Cole Slaw - SWYPO?

I have seen a few broad (and narrow) topics on paleo-fying comfort foods and the views were mixed.

There is a nice, big old head of green cabbage sitting in my refrigerator that I am thinking about for tonight or tomorrow evening. I have plenty of great cabbage recipes, it's one of my favorite recipes.

Then I thought about making cole slaw. I really do like cole slaw, it reminds me of summer BBQs. So then I got to looking up Whole30 mayo and dressing recipes, and started to realize that this might be recreating a junk food. Cabbage has great health benefits but I am feeling guilty about this.

There may not be a clear verdict on this but I was looking for thoughts: cole slaw - SWYPO, or a nice healthy springtime treat?

Great, now I am looking forward to this!

I guess I had mentally associated cole slaw with hot dogs, potato salad, all that kind of stuff.... hence the guilt about paleo-fying. Not anymore. Looks like I am going to be making some mayo tonight. Thanks all!

I've made my coleslaw with homemade mayo for ages (I've never liked store-bought mayo), it's just an ordinary side dish that people eat all the time here. My husband will add a spoonful or two of coleslaw to his plate whenever we have salad or jacket potatoes.

I think that paleofying generally comes into play when you start using almond/coconut flour to recreate something that's not paleo.

One way I try to distinguish SWYPO from simply being creative is to ask myself am I trying to recreate something that's basically a junk food that wouldn't add much nutrition wise like paleofying brownies or cookies or am I making a healthy food that will contribute to my nutrition. Coleslaw wins hands down every time. I make it a lot. My current favourite version is to finely chop the cabbage and some spring onions, grate the carrot, mix with home made chipotle flavoured mayo and stir in some dried unsweetened cranberries.

One way I try to distinguish SWYPO from simply being creative is to ask myself am I trying to recreate something that's basically a junk food that wouldn't add much nutrition wise like paleofying brownies or cookies or am I making a healthy food that will contribute to my nutrition. Coleslaw wins hands down every time. I make it a lot. My current favourite version is to finely chop the cabbage and some spring onions, grate the carrot, mix with home made chipotle flavoured mayo and stir in some dried unsweetened cranberries.

Good definition of SWYPO. Not to derail the original topic, but would coconut shrimp made with almond flour be considered SWYPO? 'Cause that's what's on tap for dinner tonight. (Not sure if by "junk food" you only mean brownies and cookies...)

would coconut shrimp made with almond flour be considered SWYPO?

Not sure what you mean by 'coconut shrimp'? Shrimp is good, it's a protein. If you mean coating it in almond flour to cook, I wouldn't see a problem with this, unless of course you've got very small shrimp and tons of almond flour :)

My favourite way of doing shrimp is to heat some coconut milk in a pan, add red thai curry paste, after a few minutes stir in a packet of stir fry veg, then add zuchinni 'noodles' and finally stir in some shrimp til just cooked - then happily slurp soupy curry :wub:

As a popular bar food item, coconut shrimp is coated in coconut and bread crumbs and deep fried. This recipe would be covered in coconut flour then shredded coconut, then pan fried in coconut oil. (I might just drizzle coconut oil over it and bake it). http://fastpaleo.com/fried-coconut-shrimp/

I guess it's no different than the paleo poppers and wings recipes I've seen (which are also healthy replications of bar food), but I wanted to make sure I wasn't violating the program.

Sounds good to me :) The only reason I could possibly give for avoiding this is if you normally fall head first into this in bars and you're just recreating this until your W30 is over and you can get back to the real thing - in which case I'd advise breaking the habit. However, presuming very much that that is not the case :D I'd say it sounds a tasty way of preparing shrimp

Sounds good to me :) The only reason I could possibly give for avoiding this is if you normally fall head first into this in bars and you're just recreating this until your W30 is over and you can get back to the real thing - in which case I'd advise breaking the habit. However, presuming very much that that is not the case :D I'd say it sounds a tasty way of preparing shrimp

Score! No, in fact it was an unhealthy food that I always avoided but I was excited to see there was a way to use compliant ingredients to make something different than my normal shrimp recipes.

Nachos, OTOH, would be SWYPO for me. I wouldn't even try to fake those out.

Thanks for the sensible advice as always, Kirsteen!

Mmmm. I love all slaws!

Please post your recipe? I have a few I make a lot, especially in the summer, but they do mostly contain some form of sweetener. And since I live the crunch of cabbage I'm always looking for new varieties. I especially love asian flavored slaws. I think I might mix up some mayo just for a slaw to tonight. Yay for slaw.

I think mayo made with coconut oil would be fantastic for coleslaw since it tastes a little sweet. I'm just living vicariously through you all though, no eggs for me.

You can definitely find slaws without mayo.

I love this one. Just sub out bad oils. And leave out the peanuts, obv. (I don't think I ever made it with them and it's still yummy.) Though maybe you are off cumin?

http://smittenkitche...oasted-peanuts/

Love cole slaw!! My latest recipe:

Shredded red and green cabbage

Grated carrots

Grated beets

Grated radish

Diced apple

Homemade mayo

Splash of apple cider vinegar

Salt & Pepper

It's a beautiful color too :). I eat it as a side with lunch and/or dinner. I like to have a cooked veggie accompanied with raw veggies. Don't ask me why, makes me feel like I'm getting lots of good nutrients.

Love cole slaw!! My latest recipe:

Shredded red and green cabbage

Grated carrots

Grated beets

Grated radish

Diced apple

Homemade mayo

Splash of apple cider vinegar

Salt & Pepper

It's a beautiful color too :). I eat it as a side with lunch and/or dinner. I like to have a cooked veggie accompanied with raw veggies. Don't ask me why, makes me feel like I'm getting lots of good nutrients.

This sounds a great recipe, must try it. The beets are raw, yes?

Mmmmm coleslaw! gotta love it! I love it with red and white cabbage, shredded carrot, onion, poppy seeds or celery seeds, parsley and sometimes raisins! My mom used to put planters cocktail peanuts in hers from time to time--I haven't since going primal back in 2010. Yum! Nothing says summer and bbq like a big bowl of coleslaw!

Archived