Emotional Eating

Sigh... The news out of Boston this afternoon is terrible and troubling and scary and we know a whole lot of nothing right now. I got the text message about it as I was picking up my son from school so I didn't even get to surf over to find out details for a while. We're home and not going out which is a good thing because my first reaction is to go eat terrible food.

After 9/11--then BF, now hubby (of grouchy hubby fame), made Kraft Mac and Cheese as the passenger lists came out and I realized I knew someone on one of the flights.

Newtown--stopped for Popeye's fried chicken on the way to pick up my son from school.

Or my all-time favorite of sliced "orphan" birthday cake from the grocery store.

Etc...

None of those things are in the house today and as I said, we're in for the night. So I guess right now I'm just typing out loud that I really want to eat something inappropriate to make me "feel" temporarily better. There is gin but I'm not up for that on a school night!

Sigh...

Fewer crazy people in the world would be good...

I experienced some heavy cravings last night as well, while becoming emotional watching the news coverage. Emotional eating is very difficult to deal with, and has definitely been a stumbling block for me throughout my life. Last night, I found myself thinking "If I'm going to be upset, I should have a glass of wine. That will help." But I immediately deterred my thoughts to other things: baking chicken for dinner, ironing clothes, finishing laundry, and packing lunch for today. I have found (in only 9 days of my Whole30) that deterrence is a very helpful tactic when dealing with my food cravings; when I am busy with other things, I can beat my brain. At least for the moment...

Thanks.

I ended up with all compliant food, probably in larger quantities and proportions than were ideal but there was no gin or chocolate.

I roasted a head of cauliflower and since the oven was on I took the opportunities to roast some chicken backs I bought from the farm over the weekend. They were covered in loads of skin and fat so I rendered that down into crispy chicken skin and then started a big pot of stock. So more fat then the template suggests but today is another day and I'm back on track.

Hi Booklovingbabe (love the name) it sounds like you coped really well with it. What happened in Boston was horrendous, I just can't fathom the mentality of people who would do such a thing.

Emotional eating can be a really hard thing to overcome. For many of us it starts in childhood, my mother used food, usually junk food or sweet food as a comforter whenever I was upset. She used to actually say "Have this, it'll make you feel better" and of course it did because she was comforting me. Now, as an adult whenever I'm really upset or horredous things happen, I immediately feel as if I want those comforting foods. It took me years to divorce the feeling of wanting to be comforted and told everything will be allright from wanting sweet food. But Krista's right, it only gives a temporary good feeling and leaves you so much worse afterwards.

So well done you for getting through it and good luck with the rest of your W30.

Yes, my best friend was running along with a few other friends. She is fine but I was panicked wondering if she or her family were injured. In any case, the news is awful.

I really really wanted a glass of wine but instead I went to a yoga class and it was just what I needed.

I think the only way to beat our brain patterns is to make new ones. It's definitely not easy but you will feel much better after a long walk outside or whatever makes you feel more peaceful.

Archived