Day 66 - skin worse than ever

Has anyone else got this far and still having acne problems? Clearing this up is not only an aesthetic concern for me but obviously clear skin is a sign of internal health as well.

I've had trouble with acne (acne rosacea I think but not properly diagnosed) for a long time and am used to it getting better and worse, but it's really erupted the past couple of weeks despite staying Whole30 clean for double the 30!

At the moment I'm Whole30 compliant and have also been FODMAP free for a little while (1-2 weeks?) after having an unclear milk reintroduction and wondering if other things were contributing to symptoms. No nuts at the moment either. No coffee, but a couple of cups a tea a day. 0-2 servings of fruit a day, only after I've filled up on protein and fat, though my fat is pretty limited to EVOO and animal fat at the moment as avocados are on the FODMAP list, I'm sensitive to coconut and haven't been able to get to the store that does olives without guar gum recently as it's half an hour away.

Just wondered if anyone else had been through this or had any suggestions...

Have you tried the autoimmune protocol? That's dropping eggs, all nuts and seeds (and butters, flours, oils), coffee, cocoa powder, and nightshades? You usually need to do that for about 3 weeks to notice results, if you will have any, I've read.

I've been reluctant to do AIP... eggs, gotta have 'em! But might be worth it for a few weeks to rule everything out. I'd never seen the look above... looks really interesting! Will have to do some investigating.

Thanks for the ideas...

If you are gluten sensitive it is very likely that eggs are causing a problem for you. Your intestines have suffered a lot of damage if you had eaten gluten. I did the autoimmune protocol for about 3 weeks and felt AMAZING. Skin clear, mind clear, happy and well fed on delicious food. Then my curiosity got the best of me and I ate all the things I had removed and I didn't have the acute reactions like I used to but a few days after my belly is tender and I have 3 big pimples under the surface. Eggs are cheap easy and delicious, I know. But you are SO close to having the healing you seek and I really encourage you to take that leap. It's so worth it. Some of my go-to AIP meals have become favorites that I crave all the time, even if I'm not on AIP.

What are some of your go-tos? I feel I've been pretty good in adapting to Whole30 style meals, even now 70 days after I started. But I find it really difficult to face anything other than eggs for breakfast. A lot of people say they just eat leftovers for breakfast, but it feels really wrong to me :) (Switching from gluten-free porridge to eggs felt wrong, but not having eggs feels REALLY wrong).

Ideas??

My favorite non-egg breakfast involves browning ground grassfed beef or lamb in a cast iron skillet with Plenty of Celtic sea salt and dried herbs. Then I take the meat out to a bowl and heat up about half a can of puréed organic butternut squash in the remaining drippings. Sometimes I ad coconut aminos to the squash. Then I place that on top of the beef and voila- a warm and creamy mushy salty breakfast bowl that I think has more flavor than eggs. Takes about 5 min.

As to your second question- I started out eliminating FODMAPs and that helped with gas and bloating but after I did AIP for about a week or so I started tolerating FODMAPs again. I really believe eggs were the worst of my irritants- right up there with grains. I'd love to do the AIP again but it was tough and I had done a W60 just before. I'm going to take a break, avoid eggs ad take it easy on the nuts coffee and chocolate and see how I do.

My egg-less go-to breakfast is a ground meat (like pork, beef or lamb) made into a patty and then I cook spinach and onions in the leftover fat (or in coconut oil). I find that a simple meal like this really works well for me to start my day.

I already took eggs out of my diet, which is hard considering how many recipes have an egg in it, it seems! That's been tricky, having to move away from recipes that I just can't make without an egg, considering those were recipes that my daughter and husband love. But, like everything else, once you realize you feel better without a food, you learn to adapt to not having it because it isn't worth how it might affect you.

I also suspect that nuts might also be an issue, so I figured I'd try the AIP, but I'm having a very hard time with cutting out nightshades. I can manage no nuts/seeds/eggs, but no tomatoes and a list of spices? That's been very hard for me to adjust to and thus far I've avoided fully pulling nightshades out of my diet. But, everything I read makes me think that if eggs and nuts are a problem, nightshades are very likely to also be a problem. I feel like I'm learning to cook all over again by removing nightshades!

Moluv - did you find that nightshades were a problem for you?

I wouldn't know because I just went willy nilly into eating ALL the AIP foods with no proper reintroductions. I don't feel like nightshades contribute to leaky gut the way nuts and eggs do. Someone on another thread mentioned nightshades contributing to skin flareups and I do have keratosis pilaris that comes and goes. I haven't been able to figure out what makes it worse. I am in no way ready to take on another 30 day AIP challenge but I do think I can live without eggs and nightshades for a bit.

I can't answer to diet impacting acne... But i know

I have personally seen a HUGE improvement in my skin since I started washing my face with oil...and I was a MESS!

There are several different options and methods, but I simply use vitamin E to remove my makeup (while watching tv) and later before bed I gently wipe the oil away with a really warm washcloth.

Archived