Making Mayo Update

Jenn B

For those of you who assisted in my making mayo venture, here is an update, continued plea for suggestions.

First batch went down the drain.

Second batch, getting there! Actually used it for deviled eggs. Added the extra yolk, used the hand blender, pretty sure everything was room temperature, and took over 6 minutes to drizzle the oil in.

Standing alone, my mayo has a slight yellow/greenish hue. Heavy on the olive oil odor (not noticeable in the deviled eggs) and more soupy than mayonaisse consistency.

Looking at the "high quality" eggs I used, they were quite small, so bought some jumbo size. Maybe this will help. Bought avacado oil (suggested I think on the clothes make the girl site) and now am prepared to make the most expensive batch of mayonnaise!

I am following the instructions, so I am not understanding why everyone else's is coming out perfect every time and I hitting collasal failure with each attempt! And would like to get this sorted out for summer eating (egg/tuna salad, and varying my salad dressings).

Despite the soupy nature of mayo, the deviled eggs were super!

What are you using for olive oil? DO NOT use EVOO. You need "Light" or "light tasting" olive oil, which should not have the green tinge of EVOO, nor should it have any smell.

I, too, had mayo issues initially, and found that if I used 1/2 light OO and 1/2 coconut oil, it worked better.

Also, if you use a blender or processor you need to drizzle the oil. The people having success with a stick blender put all the ingredients in and whip that was in seconds. Are you using a hand mixer with the 2 blades like you use for cake batter? It may not spin fast enough.

Ok- I am using the two blade hand blender that I would use for cake batter. I did not have it on the highest speed. I was afraid to. When I used my vitamix, there are only 2 settings and the ingredients got hot and it was smoking.

Also, I am unable to locate light olive oil. It was suggested to not use extra virgin, and everything on the shelf IS extra virgin, and this was Whole Foods, and an independent organic market.

Ok- I am using the two blade hand blender that I would use for cake batter. I did not have it on the highest speed. I was afraid to. When I used my vitamix, there are only 2 settings and the ingredients got hot and it was smoking.

Also, I am unable to locate light olive oil. It was suggested to not use extra virgin, and everything on the shelf IS extra virgin, and this was Whole Foods, and an independent organic market.

Hand blenders are built to add air to what you are blending. Not what you want in a mayo and it will not make an immulsion.

I posted my recipe on another topic. You can get the light tasting olive oil at Walmart, Star is the brand name. A couple of nights ago, I threw two eggs in the food processor straight from the fridge. I added 1 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar. Then a squirt of compliant mustard. I started them processing and added two cups of the light tasting olive oil over the course of only a couple of minutes. It starts out a little looser than store bought, but a couple hours in the fridge and it is perfect. All done in less than 5 minutes, not including clean up.

I use light olive oil, and follow Well fed's mayo recipe. I also have a little food processor that has a few drop holes in the top to drizzle the oil into. The immersion blender worked once for me, but every other time was a fail-leo.

I found a some medium taste olive oil at Safeway and that worked awesome. I too sent 3 batches down the drain before getting it right. Lots of waste, but now I will be doing it myself forever so it was worth it.

Archived