Why I need to start my Whole30, like now!

MicheleC

Hello All!

I am starting my Whole 30 tomorrow I need to really commit to this. I have struggled for many years with being overweight and using food to ease emotional pain and stress.

Things started turning around for me in August 2010 when I joined a support group and started weighing and measuring my food and I lost weight. Like 100lbs of weight (330lbs was my highest weight). Then in 2011 I went a little nuts with the weighing and measuring and ate an extra apple and then it turned into eating dates and dried fruit in the car in secret and now it is pints of ice cream. I have gained back 10lbs so still 90lbs down but I feel like my relationship with food is in a really nasty place.

I am not in the support group anymore because they are really strict and I can't commit to weighing and measuring anymore and I hope to gain a better healthier relationship with food and not use it as a drug anymore. I feel like I failed. But I was able to hold it together for a year so I know that it can be done and I know how much better and clear headed I felt eating good whole unprocessed foods.

If anyone has any good strategies for handling emotions and stress sugar free please let me know. I will need all the tools I can use to tackle this.

I wish everyone starting their Whole 30 with me the best and please feel free to post and message me and I will do the same. Having a support network helps and the people I live with and interact with for the most part are not on board, though they have seen the changes in me aren't ready to try that for themselves.

I don't have much advice because I'm starting my Whole30 this Sunday, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. So far, from what I've read, the forums here seem to be the type of support group that never kicks you out for a slip-up. :)

I have a lot of the same issues. I am currently also looking into different meditation exercises to help when I'm feeling particularly stressed.

I know how difficult it can be to not have family on board. I'm the only one in my house that eats Primally, and I will be the only one doing the W30. Congrats on your weight loss though, that is amazing!

For stress/emotional stuff, I've found yoga somewhat helpful, and more frequent workouts in general. I also find doing something really absorbing helps -- for me, that means either reading a book I really enjoy or working on some kind of involved craft project. I sat and made a pile of mystery braid bracelets and teeny tiny leatherbound books the other day while watching television. I like making things, but more important, I can't just wander around and worry about things while I'm very exactly slicing things with an Xacto blade.

Thanks for all the replys!! :)

It is nice to feel connected to a supportive group again! The other group I was in was great, it was just that from their experience weighing and measuring is what works and they put in a lot of effort and give a lot of support to make it work for them. I just got to a place where it wasn't mentally healthy for me and I stopped being willing so I naturally ended up distancing myself from them. If I need face to face support I know I can totally walk in the door and be welcomed with open arms.

Mainly I don't want to be crazy with the food anymore and I know that will take a long time to fix. I am focusing on cleaning up for 30 days to calm my automatic responses and reset then slowly slowly seeing what is going to work long term.

I used to Crossfit but a back injury (not from crossfit) has been acting up and I can't do any lifts from the floor (a good chunk of crossfit) but I can do planks and I am focusing on strengthening my core so maybe incorporating yoga would be a good idea. Kind of figuring get my food down first then see about incorporating more.

Thanks again all!! :) So far my two days are going good and I am having a good day 3 and prepping for the week!

Archived