Will I Ever Enjoy Running Again?

I am on day 13, and feeling SO much better than I did prior to starting... unless I'm running. I can no longer maintain 10 min/mile pace even on a three mile run. I have run for years, five marathons, many half marathons, 10K's, 5K's... so I know what it's supposed to feel like. The joy is currently gone from running. The number one suggestion I see in the forums is sweet potatoes. I'm eating 3-5 of them a week. Is it possible that's not enough?? I can't really imagine eating any more. I really, really hope to maintain essentially all of this diet beyond the 30 days, but it may not be possible if I don't find my running mojo soon. Any suggestions or encouragement are welcome.

Anne - Without a peek at your daily food intake, it's really hard to say if your carb intake is where it should be for that much running. You also need to be sure you're eating pre and post run, with starchy carbs after each and every run. You can get these through squash, carrots, beets, pumpkin, parsnips, sweet potatoes... Plenty of options.

Long story short - no, 3-5 potatoes a week may not be enough :)

I'm not doing Whole30 yet but my running performance took a significant hit for about 2 weeks when I switched to eating a Paleo diet. After that my runs got amazing! Hang in there and as Robin said...sweet potatoes (and the like) are your friends!

runner here. logged over 800 miles on nike plus...and on pace for 800 this calendar year. and I will say, my times per mile since starting w30 has increased significantly. was 8:30/mi...now, i'm doing 9:30-10/mi. The one exception was the sf half i ran last weekend, i maintained 8:30/mi. I saw that eating a big breakfast, helped....since i mostly run in the AM. spinach or kale 3 egg omelet, and a hard boiled egg. I'm sure the adrenaline helped out on race day....but as for my regular runs....i think its sorta just mental as in, you gotta just resign to the fact your time will be slower, but also know your body is working differently now....burning fat as opposed to carbs for energy. Just focus on setting your goal and finishing, and don't worry about time. I do feel my runs getting stronger every day though.

runner here. logged over 800 miles on nike plus...and on pace for 800 this calendar year. and I will say, my times per mile since starting w30 has increased significantly. was 8:30/mi...now, i'm doing 9:30-10/mi. The one exception was the sf half i ran last weekend, i maintained 8:30/mi. I saw that eating a big breakfast, helped....since i mostly run in the AM. spinach or kale 3 egg omelet, and a hard boiled egg. I'm sure the adrenaline helped out on race day....but as for my regular runs....i think its sorta just mental as in, you gotta just resign to the fact your time will be slower, but also know your body is working differently now....burning fat as opposed to carbs for energy. Just focus on setting your goal and finishing, and don't worry about time. I do feel my runs getting stronger every day though.

Your body will only burn fat for fuel if you allow it to by training correctly...... If you are used to working hard and keep your heart rate above say 75-80% you will convert muscle glycogen to ATP as primary fuel source

Once the muscle glycogen is depleted your body will convert lactic acid into ATP for fuel....then muscle tissue

Simply that's why athletes are so concerned about training at/ above / below.... The anaerobic threshold and the lactic acid threshold...... If you are above these.... Your body will not use fat as a fuel source

If you start running with a HRM and don't worry about your time/mile for a while..... Keep your HR below 70-75% and don't let it go higher...... Now your body will choose to burn adipose fat as its main fuel source ( bonus is 1 molecule of fat yields 300/400 times the amount of ATP as does glycogen). Doesn't matter what you eat, it's just biology..... Now since you are burning fat at an intracellular level, you will start making billions of additional cell mitochondria to burn even more fat..... As this happens you will notice your energy go up and your times go down/ mile at the same HR. Train this way for one or two months and you will be running 8 min miles at a 70% effort....... That means on race day you will have spared all your glycogen stores and be able to ~sprint the last two miles. ;).

Most elite distance runners/ triathletes / cyclists train this way all off season..... It really works

Your body will only burn fat for fuel if you allow it to by training correctly...... If you are used to working hard and keep your heart rate above say 75-80% you will convert muscle glycogen to ATP as primary fuel source

Once the muscle glycogen is depleted your body will convert lactic acid into ATP for fuel....then muscle tissue

Simply that's why athletes are so concerned about training at/ above / below.... The anaerobic threshold and the lactic acid threshold...... If you are above these.... Your body will not use fat as a fuel source

If you start running with a HRM and don't worry about your time/mile for a while..... Keep your HR below 70-75% and don't let it go higher...... Now your body will choose to burn adipose fat as its main fuel source ( bonus is 1 molecule of fat yields 300/400 times the amount of ATP as does glycogen). Doesn't matter what you eat, it's just biology..... Now since you are burning fat at an intracellular level, you will start making billions of additional cell mitochondria to burn even more fat..... As this happens you will notice your energy go up and your times go down/ mile at the same HR. Train this way for one or two months and you will be running 8 min miles at a 70% effort....... That means on race day you will have spared all your glycogen stores and be able to ~sprint the last two miles. ;).

Most elite distance runners/ triathletes / cyclists train this way all off season..... It really works

You've definitely motivated me to stop being lazy and try to find my HRM (that I misplaced over a year ago...)

Hey Anne!

I think that you can absolutely enjoy running again. I have never felt better as a runner than I do now, eating a nutrient-dense, high-ish-fat diet, and training intelligently.

Instead of going in to great detail on how all this stuff works, I'll link to an excellent series of blog posts by Jamie Scott on the subject of High-Fat Diets for Cyclists (though if you use your imagination, you ca replace "cyclists" for "runners").

http://thatpaleoguy....art-one-of-six/

Archived