Does this sound right for long bike rides?

cayenne

So day 7 here! I had a 60 mile ride planned today so for breakfast I has 3 eggs, broccoli, and Canadian bacon. Then I packed a small sweet potato, a banana, apple sauce in a gu packet, and almonds. I have to say that the first 40 miles were good although I took it slow. The last 10 were rough and I am exhausted right now. Spread the calories over the ride starting at 10 miles, then at 25, 40, 50 trying to balance the carbs with the nuts. Whew-glad that is done. Will it get easier? I love riding long distances! I don't think I could do much more at this stage of the plan, though.

I'm certainly no expert, but, yesterday, prior to my 45 miler in awful, horrible Gale force winds (think 30 mph gusts, seriously), I had 1 nitrate free chicken sausage, 1/2 an avocado, and a little bit of squash (that was against the meal template, but I wanted to see what would happen) and, then, during my ride, I had three large dates stuffed with almonds. I felt great throughout, even despite battling through some nasty weather. I had some sweet potato afterwards. I would definitely try some fat. I find that to be key prior to the workout. The almond stuffed dates were a suggestion I saw posted here and wanted to try.

I used to be a long distance cyclist and I like Lara bars for in-ride energy, but I also bring salted nuts---a few go a long way, I use them as a means of replacing salt, which is often what we forget we need to replace besides calories (My leisure rides were easily 35 miles and I'd done more than one 500 miles in 7 days (my beloved FANY ride www.fanyride.com)

Pea

• 2 weeks later...

Archived