• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. My best friend that is kind of MIA in California called last night and we are great at venting back and forth, so an hour of that and a couple glasses of wine at least got me back in bed for the night. The discussion, er, arguing continued most of the morning but an agreeable resolution was made. Wait for it....we are staying exactly where we are. We are going to keep working on building our earthbag dome house (google it!), but not make any drastic changes or big purchases. I'm cool with that. I was unsettled because we had batted around various ideas for moving to the land sooner but in the end, staying put is just way easier and probably worth the rent (which is pretty cheap anyways). I'm going to start my container garden in the front yard and maybe build the chickens a better yard in the back.

I did notice that I was more emotional and irrational than when I was w30- while I'm feeling pretty much good I do miss that supreme calm I had then. My goal is to arrive at that place by virtue of my own wise choices. My bicycle is built from solid information, but it's my own legs doing the pushing.

I've been reading the other threads of y'all (you know who you are!) and I'm pleased with the decisions and transformations we are all making. Just because I am choosing to avoid another w30 or Aip certainly doesn't mean I am opting out of the process. I still need the support, commiseration and documentation as I try to figure some things out.

Just because I am choosing to avoid another w30 or Aip certainly doesn't mean I am opting out of the process. I still need the support, commiseration and documentation as I try to figure some things out.

Oh I thought it's an apriori thing. Let's just rename the thread to "whining collective" to avoid protocol names :)

I'm liking the food list from Primal Blueprint as something I could be good with long term. Moderate cheese, cream and yoghurt, even more moderate wine and chocolate. Otherwise it's w30. I like that the moderate treats are built into the rules.

I'm liking the food list from Primal Blueprint as something I could be good with long term. Moderate cheese, cream and yoghurt, even more moderate wine and chocolate. Otherwise it's w30. I like that the moderate treats are built into the rules.

Mo, I started thevPrimal Blueprint eating on January 1st. I enjoyed eating that way and liked the 80/20 concept. If that works for you, I say go for it! I just wanted a bit more guidelines and felt called to give the Whole 30 a try. I like this forum better because it's less diet mentality. Marks Daily Apple has a wide array of peeps. Some are doing a Whole 30 including rice and white potatoes with an evening off. I needed people sticking to plan to support me.

I didn't see the 80/20 thing... I just read the shopping list. I have looked at their forum before though and it totally creeps me out.

Same here. I joined that forum before I learned about the W30 and it is the Wild West over there. I hear you on the diet being appealing long term. I'd love to eventually add yogurt back into my rotation.

The most appealing part is that Mark listed out what he eats everyday and the first thing is "cup of coffee with cream and sugar". Totally sane. Normalizing that amount of sugar would be really good for my psyche. I want to nourish myself, not live an ascetic existence. I do well with a framework, I know that about myself, and I really like that framework that is a bit more lenient. That said, w30 is what changed my relationship to food, and my body for that matter, but it's not designed to be a forever thing. I need a forever thing. Or at least a summer forever.

I like your forever thing or at least a summer forever. I like the idea of primal as well and will most likely use those guidelines in the long term. But for now I needed to break the cycle of craving flour products. For me the cravings do more damage to me mentally than physically. This month has been amazing in that regard. I want another 30 or 60 to solidify what I'm learning.

I can't wait to hear how you do with PB! I bet you'll do great. But.... You'd better not leave us!

• Moderators

For me the cravings do more damage to me mentally than physically. This month has been amazing in that regard.

Thank you for reminding me of this, Calee. After W30 and staying pretty compliant, I have zero cravings and feel real hunger that I can trust. It's been way too easy to forget how big that is.

Mo, you are already your forever thing. I'm impressed with how you're navigating a W9 lifestyle post W30. You're doing it, lady! And you've got the framework, it seems to me.

Thanks you guys. What I struggle with (and always have) is following some type of program and doing really well, then having that first little bit of a "forbidden" or "off plan" food and just kind of saying "oh, now I better go ahead and eat x, y, z foods too while I'm "off". W30 is fantastic but just kind of leaves you out on your own off-roading and I still can't quite handle it as well as I'd like. What is great about PB is that the "forbidden" foods (cream, cheese, chocolate, a little sweetener) are really the only things off w30 plan I even want. But instead of viewing them as off-plan, they are part of a plan. That takes the naughtiness appeal away, my interest is lessened by degrees just because they are ok. It's like I have Tom on one shoulder raising an eyebrow and Mark Sisson on the other, saying "go ahead darling, a little is just fine"

What I ate yesterday:

coffee with cream

an egg and bacon, sauerkraut

tuna salad with lots of veggies and storebought mayo in little baby lettuce boats (yum!!)

kombucha, honey sweetened dark chocolate (yum!) with a packet of coconut butter (to make it less sweet and more fatty)

1 1/2 burger patties (not grass fed), blue cheese, tomato, mayo in lettuce boats

1 1/2 glass of red wine, didn't finish because I wasn't feeling really great from it and became suspicious

I am pretty sure that I was either glutened by the sushi on monday, or reacted by cross-reactivity to the rice itself. There was so much sauciness on it I have no idea what I ate. Even though I got really fat over the weekend eating that 1/2 rice flour bagel and also the corn tortillas- I didn't have the extreme emotions and brain swizzle that I associate with gluten. I can handle a few days of fluffiness for a party weekend or whatever, but the emotions and adhd symptoms that come on with gluten (or whole rice) is just too much to bear. My poor husband. The reason I think this happened Monday is the worse of the symptoms were Wednesday-Thursday- 72ish hours- but too far from last weekend. I don't know!!! When I am feeling great I will try corn tortillas in isolation. The reason I think corn tortillas may be tolerable is the masa is prepared in the traditional method of soaking in Lime (not lime juice, the mineral lime) which does change the structure and make it more digestible. The rice flour maybe wasn't as problematic as breaking down whole pieces of rice, but neither were soaked or sprouted.

It's like I have Tom on one shoulder raising an eyebrow and Mark Sisson on the other

Moluv, as someone who found PB before Whole9/ISWF, I think this is priceless! Talk about an interesting pair of guardian angels! I wonder what those two would think of each other?

I think you are doing awesome and each of this so-called "rebels" give you a lot of material to think about. It's like a science. There is a theoretical and empirical way of getting the knowledge B)

I think that creating a plan that just works is the main focus. If having cream will keep you from ___ insert whatever so be it. Also think about the quality of "extra" food you are ready to consume. Before AIP I decided that I'd eat cheese on occasion, but only a good raw unpasteurized kind. I didn't feel stressed adding it to my meal, but I had 0 temptation to go and eat those edible bricks called cheese in supermarket.

Moreover, if you have some time to spare you might like the podcast I randomly picked this morning. It's an old one. I like this lady, because she is focusing on women health primarily. Eating, hormones, body image. What I really like about her is that she is a bit of a marginal from a "classic paleo" perspective. She eats right before bed and lived 3 months without mirrors. Which is another fascinating topic. Women and mirrors.

post-14185-13700187467886_thumb.jpg

My snack from yesterday, that left me feeling fine.

I love the Reed's Kombucha, particularly the Raspberry mix and the Grapefruit mix. I drank the one in your picture today. These are the ones my market had for $1.99 in May so I have 24 in my fridge. They're good for months, so why not!

Archived