Help! Do I need more fiber or less? Tmi warning also. :/

satisfied7

I did my Whole30 in December and since then have been pretty close to compliant with my food. I recently started taking 4,000 mg fish oil, liopic acid, super enzymes and vit D, all recommended brands. The past couple of weeks I have not been going to the bathroom enough. Last week I went 5 days without going and after taking laxatives called my doctor. The nurse said to drink magnesium citrate and call back if that didn't work. It worked!!! But now I am on day 3 or 4 of not going and don't want to drink magnesium citrate weekly.

Should I be taking another daily supplement like fiber or something else to keep me regular? Thank you!

I have had similar experiences as you, and got in to an annoying (and unhealthy) cycle of not going for a period, taking magnesium so i could go, then not going for a period, taking magnesium so on so on. I have found that ensuring i am having adequate (or even a bit extra) fat in my diet has helped me get off the magnesium and be able to go daily. As for the fiber this is just what i experienced and was told by the pharmacist, if you are already backed up (thus "stuff" is too solid in your body and cant flow out) then fiber only makes that worse, as fibers job is to bind stuff together.....so if you are already too binded together and then you add more fiber it just gets worse. I learned this the hard way.....i am a thin girl and after making this mistake for a few days i honestly looked like i was pregnant.

Thats just my experience, hope it helps!

Ive been reading on here that people take Natural Calm, and im really intrigued to try it. It is healthy and safe to take this every day? I dont know anything about it, i just ask because i know you shouldnt take laxatives for extended periods of time. but im thinking this is different than a laxative??.....

Also, not sure if you experience bloating as well due to this, but I read in another post that the drink Kombucha helps with bloating and constipation....so im thinking of trying that out too

You could definitely work on gradually increasing the Natural Calm--you will know when you have taken too much! I wouldn't take a fiber supplement (most of those are gluten based, or wood pulp, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me...). Instead, you might play around with the amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber in your diet. You could easily need more or less, but it might take some experimentation to figure out what works best for you specifically. EDIT to respond to S&JSwones: Magnesium is not a laxative and it is not habit-forming like a laxative. It does relax the smooth muscles of the bowel, which can be very helpful when someone is constipated. It also draws water into the bowel, so you will know you have taken too much because your stool will become very watery and urgent--usually it is recommended that you increase magnesium gradually to be sure you stop before you get to that point. Good point on the Kombucha. Kombucha and other naturally fermented foods (like sauerkraut) might be helpful in balancing gut flora and getting things moving.

Since having kids I've had serious issues in that dept. whenever I've suddenly changed my diet. When I was veering towards an Eat to Live diet a few years ago (almost all veg) it got so bad I almost checked into the ER.

What has helped me is taking magnesium and digestive enzymes. I was eating so poorly, apparently, that my body didn't have enough of what it needs to break down the quantity of veggies I was suddenly throwing at it.

http://whole9life.co...estive-enzymes/

Archived