Severely Sick, what can I have

I have some stomach virus the likes I have never seen before. I am 17 days in and want to remain compliant. I have nibbled on a banana and seltzer water, neither have remained inside of me very long. I can't have crackers, chicken noodle soup or Gatorade, so what exactly can I have that is mild and comforting. I do have some coconut water to replace the Gatorade. I am not a huge fan, but will drink if necessary to replace lost fluid. I do not have the energy to cook my own soup.

• Moderators

If you have diarrhea, take something from the drug store for it. When I start having diarrhea, it rarely stops by itself. I have to stop the cycle with meds.

I like coconut milk based foods when I am sick. Like bite-size chunks of chicken cooked with cauliflower florets in coconut milk with salt, garlic powder, and curry spices. Here are two recipes:

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2010/12/thai-chicken-with-cauliflower-and-diced-peppers/

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/11/super-simple-slow-cooker-thai-chicken-and-carrots/

I also like plain baked sweet potatoes served cold, bone broth or chicken broth, and lots of peppermint tea.

Coconut water is probably the best thing for staying hydrated. Finding a brand that you like to drink is hard. I find they all have different tastes. I find diluting mine with regular water sometimes can make it more palatable. Sorry you are so sick and hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all. That was the sickest I have ever been and I don't know why. I took Immodium AD, Alka Seltzer, and my lovely husband made me chicken soup. Feeling somewhat better today. I had to leave the bananas and coconut water alone and ate apples with seltzer water.

Archived