What do you do at weddings

lexgem

Since you usually don't get much, if any say, as to what's on the menu? Looking for suggestions to not go off-plan.

Also, would it be ok to take a small sip of champagne to be polite for the toast then discreetly let my husband finish my glass or would even that mean starting over?

I'm already planning on skipping dessert/cake and letting my husband eat mine if it's served as opposed to just on a buffet table.

I will have less leverage for the entree and side-dishes though. I'll try to make good food choices but I'm afraid I'll end up having to start at day 1 again (the wedding will be on my day 18).

• Moderators

You should probably eat a meal before showing up for the wedding so that you are not hungry. Then if all the food is off-plan, you won't suffer while you visit with friends and move around the room chatting with people instead of eating.

There is no allowance for even one sip of champagne at weddings during a Whole30. That is the deal with an elimination diet. You can't get the full experience if you don't follow the guidelines completely for an entire 30 days. However, you could lift a glass and toast without drinking any champagne or maybe you can get seltzer or soda water for your glass.

I quit drinking alcohol when I was 21, its been 10 years and I have been to plenty of weddings without even pretending to drink.

You do not have to toast with champagne. You can politely toast with water. Depending on the bar set up, you may be able to ask for fizzy water in a champagne glass if it really matters to you. But truly, people probably won't notice.

The only people who *might* possibly notice you toasting with water instead of champagne are your mother and your best friend who suspects you of being pregnant. Don't fret about that.

Seriously, most people are at least three drinks in themselves by the toast and/or paying complete attention to the beaming bride and groom and not at all concerned with which glass you are raising.

I'm a big social drinker. :-\ Going to weddings pregnant was an adjustment for me--but mostly in my head before the actual wedding. It was a little harder to hit the dance floor, but there are so many good vibes you'll still have a blast! I say stuff your handbag with the yummiest nuts for you--or whatever it takes to stay on plan. Sparkling water is your friend.

You will feel so proud of yourself when--not if--you succeed. (Imagining yourself enjoying that feeling beforehand will help. Starting a few days before and the whole ride there, keep imagining yourself having sucessfully stayed on plan and imagine how good you will feel and what you'll write here and what you'll say to your husband on the ride home. Visualization works!)

I just finished up my whole30 and there were social situations along the way. I simply said, "I'm on a special diet this month, so I can't have that" if someone offered me something off-plan. Most people said, "Oh I would never have the willpower to do that!" and my response was always the same, "it's only 30 days" and that was it. I did offer to be designated driver, since I knew I'd just be drinking water! B)

Coming from someone who has a long list of food allergies/sensitivities, I am always having to think my way around every food situation, Whole30 or not. I've gone to weddings and survived!

How close are you to the couple marrying? At a good friend's wedding, we were able to talk ahead of time about the food situation. She put me in touch with the caterer and they actually specially made me a plate. That may not be feasible for you, but if it is someone close you might be able to do that. Regardless, you can talk to the staff that's catering about the food. They should be able to tell you exactly what is in all the dishes (or at least let you talk to the chef to find out). There is nothing wrong with doing this and it can be done on the sly without making any kind of scene. I'd suggest trying to do this before the food is served or if it's a buffet line, while everyone's up trying to get food. You may find something that's compliant or that they are willing to make a change for your plate right there on the spot if the food is actively being cooked at the location. Usually catering companies are going out of their way to please everyone. Geez, I've been to a lot of weddings because I've had luck with all of these suggestions above, come to think of it!

Eating beforehand is a good idea if this is not an option. I am notorious for always packing a snack or a full meal (like a salad) and bringing it with me to just about every function. You could always pop out to your car and eat at some point during the reception if you're staying for the long haul or even eat later on at your table when everyone's up dancing. I've done both of these things too. May seem weird, but you get over it. It's just one night.

My husband and I both don't drink, so we always toast with water. My attitude is if someone is truly offended, that's their problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Particularly topical thread for me. We're going to a friends' wedding in a few weeks - a Greek wedding, to be exact!

My boyfriend and I will eat between the ceremony and the reception, then I'm hoping if it's a regular alternate plate arrangement I'll be able to get some steak/chicken that I'll be able to eat. I'm not a big drinker, so that doesn't phase me, although I'm not going to lie I'm going to miss the baklava!

Archived