Is there a W30 graphic for kids to check off throughout the day??

My kids have been eating ~80% paleo since August 2011 but lately it has been very difficult for them to stay on track due to various school food rewards, etc. As they age they have been struggling with "being different". :( I figured if there was a FUN kid-geared checklist for them to visually SEE, like their chore charts, etc, that it would keep them on track and feel like they have a say in what they eat instead of "because Mommy made me eat it." I am just not that creative. I have also looked online and on Pinterest without much luck in regards to paleo eating.

I also need to find an easy way to explain EXACTLY why we eat this way without getting too scientific and complicated. Sooo...for starters, have I missed any kid-geared graphics?? Thank you!

I really am not picky, although my IDEAL chart would include:

* The limitations!! - i.e. how many cans of tuna/week, other canned fish, amounts of sun butter & almonds daily/weekly, macadamia nuts, fruit & berries, etc.

* Checks for the minimum amounts of vegetables, with space for more

* List of proteins and how to check the measurements (palmful, size of a Matchbox car, etc)

* A colorful visual of a well-balanced kid-size meal, mainly lunch (they are trying to pack their own lunches, and my son still doesn't know what is in the "protein" category)

* A water checklist

Again...my ideal... My kids need help. Even though we've been eating this way for a while, I think a checklist would help to clarify things...and checking things off is always a motivator! :) They really want to do things on their own and get MAD when I take 2 nectarines, a HUGE apple, and a banana out of their lunch bags. They do not understand the difference betw fruit and vegs...produce is produce. I am displaying the W30 produce, etc checklists for the big kids, who can read, and hopefully the little one will follow but the limitations, measurements, daily checklists would be great!!

Hmm... I might try and make one. One way could be sort of like that "my plate" business for the little ones to trach them per meal but whole30/balanced paleo style. Older kids could have more of a checklist style. You could also have "red light green light" style check spaces for things like fruit, so per meal say one piece of fruit is green light, the second has a yellow and third a red. Just brainstorming of course. Veggies would have all green spaces. Big drops for cups of water. Things that are mandatory like protein, veggies, and whatnot would have one of the meal's check marks have a special look to it so they know that is what they MUST have in each meal. I'll play around with it later and see. I'd love one for my kids.

I made a poster with markers with my kids. We drew a big circle and then split into sections- the largest section for vegetables, next largest for protein, next largest for fats then a small sliver for fruit. Then I asked the kids for examples to fill in each section. They were confused about the difference between vegetables and fruit too. Eventually we drew several choices in each category and I do think this graphic helped them cope with smaller fruit servings. Then the poster fell off the wall and the baby ripped it :/ my boys are 6&2.

There are a ton of free visuals that are used for kids with autism on the web. ( And lots of families with kids on the spectrum are gluten and casein free so visual supports for paleo style diets are likely) younger kids need pictures ... Or even better photographs.

( include the word so that the photo becomes unnecessary as they get older... Plus they will be the only kid in kindergarten that can spell strawberry)

color coding could help eith independent lunch assempbly...portioned proteins ( a drumstick? or HB eggs ? or chicken satay? ) are in pink containers (for lunch choose one pink) veggies are green

( choose 2 or 3 greens) and fruits are red

( choose one) etc. and you could add the fat...

(IMO it is important that we teach our kids what foods are friends... And what foods are not ... ) 😄

For example...Coconut flakes are NOT ever yummy on hard boiled eggs ... But dipping baby carrots in flavored homemade mayo is never a bad thing!

I worked with kids on the spectrum for a long time and a lot of the interventions are very effective for teaching desired behavior/ good choices to ANYONE ..a visual to show what a good lunch looks like is a good thing...but lil guys nutritional needs vary more then ours, so I would be reluctant to have daily charts (some days it's warms and they need fluids... So their unpolluted appetite wants watermelon, Or PE was brutal (sweet potatoes, please)! And if given good options they meet their needs over a span of days, rather then from dawn to dusk...

(The above is simply my opinion... And I've been wrong.... For all I know coconut flakes and hard boiled eggs are the Paleo version of a Reese's peanut butter cup...) shudder...

There are a ton of free visuals that are used for kids with autism on the web. ( And lots of families with kids on the spectrum are gluten and casein free so visual supports for paleo style diets are likely) younger kids need pictures ... Or even better photographs.

( include the word so that the photo becomes unnecessary as they get older... Plus they will be the only kid in kindergarten that can spell strawberry)

color coding could help eith independent lunch assempbly...portioned proteins ( a drumstick? or HB eggs ? or chicken satay? ) are in pink containers (for lunch choose one pink) veggies are green

( choose 2 or 3 greens) and fruits are red

( choose one) etc. and you could add the fat...

(IMO it is important that we teach our kids what foods are friends... And what foods are not ... ) 😄

For example...Coconut flakes are NOT ever yummy on hard boiled eggs ... But dipping baby carrots in flavored homemade mayo is never a bad thing!

I worked with kids on the spectrum for a long time and a lot of the interventions are very effective for teaching desired behavior/ good choices to ANYONE ..a visual to show what a good lunch looks like is a good thing...but lil guys nutritional needs vary more then ours, so I would be reluctant to have daily charts (some days it's warms and they need fluids... So their unpolluted appetite wants watermelon, Or PE was brutal (sweet potatoes, please)! And if given good options they meet their needs over a span of days, rather then from dawn to dusk...

(The above is simply my opinion... And I've been wrong.... For all I know coconut flakes and hard boiled eggs are the Paleo version of a Reese's peanut butter cup...) shudder...

Where do you find those graphics? I have looked at several autism forum sites and cannot find anything. :( Thank you again for your ideas...fantastic! :)

• 1 month later...

What a great idea to use graphics to show kids, rather than just using words to explain. My oldest is a strongly visual learner, so this will really help him. I searched 'paleo plate' on google images and it came up with quite a few graphics.

Archived