Dark Green Poo

Sorry for the gross-ness of this post, but I need to post about problems I've been having with my bowel movements. First of all, they've been allllll over the place. Before my Whole30, I was prone to diarrhea and would have upwards of 6 trips to the toilet per day (though it wasn't all loose all the time, it was mostly normal). Since I've started, I've mostly had dark green poop. This is really pretty new for me and a tad alarming, because I've read that this could be bile making its way into the bowel. I'm now going a lot less than normal, which also kind of freaks me out. I've been 100% compliant and this is easily the best I've ever eaten, and I'm getting a ton of good side effects from it--but I'd really like to know what's going on downstairs. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Are you eating a large amount of leafy greens? Iron supplements or antacids? This all comes from Dr. Google so take it with a grain of salt. It does say it usually goes away in a few days and I also read the thing about the bile. I would think going less often would be good. I don't think 6 times a day is very normal. Dr. Google also says if it doesn't resolve itself in a few days, a visit to your doc is in order.

The definition of "normal" bowel habits is anywhere from 3 times a day through to 3 times a week.

As the pp said, I think the reduction in BM is a good thing, and the colour could be due to what you are eating. It should also resolve itself the longer you are on the whole30. What day are you on?

• Moderators

I consider going 1 to 3 times per day normal. Color usually depends upon what you are eating. Green poo sounds good to me as that almost certainly means eating lots of leafy greens. If you are feeling good and noticing improvements in your life, I would not worry much about your poo changes. Things may become more settled within a week.

Archived