Sick while on Whole30 (common awful achy cold)... Day/NyQuil

Matthew Garfield

Basically, I'm terribly sick right now and would like to start Whole30, again, soon - crashed and burned at the beggining of April, but I'll keep chuggin along - but I'm curious if anyone has any brilliant ideas for substitutes for things such as DayQuil, NyQuil, ZiCam, Cold-Eze, Halls Cough drops, Airborne, etc... Most have some sort of ingredient that is definitely not Whole30 approved so I wouldn't want to restart this thing while taking said over-the-counter drugs.

Any insights would help, mostly out of curiousity, as I'm bound to get better eventually anyway.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I've gone through periods of sickness without feeling even a little bit tempted to take any of the things that have been advertised as helpful for colds, flu, etc. Herbal tea, bone broth, and taking it easy has been good for me.

I can relate. I got sick in my last whole30 and this is what saved me: I grate a bunch of ginger into water and boil it for a while. Then squeeze some fresh lemon into it. It helps tremendously with cough and sore throat. I was able to find mucinex that seemed to be compliant for bad congestion.

I also make what we call "magic soup." It is chicken broth, with tons of toasted garlic, ginger, green onions, chicken and whatever veggies I have around. I squeeze lemon or lime in it and maybe coconut aminos if I have it around. I also try to make it spicy with a compliant hot sauce.

Try to drink as much water as you can. Feel better soon!

Archived