating Paleo for the rest of my life. I turn 45 years old tomorrow, and for the first time since I turned 18, I can say I am happy with my body, happy with my life, and happy with myself :).

Kristina

Your story is my story. I binged on pasta, bread, etc ( no sugar) for most of my life. I did three previous Whole30s before starting the Whole100 on Jan 1st. I fell off the wagon every time. I knew I needed more than 30 days to create a new habit, and it worked. The first three times, I would spend the last two days planning what forbidden food I would eat when it was over. This time, I'm just not interested. I haven't done a reintroduction, because there isn't that much I really want.

Where have you been the last 3+ months? We started our group with over 40 people, and only 7 of us made it across the finish line. We would have loved the company!

What a great story! I have a similar past (and I'm the same age...maybe we can blame the 80's or something?!) and came to a similar conclusion at the beginning of the year as well. I missed the boat on the Whole100 but I started my own Whole60 with a lot of the same goals, 37 days ago. Even now, I still feel that dragon lurking..so I know I need to go longer.

Congrats on a huge accomplishment!

Archived