i don't like coconut oil

Before I tried using coconut oil in my cooking I was using it all the time as a lotion or for a deep moisturizer in my hair. Now I've tried cooking with it and I don't like the taste/smell!! I know it's healthier than olive oil but what do I do?

You can get coconut oil that does not smell. It is "refined" rather than virgin (or whatever) but it is easier to get used to. Over time though, using coconut milk in my coffee and coconut oil for cooking I have stopped being able to really taste/smell it. Now I like the taste. I've been doing oil pulling with coconut oil every a.m. and it's making my teeth all nice and white.

Is it less healthy since it's expeller pressed?

Basically expeller pressing is much better than the chemical version of extracting the oil. Expeller means it's squeezed out. However, it also often heats the oil too much so that does come into play. I would just go for the expeller pressed or stick with ghee, beef tallow (new obsession of mine) or rendered duck fat.

I'm in the same boat. I have two jars of it and after cooking with it once, I find myself avoiding it and using ghee, bacon fat, or EVOO. I would like to try it with Coconut Chicken though but even then, I have been holding off on making it. :rolleyes:

Archived