Receiving Communion

Toothchick

Can I receive holy communion at church (wafer and wine) while doing the Whole30? I had a little moment of terror while trying to decide whether or not I could receive communion at church yesterday. I chose not to until I could research it a little more and haven't been able to find an answer yet.

I thought I read that exceptions were made for religous purposes - I know that during my last Whole30 I would have a sip of wine and a peice of Challah every Friday. Personally I don't think it's worth putting a diet above your religon, especially when it's such a small amount so infrequently.

Are you Catholic? Because then you aren't eating a wafer at all. You are eating the Body of Christ. (So it is said). ;)

In all seriousness, I am a big believer in Whole30 but it is a lifestyle, not a religion. If your faith is strong enough that you are attending weekly mass, I would not let Whole30 compromise that. The wafer is really small anyway.

Others may disagree, and this is my personal opinion ONLY, but I say that the communion wafer is a legitimate Whole30 excpetion.

• Moderators

You can take prescribed medications and participate in religious services without restriction during a Whole30. There are some authorities we don't argue with. :)

My church offers gluten-free wafers because our associate pastor has celiac disease and took the initiative to introduce them. She feels a difference even with a small bite of regular bread. Your taking communion may have a negative physical impact on your gut, but you can still have a good Whole30 if that is your only variation from the plan. Wine is likely to have even less influence than bread, so a sip at a service should not undermine the rest of your efforts.

Maybe I missed this part when I did my first communion when I was 6 (and probably a discussion for another website), but what happens if you don't have the host and wine for a month?

As far as I'm aware it's not a sin of any kind to skip out on it (our church didn't even have wine for the first 15 years of my life).

Obviously religion is very personal, so it would be up to the individual how they go about it, but to me, gluten is gluten, and may cause damage to your gut no matter the bread represents. I just think it has the potential to ruin the whole elimination point of the Whole30.

Archived