I've been searching for advice on this throughout the forums, and so far I haven't found a helpful answer. I'm wondering what would be an appropriate amount of carbohydrates for me to have daily.

I am a 20 year old, 143lb, 5'2 female. I think most would consider me very muscular. I spent several years competing in figure (similar to bodybuilding.)

I lift weights for 45 minutes 5 days most weeks. 4 days would be the minimum. My weight workouts are heavy and I push myself hard. I typically rest 30-60 seconds between sets or superset.

I also do low intensity cardio either on the eliptical, treadmill, or mountain bike 5 days per week for 45 minutes and I do one sprint workout per week...either running sprints or jump rope, the intervals are 20-30 seconds maximum effort with 30-60 seconds rest, or I jump rope between weight sets. I do 8-20 sprints total in one workout.

I am a personal trainer so I spend most of the day on my feet and I go for 45-60 minute walks in the evening several times per week. Also, I should mention that I am a sugar addict, and along with weight loss, beating my addiction is a HUGE goal.

Currently, I am eating two eggs first thing in the morning on weight training days before my workout. After my workout, I have a serving of meat or eggs and a small-medium sweet potato with coconut butter. On non-lifting days, I do not eat a sweet potato. The only other major sugar or starch I eat is an occasional half cup of strawberries (usually with breakfast on non-lifting days) or roasted beets in my salads.

I would love to hear some different opinions on whether this is too many carbs or not. I really appreciate any input!

With your activity level (kudos, btw!), that does not sound out of line at all. Try it like you're doing it. If you're not getting the results you want after a couple of weeks, tweak from there, I would think.

The only advice I have is to not have the coconut butter on your SP after the workout, as the fat slows down the process of refueling.

I am tired after reading your activity level :).

How do you FEEL with what you have been eating?

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I feel pretty good with what I'm doing now. I'm still tired in the morning despite getting a minimum of 8 hours of sleep, but its only day 4.

About the coconut oil, the main reason I throw that in is because a lot of times I have to go a long time before my next meal, and if I don't have it I get too hungry. I figured of all fats, coconut oil would be the easiest to digest.

• Moderators

You are probably exercising too much, but whether you are engaged in excessive volume or not, you need a lot of carbs to support your level of activity. I suspect you need starchy carbs equal to a medium to large-size sweet potato every day and maybe a bit more. You are a long distance from too many carbs.

Post-workout meals are supposed to be lean protein and no fats to take advantage of the 15-30 minute window after exercise when your muscles are especially ready to feed. Eggs are a great pre-workout food because the fat in egg yolks are okay before exercise, but they are not good afterwards because the fat slows digestion and keeps protein from reaching your muscles in a timely fashion. Starchy carbs in the post-workout meal are a good time to replenish energy stores, but you can replenish energy stores at any time. Rather than including any fat in your post-workout meal, it would be better to eat another meal after another 30-60 minutes is past.

Thanks Tom,

Would you recommend a snack-size portion or a full meal after my workout if I am going to be eating again in 30 to 60 minutes? I remeber reading in ISWF that a sweet potato mashed with egg whites would be a good post-workout option. Also, I know my activity level is on the high side, but I want to lose about 20 lbs, which is why I'm concerned about my carb intake.

• Moderators

The meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - suggests a meal-size portion of protein in the post-workout meal, so a palm-size portion. I often eat a can of tuna packed in water. Sweet potato and egg whites would work and then you could eat the yolks later.

I know this sounds wrong, but sometimes our bodies go into conservation mode when we exercise a lot or don't eat enough and losing weight slows or stops. I know it sounds crazy to exercise less or eat more to facilitate losing fat, but that is the key in some cases. And as much work as you are doing, you may be one of the people whose body has gotten stingy about letting go of fat because you are pushing so hard and your body is afraid it may need the fat

Tom, I think you're probably right about that. I am going to try having a post workout meal and then another regular meal within 60-90 minutes and see if that help. Thanks for you input! Do you think 93% lean ground turkey would be a decent post workout protein?

Ok, so I took your advice today and yesterday and had a pre and post-workout meal (2 eegs pre, tuna and sweet potato post) in addition to my regular meals and I feel absolutely stuffed! Is that normal/ok? Will my body adjust? All of my meals are on the smaller end of the recommended portions (one palm for meats, 1-2 servings of fat per meal.

Archived