Totally Devastated

MrsL519

Today is my Day 1 and I already screwed up. I had all natural chicken sausage for dinner and didn't realize it had sugar in it until I was cleaning up.

I know going back one day might not seem like that big of a deal to most but I'm so upset. I couldnt even get through one day!!! Ugh!

*sigh* I had to share that with someome that will hopefully understand since my husband thinks I've totally lost my mind.

OK, look, this is a process, and while it's disappointing to have to start over, you live, you learn, tomorrow's another day. It's just food. Take it seriously, but not so seriously that it makes you totally devastated if you happen to screw up. Reserve feelings of total devastation for big situations. If you can relax about it a little this will be easier. I have screwed up Whole 30s multiple times now, but in between the screw ups have been many, many days of wholesome paleo purity. Big picture it's been awesome and it's totally changed my life even if I haven't stuck to every 30 I've started.

Relax! Day 1 is the BEST day to make mistakes! I think everyone here has had an 'oh s***' moment when they read a label, AFTER they ate something. I'm sure you've learned a lesson...just carry on and don't think of it as failing. You'll be doing a W31 now instead of a W30, that's all.

That's ok that you didn't make it through the first day. That is how you learn! If we didn't fail how would we learn? Don't be so hard on yourself. It is amazing that you are even trying a whole30, so be proud of yourself. Imagine, the next full day of being compliant will be that much sweeter. Hang in there. We are supporting you. <3.

Welcome to the club - don't be upset. Some people learn by being told what to do or not to do. Some of us more fortunate souls seem to learn best by our mistakes ;) I say *fortunate* because people who are told what to do or read what to do may or may not remember it. Those of us who learn by our mistakes get it imprinted PDQ into our brains - we really tend not to forget it :) So don't be disapppointed just be glad you had such an experience - I bet you check every sausage from now on ;) And think how lucky you are this was day 1 and not day15. Just pick yourself up and carry on - good luck with the rest of your W30.

Thanks everyone! I feel a little better now, still frustrated but not so upset.

I'm trying to focus on the good. Even though my dinner was not 100% Whole30 compliant it, and the rest of my meals yesterday, were 1000% better than the meals I've been eating lately so I'm trying to embrace that. :wacko:

I just felt like such a failure, I couldn't even make it through Day1!!!!! :( Ugh.... Anywho..... Kirsteen - you are right. I will NEVER eat another sausage without reading the label at least 3 times haha ;)

I agree with JJB. If there was ever a day to learn a lesson like that, Day 1 is it. Imagine if you'd been eating that sausage for a week before you realised. I was two weeks in before I realised my balsamic vinegar wasn't compliant.

And you didn't fail anything. You didn't add milk to your coffee "because you can't live without it yet" or eat a chocolate square because "one won't hurt". Your mind was completely in the right state and that's often the hardest thing to learn during a W30. 1 day down. 30 days to go. Good luck.

Thank you :)

I signed up for the support e-mails and I must say, it was extremely satisfying last night to be able to click on the 'I did it' link rather than the 'reset' link.

It's the little things in life ^_^

Archived