Where's the good food??

I know there's a resource somewhere that provides a list of good places to buy organic and high welfare foods in the US... but I've combed the site and can't find it!

Does anyone know the page/link? Would be very grateful. Husband and I are spending the summer with family in the USA and reading up on welfare standards we're pretty astonished at how difficult it will be to figure out how the meat has been raised just in a normal supermarket.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I don't think there is a comprehensive list of good places to shop. Instead, there are a collection of reports from people about things they have found or recommend. The coverage is pretty sketchy.

I can say generally that Whole Foods Market, which has a presence in many cities across the US, has good choices with good information about their meats. You might also do an internet search where ever you are for local resources. Or look for farmers markets in your area.

we're pretty astonished at how difficult it will be to figure out how the meat has been raised just in a normal supermarket.

It's actually pretty straightforward. Unless the package says "organic", "pasture-raised", or "grass-fed", it isn't. In a regular supermarket, labels will scream this information to justify the substantially higher prices. Otherwise, you can pretty much assume that the meat is from industrialized farms, using corn or soy feed, and antibiotics.

Whole Foods makes it easier to distinguish the meats sold in their cases, and their availability of organic, pastured meat is better than that of the regular markets.

The other thing to know is that the label "all natural" means absolutely nothing in terms of quality of meat. It usually means chemicals were not used as preservatives, but sugar is often substituted, which makes it non-W30 anyway.

You can find the good stuff pretty much anywhere, you just have to know what you're looking for. In terms of meats, try to find a local farmer and become their new BFF. If that isn't an option, go for the highest quality (preferably grass-fed) meat that you can find within your budget--even Safeway is carrying some pretty stellar meats these days; and I believe that I've read on the forums that Costco butchers can be some excellent sources too (have to double check there, but reading this forums will answer that question). Veggies and fruits--buy organic where you can, hit farmer's markets and have fun with ethnic supermarkets--there are always wonderous new veggies and fruits to try at Asian supermarkets! Biggest key is to read labels and ask questions (and definitely have FUN!)

Kroger is a large supermarket chain in the US. They have a large "organic and natural" section of groceries, dairy and frozen foods. But I don't think the quality of their meats is very good. I buy meats at WholeFoods or COSTCO. On a weekend, no matter where you are, you can probably find a farmer's market on a Saturday morning. Stock up then for the rest of the week.

• 3 weeks later...

Eatwild.com is a website that will give you a list of ranches in your area. I'm in Portland Oregon and the list is huge. Where in the country will you be staying (in case someone can give you specifics)?

Yes-- www.eatwild.com is a great resource-- I tell people about it all the time. :D

I am able to get a nice variety from our local Natural Foods Co-op in Vermont. If you come through here on your way to Montreal there any many co-ops and natural foods stores in the state. Lots of farmer's markets, too.

Archived