Sardines!

KayJay

So I needed a quick and easy dinner tonight after grocery shopping... and I turned to a can of water-packed sardines. I wanted something a little different, since I usually just eat them plain on top of veggies. BUT, I did a search and found a ton of suggestions at paleohacks.com, most of them compliant!

One recipe caught my eye, and even though it sounded a tad weird at first, I'm so glad I tried it!

I rolled the sardines in shredded coconut and fried them in coconut oil! Served over green beans, omg. I want more.

Anyone else have any sardine recipes to share?

Wow..I never would have thought to do that. Must try it. I usually scarf mine after a huge session at the gym as a post-workout meal.

The only other thing I have done is make a lettuce wrap with them. Salsa on top..divine.

Our Nadia is the sardine expert. Hopefully she will see this. :)

Oh Susan, I almost thought that you went for more sardines adventures. Some day some day. Sardines in beef tallow? Lol, gross.

Kayjay, I will just copy my post in other thread with the same name. Hope you'll find something you would like to try.

Oh boy, there are a million ways to eat them!

- From the can (forever best method in my book) and fried as Moluv said.

- I like making pate. No need to skin or debone them as they are soft enough to be blended. Add whatever extras you want. I like smoked paprika, thyme, lemon juice/zest, chives, tomato paste, ghee/coconut oil, onions (bonus caramelized mnom). Spread on lettuce and roll or scoop into bok choy boat.

- Fisherman's eggs Heat the oven to 500°F and preheat an ovenproof dish for five minutes. Place a can of sardines, sliced shallot, chopped parsley and two cloves of finely chopped garlic in the warm dish. Add some black pepper and put the dish back in the oven for six minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, break eggs on top of the sardine mixture. Season with salt and pepper and put the dish back in the oven for seven minutes, until the egg whites are cooked but still jiggly. Remove the dish and let it sit for five minutes. Eat with hot sauce.

- Fritters. Mix together two tins of sardines, two eggs, two cloves of finely chopped garlic, a chopped quarter-bunch of parsley, maybe some coconut flour if it's too runny. Make small balls of the sardine mixture and fry until golden brown. Bonus for post whole30 ppl - sriracha sauce.

- Sardine cakes. Slight variation on the previous one. Make paste with whatever herbs you want (lemon peel, dill, spring onions and garlic goes well for these). Beat eggs - dip - dust with coconut/almond flour and fry it up!

- Salad. They make a beautiful combination with red onions, bell peppers and arugula.

They are super good for you and so cheap. Ask Portuguese friends or look up Portuguese cooking books for more.

So I needed a quick and easy dinner tonight after grocery shopping... and I turned to a can of water-packed sardines. I wanted something a little different, since I usually just eat them plain on top of veggies. BUT, I did a search and found a ton of suggestions at paleohacks.com, most of them compliant!

One recipe caught my eye, and even though it sounded a tad weird at first, I'm so glad I tried it!

I rolled the sardines in shredded coconut and fried them in coconut oil! Served over green beans, omg. I want more.

Do you have a link for this recipe? I'm not sure I quite understand how to roll them.

THAT sounds friggin AMAZING, added to my ever expanding mountain of things I must eventually chef up.

Wow..I never would have thought to do that. Must try it. I usually scarf mine after a huge session at the gym as a post-workout meal.

The only other thing I have done is make a lettuce wrap with them. Salsa on top..divine.

Our Nadia is the sardine expert. Hopefully she will see this. :)

Seconded to scarfing PWO. Perfect with mustard straight outta the tin, too. Nadia is the respected high official in this regard, I somehow feel less Portuguese comparatively (and she's Russian..go figure?)

Subbing this thread.

I really really need to get into sardines. Thanks for all the yummy sounding recipes.

Sardines are lifechanging, Beets :)

Xandra, I... tried. But my "rolling" consists of putting shredded coconut into a plastic container, adding the drained fish, and shaking gently with the lid on. I suppose I could drag them through an egg first... next time!

I'll see if I can find the link... at the moment I can't.

Whole 30 forums + theclothesmakethegirl + nomnompaleo = I need either a bigger kitchen or a bigger stomach. Or both.

Then you should never go to the page 11 of my post log with all the websites for cooking inspiration. LOL.

I needed inspiration for an easy, quick, cheap dinner tonight, so I'm going with some pumpkin and sardine patties like these, but without the flours, maybe served on top of some coleslaw with homemade mayo... http://www.tastehong...ardine-patties/

Did you make it? I did.

Reporting back with my first sardine meal.

My son knocked a tin of sardines in olive oil to the floor yesterday and it opened so I took that as my sign. Maybe olive oil isn't the best conduit but it's what I have. I tried pinching a little taste straight up but these are big chunks (I guess the little ones are easier for beginners?). I didn't think that was going to work this time.

I rolled in unsweetened shredded coconut. Some stayed in whole pieces and some I had to form into coconutty patties. Fried in the skillet I used this am to fry lamb burgers with some extra coconut oil and put over a bowl of arugula with lemony dressing. Yum!

Next time I'll get some of the small ones and I might be more brave but so far, so good.

Did you make it? I did.

I did make it, but I think I did something wrong... The flavour was good but the texture was pretty weird. I think maybe I processed everything too much. Next time I would just mash cooked pumpkin and then stir in the sardines so that they break up but aren't pulverised. Or maybe it was the coconut flour I used to thicken it... Anyway, definitely worthy of another effort!

Ok cool, I thought I was doing smth wrong :) It was a bit too sweet for me, I think half pumpkin and maybe another half grated zuchinni. And yes, you are right about the texture. I would just mash sardines with fork. I decided to experiment with it too.

Archived