'Animal Fats' for vegetarians

Erika*

Animal fats are listed under cooking fats on the vegetarian shopping list. I am curious about this.

Assuming that the folks using this list don't eat animal products other then dairy or eggs, I'm trying to figure out what would be included here. From dairy, you could get butter, ghee or cream, as cooking fats. I know that ghee/clarified butter is allowed (and listed separately), but I assume regular butter and cream are not? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I can't think of a cooking fat that comes from eggs- if I'm missing something please let me know. (Yolks are a yummy source of healthy fat, but not exactly something you can use as a cooking fat.)

So what does the item animal fat refer to on this list? (I know on the standard whole 30 there are a ton of animal fats to choose from.)

Thanks

• Moderators

My guess is that listing animal fats on the vegetarian shopping list was a mistake. I'll send a note to Whole9 headquarters and ask for clarification or an update to the list.

I assume that regular butter and cream are out and just clarified butter and ghee are okay in the fat category. Of course fermented dairy like yogurt and kefir are okay, but I don't know about cream. I'll ask a Hartwig for clarification. :)

For some folks, the taste and texture of meat are an issue - not just the ethics of animal products. Those folks could still benefit from the inclusion of high quality animal fats. As mentioned above, ghee and clarified butter count in the animal fat category as well. Fermented dairy products would also include an amount of animal fat and should be counted toward your fat sources.

Officially, we had a hard time drawing the line with what to include on our vegetarian shopping list, as it's designed for vegetarians, vegans, and those transitioning out of a veg*n diet into more animal product consumption. Perhaps the animal fats (not butter or ghee, but the tallow/lard) are a bad option for veg*ns, apologies if that was confusing.

Best,

Melissa

Archived