What happened?

little_muffin

We are on day 18 with Hattie and it has been great until yesterday when she turned into a she-devil. What on earth has happened?

She is a whinging, whining, crying, tired ball of frustration who is refusing all meals and then requestng a snack 10 mins later.

I am losing my rag now and can feel myself starting to boil, not only am I wasting food but also wasting my time running around trying to get something that she will eat.

Please help...

As long as it all seems normal then that is fine. She is nearly 4 and it's been a bit worrying this w/e but as long as she'll get it eventually.

Would you suggest still offering something to eat every 2 hours or so? That's what we're doing at the moment; breakfast is around 7:30, small meal/snack at 10, lunch 12, snack 3 and dinner at 5

Would you suggest still offering something to eat every 2 hours or so? That's what we're doing at the moment; breakfast is around 7:30, small meal/snack at 10, lunch 12, snack 3 and dinner at 5

For a four year old, I would keep offering food every 2 hours or so, yes, just don't worry too much if she doesn't choose to eat every single time you offer. :)

At that age, I wouldn't (necessarily) attribute that kind of behavior to diet. It could be a developmental stage, a prelude to a growth spurt, a new independent streak, or she slept funny. Deep breaths (and ear plugs?).

I think kids just have bad days. Don't we all? I know I have days when I am just. not. agreeable. I have four kids, and I know that some days, even when they've been eating well and have apparently had enough sleep and are not sick, they are just...cranky. Devilish. My best friends always blame it on a cold/warm/damp front of some sort. Anyway, stick to your guns, know that you're doing a great job raising the healthiest human you can, and know that this, too, shall pass. :-)

Yeah. DItto. Almost four? That could be anything. I never understood the "terrible twos." My son was a total joy. I would squeeze him and stare at him and not want any moment to be lost. Three? Nightmare!

In the food dept, he would love something for two days and then flat out refuse to eat it again. I was tired and pregnant and started letting him dictate the food and became the short-order cook every parenting guide--no matter the angle--advises against. Now food is one of the many many things we are caught in a bad pattern over. He is a kid who most certainly WILL let himself go hungry v eating something he doesn't like. Point being: you do not want to create that monster!

Thank the maker he will eat his "meat cakes" (burger patties).

My downstairs neighbors' kids eat everything. When I felt like meals were taking over my life (way before W30) I asked them what they do and they said they offer one thing for a meal. That's it. Then, if the kids are hungry a little while later they are offered a choice between two alternatives. Things have gotten better for us since I stopped scrambling to make something acceptable.

Moluv on another thread said that while transitioning her kids she gave them all day access to compliant foods they liked. I think that's good advice. Kids at that age really like to assert their individuality and do not like every little thing to be controlled. It might also feel scary if all their usual comfort foods are taken away. I think it's also a matter of fine tuning to each individual kid. My daughter (almost 2) will flat out refuse a new food if I offer it to her on her own plate, but if I'm eating it she will climb into my lap and eat from my plate.

mmmm this has crossed my mind. it was someone's birthday last week so that could be when and where.

i also think it has something to do with refusing food; i.e. lack of energy, hungry tummy etc. She does seem to be recognising the hungry tummy syndrome & has eaten lots of good stuff today & had a great day, so fingers crossed

Archived