Whole 30, Schmole-30

Ross Kennedy

29 Days into the Whole 30 program and I have a few bones to pick with Dallas and Jennifer. First, you should have mentioned that I'd need to get a second job. How else can anyone afford to buy an all new wardrobe that fits your now slimmer figure, in only 29 days?

And don't even get me started on how I feel about exercise now. I used to skip workouts every week shame-free blaming my still aching joints and muscles from a workout two days earlier. Now, thanks to this awful program, I'm healing and recovering from more intense workouts in a fraction of the time. Seriously, how am I supposed to skip workouts if I am pain-free all the time?

But what really burns my chops about this "fad-diet" is that I no longer have the 2pm lull. Seriously, I bought a new bean bag chair for my office specifically to nap in it as my body shut down to digest my gluttonous lunch time binge. Now it sits lonely as I read a book on the lawn all alert and able-minded.

Joking aside, this program works great. I've been traveling the last few days and finding it surprisingly easy to maintain on the road. I feel tremendous, am sleeping better, and feel more alert and functional.

If you're reading this section you've either already gone through the program or are entertaining the idea. If you're in the first group I'd love to know what about the whole 30 you learned and what you'll take forward with you for the rest of your life(style). Mind is eliminating dairy. I was already gluten free. For the second group - those considering trying the program - remember this isn't meant to be how you live your life from tomorrow until you die a healthy and long life years from now. It's meant to reset your clock. Make the short term sacrifice and you'll learn an incredible amount about your body, your relationship with food, and most importantly what "healthy" feels like again. It's likely you've been running at half speed for years and no longer have a clear sense of what "feeling good" really means.

I have learned that wine wakes up my sugar dragon.

I have learned that gluten one day makes me ravenous the next.

I have learned that dairy makes me break out like a 14 year old. Probably a 14 year old that consumes dairy!

I have gained back a healthy relationship with food. I use to log to evaluate calories, which caused all sorts of downstream damage. I stopped listening to what my body was telling me and would only eat when the log told me I could. If I went over my calories for a day, I then felt guilty.

I loved your story and your sense of humor as well!

29 Days into the Whole 30 program and I have a few bones to pick with Dallas and Jennifer. First, you should have mentioned that I'd need to get a second job. How else can anyone afford to buy an all new wardrobe that fits your now slimmer figure, in only 29 days?

And don't even get me started on how I feel about exercise now. I used to skip workouts every week shame-free blaming my still aching joints and muscles from a workout two days earlier. Now, thanks to this awful program, I'm healing and recovering from more intense workouts in a fraction of the time. Seriously, how am I supposed to skip workouts if I am pain-free all the time?

But what really burns my chops about this "fad-diet" is that I no longer have the 2pm lull. Seriously, I bought a new bean bag chair for my office specifically to nap in it as my body shut down to digest my gluttonous lunch time binge. Now it sits lonely as I read a book on the lawn all alert and able-minded.

Joking aside, this program works great. I've been traveling the last few days and finding it surprisingly easy to maintain on the road. I feel tremendous, am sleeping better, and feel more alert and functional.

If you're reading this section you've either already gone through the program or are entertaining the idea. If you're in the first group I'd love to know what about the whole 30 you learned and what you'll take forward with you for the rest of your life(style). Mind is eliminating dairy. I was already gluten free. For the second group - those considering trying the program - remember this isn't meant to be how you live your life from tomorrow until you die a healthy and long life years from now. It's meant to reset your clock. Make the short term sacrifice and you'll learn an incredible amount about your body, your relationship with food, and most importantly what "healthy" feels like again. It's likely you've been running at half speed for years and no longer have a clear sense of what "feeling good" really means.

I LOVE this post :wub: Seriously. I am laughing my pants off and nodding voraciously in agreement!!!

Love, love, love this! It's true, you need a second job to buy a new wardrobe. I cleaned out my closet and needed all new clothes for school. I had nothing that fit me at the end! I wasn't complaining, but my bank account was!

Recovery after hard workouts is much faster and easier.

I love knowing how to reset if I have a few bad days or weeks...and I love how aware I am about how food affects me. Dairy is no longer my friend. Occasional cheese is fine. Ice cream? Not welcome in my life anymore :-(. Alcohol hits me like a ton of bricks now, so I try to abstain more often than not. I love how I would rather eat vegetables and healthy protein and fats instead of unhealthy choices like chips and salsa.

Good luck as you continue your journey post whole30!

Archived