10k race at 8am - what to eat before?

toronto416

Definitely see what works for you. I just ran a 10k a few weeks ago and ate 2 hard boiled eggs about 1 hour before and then a banana in the car ride to the race. I felt great throughout the whole run! I know fruit for the morning isn't ideal, but that is what worked for me!

Good luck!

Do you not normally run in the morning? I try not to change what I do on a race day over a normal day. My general habit is to eat breakfast at least 30-60 minutes before I run, but I'm a morning runner anyway. I like to eat good protein and fat usually with a starchy vegetable. Generally speaking whatever your body is used to is best on race day and use training days to play with different options.

I ran a 10K a few weeks ago at 8 am, and I ate my breakfast at 6 am. I ate a small serving of ground pork/sweet potato hash, a small banana & a few nuts. I've also done well eating a boiled egg and lara bar. I personally feel better at a race if I do all my eating & drinking 1 1/2 hrs-2 hrs prior. My drink of choice (other than water) for both pre & post race is coconut water. This last race I experimented with chia seeds, as I had read online they're good for runners. I mixed them with my coconut water. I did really well on that particular race and felt great throughout...In fact, my pace was faster the 2nd half of the race than the 1st half :) Just make sure you eat something you're used to, or experiment with a pre-workout morning meal a few times prior to the race to make sure it works for you. HTH! :)

Before a race, I will eat 3-4 eggs, and a sweet potato, topped with coconut oil ~3-3.5 hours before the start time. Full of helpful nutrients, and gives enough time for insulin to drop back down before the race.

If it was a longer race, I would also suggest the option to start the race fasted, and begin fueling during the race a little earlier than normal -- but for a 10k it would be better to begin having already topped up the fuel tank.

I ran a 10 mile race this past Sunday that started at 8am. I had 1 hard boiled egg and three homemade "Larabar" balls from a site that I found: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/10/thin-mint-brownies/

Each ball was the size of a ping pong ball. I ate them an hour before the race started.

I was amazed at how stable my energy was the whole entire time and was able to maintain a pretty decent pace without fading too much. I did start to feel a little tired towards the end but I don't think it was because of nutrition and more a factor of my minimal training the last two weeks.

In a few weeks I am running a 10k race at 8am. What should I eat before and how soon before running should I eat?

This made me smile because I asked the same thing a couple of months ago, but I onlly did a 5K.

The race started at 8am and I ate at 6.30am: 2 Boiled eggs, a banana and a few cashews.

I usually now make sure I've eaten 2 hours before I run, especially if I've had meat. If I've had anything other than water in the half hour before I run I always feel sick :-(

Thanks for asking this, because it's reminded me to try a few different things before my next race mid-May (currently trying to decide if I can do the 11k or if I should stick with 7k).

• 4 weeks later...

So in case anyone does a search on this in future, this is what I did for my 7K race which started at 9am (and I actually did a trial last weekend)

Ate at 7.30am 3-egg banana scramble (I fry the banana first and then mash before scrambling with the eggs in the same pan) and some cashews.

Post-run I ate another banana & 1/2 a mandarin (provided by the event) and some more nuts.

I'd like to have a more meaty post-run mini-meal but there was only a limited amount I could carry with me.

Archived