Paleo Bread??

Mzboop

to me if you weigh yourself everyday you get discouraged when you see your self gain a pound or more back. Your weigh is an up and down roller coaster. So I believe that the program is right in asking you to leave it alone for 30 days. I have been discouraged with my scale before. I am very thankful for this program. I agree we are all adults and anyone can do anything for 30 days if they put their minds to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you make a wrap with your own coconut ingredients and a dehydrator or a low temperature oven?

I don't feel that W30 is taking the pleasure out of food/eating. I see it as giving my food choices a purpose. It's a big puzzle. What do I like? What do I like with other things? How can I blend those things together on the W30 plate?

I, too, like Romaine as a wrap/holder for other things. I bring it to room temperature to give it a bit of pliability.

For me, I suspect bread products are going to be high on the list of things to avoid. Having said that, I'm learning new ways to eat without it.

These aren't the only contradictions of logic I've seen in ISWF and the whole30. I'm a scientist, and I have to say that some of the rules have a very weak or nonexistent basis in scientific research (case in point is the no weighing yourself rule---research has shown that weighing yourself daily is a good idea).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I had the same feelings about why smoothies are 'frowned upon'. All the input is compliant, yet the end result isn't. My biggest issue so far -- in terms of the scientific side of things -- has been the 'free pass' given to those religious folks who take the sacrament. Your body is agnostic -- it doesn't know, nor does it care about your religion -- so why would it be okay to have a little wine and little bread for those folks when it's off limits for everyone else. That screams hypocrisy in my book.

I'm on Day 19 and I've been as compliant as possible and I don't think I've consumed anything off list, but I know I could've been better at meal prep and there are days I didn't get 3-full meals. But for the first run, I don't think I've done too bad. My take at this point is that you have to find the balance of what works for you within the program and not take everything these mods and members have to say as gospel -- it's more of an opinion in most cases. I think the goal is to learn and and grow from the experience and to do it better next time. Good luck!

Hey guys, can we all simmer down?

There are a few people on this site who are experts in their own minds on this program for sure. If the W30 has evolved over the last 5-years, then the rules aren't quite 100% yet. I get where nksl is coming from because there are a few people who will pounce on you if you do something they consider not compliant.

These aren't the only contradictions of logic I've seen in ISWF and the whole30. I'm a scientist, and I have to say that some of the rules have a very weak or nonexistent basis in scientific research (case in point is the no weighing yourself rule---research has shown that weighing yourself daily is a good idea).

I've seen this comment a few times lately--maybe from you? and it's not true. Weighing yourself daily may have been shown to improve weight-loss results when compared to the population at large, but these studies are not specific to the whole30. Time and time again empirical research on people actually doing a whole30 shows that those who weigh daily do not have better results. In fact, weighing yourself will sabotage efforts by making you second-guess hunger cues.

My biggest issue so far -- in terms of the scientific side of things -- has been the 'free pass' given to those religious folks who take the sacrament. Your body is agnostic -- it doesn't know, nor does it care about your religion -- so why would it be okay to have a little wine and little bread for those folks when it's off limits for everyone else. That screams hypocrisy in my book.

Hypocrisy? Really? In every discussion I've seen on this topic it has been pretty clear: while the absolute best results would come from abstaining, Dallas and Melissa choose not to make rules when it comes to individual people's religious observances. This, to me, is actually incredibly consistent with the whole9 message, and it's the same reason there is a vegetarian meal plan in place: they understand that for some people, there are values and beliefs that are more important than optimal nutrition. These guidelines are in place so those people can still participate and get the very best possible experience within the framework of their values.

Yes, hypocrisy. Rules are rules (as has been pounded by many here) and your body doesn't understand values -- there are no physiological responses to someone's values. If you consume alcohol, you consume alcohol period. In my opinion, if you choose to take the sacrament, you made a poor W30 choice. Don't confuse the physical with the metaphysical missmary.

The weighing post didn't come from me -- I'm not a scientist, just a fan of science. That I could care less about anyway. I don't even own a scale nor do I even think that it's an issue one way or another. In fact I just let my doctor weigh me at my annual physical this week -- I know, so naughty! But they had to do it.

• Moderators

It is time to wrap things up.

I haven't tried the Pure Wraps because I can't find them locally and don't want to pay the shipping. I don't understand why they would be OK as a wrapper for food but bread or a crepe or pancake made with approved ingredients is not. Is it perhaps, the Pure Wraps is paying a licensing fee for the whole30-approved label? (sorry I'm a born cynic)

Many people are deeply attached to eating bread. Most breads that people eat are made with ingredients that make them less healthy, so of course they are out during a Whole30. Paleo bread is out for psychological reasons. We know from experience that if people keep eating Paleo-fied versions of foods they are deeply attached to, they will very likely go back to the unhealthy versions quickly. And, Paleo-breads are second-rate food choices. No paleo bread is as good as meat or veggies, so eating it keeps you from eating better foods.

I've never come across anyone who was deeply attached to wraps, so there is no need to ban Pure Wraps. The coconut in them is a decent source of fat and there is little else there. I've tried to like them, but prefer eating things I would wrap inside them with a spoon and just skip the wrap.

• Moderators

Now I really think it is time to wrap things up. If anyone has more questions or concerns about paleo bread, you are welcome to private message me or any moderator. If you are concerned by some of the comments made in this thread and want to have your say, please private message me and we can talk about it.

Archived