Well you look great.

I'm 5'7" and I can't carry 160 that well.

Conception?! Wow. That's exciting. I'm done on that front. One of the hazards of starting when you're 33. I think biologically I could easily have and give birth to a baby. It's the next year or so that kills me. But that's very exciting! There's nothing more amazing than growing a baby. Maybe I could come down there and take pictures. It'd be my chance to do a little Spiritual Midwifery photo homage. (Among my fave photos in the world.)

My son woke up after a nightmare and then I couldn't fall asleep. One of the things I was thinking about was you moving by yourself. I'm so spastic I just don't even think I could handle that. Large tasks requiring organization paralyze my brain.

So bravo! The fact that you are chowing kale chips and not drinking buckets of booze and eating take out is amazing.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thanks everyone, this is the size where I'm struggling- all but my largest clothes are snug, and I just feel too big. It's not the way the body looks I suppose so much as that I know I've been eating more than I need due to stress and that creates a stress on my body. Poor body! She deserves better than this! Things are calming down with the move, it's mostly done. I'm working a lot this week then have my girls trip this weekend and hope my husband will be back early next week then we can finish up at our old place together. I know when he gets home I will have a much easier time taking care if myself. I have been taking lots of Epsom salt baths and going to bed early, that's something to be proud of. My self care isn't as far in the pits as it could be. I have been smoking pot for extra energy (weird, I don't think that's the usual response) and while I have literally powered through moving us, the crash is imminent. I'm ready for it though and am glad for this weekend as a reset button. If beets came to photograph our futurebaby (BettyRose if its a girl) I would just die of excitement. What a thought! I love living in the country, I feel truly at home there. Yesterday we woke up to find a neighbors steer in our front yard. See. post-14185-13739990709164_thumb.jpg

Pretty excited to start following the Nourishing Traditions pre-pregnancy diet recommendations. It's a long list of eat this every day and a short list of avoid. The attitude has shifted in my mind I'm thinking about how to fit in all the required foods which automatically excludes the ones that don't fit. I will phase out coffee and weed (sniff) by next week. While I definitely had good clean pregnancies with both my boys, they were surprises and I did not follow a special diet before to prepare. The book suggests 6 months but we will try sooner, even still I'm curious how I will feel following such a nutrient dense diet. I've eaten a lot of this stuff for years but never so concentrated and to the exclusion of bad stuff 100%. I'm not ready for the soaked grains, and will exclude starchy veg and sweets except for special occasions. The recommendations center around healthy fats, raw dairy, egg yolks, organ meats and broth and cultured foods. I can so dig on all of that. I don't know why I have to be told, like a child, to eat my liver but I have some marinating in lemon juice right now. I have found raw grass fed aged cheese at Sams Club and have been tolerating it well. I made homemade refried beans with beef tallow and they rocked my world. In a good way! Soaked legumes and nuts- enjoying them both.

Dashing Mo! The move is almost done? Unbelievable. Your weekend away is well deserved. Hopefully that plenty of rest will balance out the crash? I hope it is working this way. Good luck with liver, maybe you will find it edible at least for the "immune boost" period. 

Yesyes, your boys need a little sister. 

• Moderators

So happy you're happy out in the country, that you're almost moved, that hubs is returning soon, and that you're preparing for conception. I'm eager to learn more about how that will look for you from day to day nutritionally. Wheeeeeee for happy changes!

Here is the list of foods to be eaten for preg prep as per Nourishing Traditions:

Cod Liver Oil

Raw milk/raw cheese

at least one egg, additional yolks

grassfed butter

liver 2xweek

seafood 2-4 xweek

beef, pork or lamb

lard (for vit d)

coconut oil

lacto fermented veggies and drinks

bone broths

properly prepared whole grains, legumes and nuts

fresh vegetables and fruits

unrefined salt

I didn't even put the quantities, but some of the amounts seem daunting.  The focus is def on nutrient dense animal foods, little muscle tissue though.  I like that, as I've been suspicious of muscle tissue for a while.  I made grassfed beef liver pate (a whole pint jar) and had some on a prosciutto/egg fritter thing and think I will just add a scoop from the jar to my evening meal daily.  The jar should last a couple weeks.  I may pour some melted fat over it each day to keep it fresh.  I've thrown out too many jars of homemade pate to do it again.  I have to eat this stuff every day.   I like it.  The list of foods to eat everyday is so long I scarcely have time to think about what I need to avoid.  I had a little of all of this today except the cod liver oil as I suspect mine has gone rancid.  Does it go bad?  Smells like plastic sort of.  It always stank though. 

How exciting that you're going to try for a baby!  I wish I knew then what I know now about nutrition.  Thankfully my son is a healthy, happy dude but I wonder how much more healthy could he be if I was more educated about health before and during pregnancy.  Can't wait to read about your adventures...well maybe not all of the adventure ;)

Had an awesome girls roadtrip to Colorado. As expected I had my ganja laced macaroons and red wine, didn't really like either. Ate fantastic food, hiked, slept in. Good times! Came home with a renewed sense of self care, continuing my nightly Epsom salt/baking soda/essential oil hot baths, early bed times, naps as often as appropriate. No coffee, no refined sweets (only a little honey) and am prepared for long term abstinence from both as well the weed and booze and chocolate as I am hoping to get pregnant in the next few months/year, not sure with my husbands crazy traveling- he wasn't even home when I ovulated, plus I think we are both nervous about him being away so much from a new baby. Job search on the horizon for him, but we know there are job freezes in his field and unless he wants to change lines of work altogether this is our life for the foreseeable future. Ill take a baby in his absence regardless. I love having a reason outside of my own vanity for eating healthfully. I'm tolerating raw and/or grassfed cheese and cream very well, digestion is good, appetite has returned to normal proportions, stress levels are lowered also. Moving by myself was incredibly stressful and I'm a little troubled by how I handled it by self-medicating, but if I'm honest it wasn't as big a train wreck as I make it out to be. Still, coping skills when my husband is gone will be an area of necessary growth and improvement. I've eaten lamb roast, carrots and red skinned golden potatoes for two dinners in a row. Lunch has been salad with salami and raw cheese. Breakfast has been "gronilla" with nuts, coconut, dried fruits and cream. Ill have eggs tomorrow. Tired of sweets. I'm relieved to know I can eat well without the rules of w30, or the restrictions. I didn't trust myself for a while and that wasn't the best feeling. I feel competent again. I'm still the same size as I've ever been and no longer fantasize about an improved version of myself in smaller pants.

• Moderators

You sound fantastic! To no longer fantasize about an improved version of yourself is my ultimate spiritual growth fantasy. And yahoo for trusting yourself! You have been taking good care of yourself and your family all along. You deserve major credit and kudos. Glad you had a fun trip and have returned renewed.

I agree with Lady M. Huge kudos for how you're feeling. I think your self care plans sound terrific. I thinking trusting yourself is a huge victory. Great pic from your girls weekend.

Trip sounds amazing. Have been using grass-fed cream in my coffee with seemingly no issue. Nourishing Traditions was my first entry into this way of eating over a decade ago. Cleary I never stuck with it or else I wouldn't be here now. But I think the ideas are sound. The WAPF site is a treasure trove of interesting info. I remember printing and emailing copies of the soy info to my "healthy" eating friends back in the day. They all continued to think soy was a health food. Sigh.

Pre conception. Exciting. Love the photo. I've been wanting sunglasses like yours. They have cute ones on Madewell.

Gah these line breaks will drive me to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Grains re-intro: I've been toying with the idea of a grain re-intro for a while now and decided a long weekend in Taos/Santa Fe would be the perfect opportunity- mostly because I love it so much here that feeling like garbage would be less noticeable. Also because I have easy access to good quality and fun to eat grain foods- more so than at home and eating grains has made eating in restaurants much more enjoyable and I've gotten to be much less picky- useful when dinning out in a group. Here is a list of all the grains I've eaten beginning yesterday morning: 1/2 slice GF green chili bread (prob rice flour), shared (with my kids over 36 hours) an entire loaf of true sourdough whole wheat bread (supposedly the fermentation breaks down the gluten), 1 blue corn tortilla, 2 slices of gluten free pizza (also presumed to be rice) and a gluten free beer. I turned down (with a little help from my husband) the sopapillas (white flour, obvsly not fermented) as he made a good point that sourdough is in a class of wheat by itself and I wouldn't get an idea how it affected me if I ate some regular flour too. I think eating rice or corn or sorghum beer sullied my experiment in exactly the same why, but truly I am happy I didn't eat that ordinary sopapillas- I don't even like them that much. The pizza was epic- rooftop on The Plaza, smoked duck and basil, grom grom grom. There is a gluten free bakery here that I'd love to go to tomorrow but I have to drive 6 hours with just me and the kids and worry that I'll get too sleepy. Side effects from all this grain eating have been minimal and difficult to pin on food alone. Stress was high due to a tragic death in the family of very close family friends, then this trip got off to a rocky start and sleep was scarce. But now my spirits are high, I feel good, paunchy yet satisfied and content. I had a little stomach discomfort but I also had too much coffee, as well I've got a sore hip and neck but I've been sleeping in a tent for 3 nights. When I get home I am going to start my own sourdough culture and do a more scientific re-intro just to be sure, but so far so good.

Archived