W30d6—Diary of a Wimpy Dad

Duke

Boy I really had to struggle with my title, I was going to try a take-off of the Whole30 thing by saying Whole Grains, Hole45 (I am 45 years old...well close enough). But I decided to take on the Wimpy Dad roll since my daughter just watched that movie and it was kinda fresh in my mind. I never really did consider myself a wimp, but now I am on Day 6 (knock on wood that I continue), I notice I am complaining, and irritable and basically everything one would consider as a wimp.

Yesterday I found me annoying my wife as well as me with my "I can't have that anymore" comments. Yeah, it bugged me too. I have decided that I am going to migrate away from that comment to something more positive and less annoying like "I don't eat that anymore". It gives me more of a sense of control and not being a little b*tch.

Read more & see some pics (just food) by going to my blog...

http://theduke-ccand...n.blogspot.com/

Here is the link to my blog which has the Whole(story): CLICK ME

FAILING TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL:

I have had that mantra throughout this first week of my W30 process. I believe this has been on my mind because I ended up diving into this at the last second with my group of CrossFitters at Mahoney CrossFit. I ended up, even though I knew what I was getting into, just not preparing for this new whole food deal. Eggs were easy to do, so I went to those. I didn't have much grass fed proteins, so had shrimp instead. Vegetables were mainly carrots, celery, asparagus and bell peppers. All of which I had on hand. I couldn't clear the cupboards because my wife does daycare and is required by the FDA to have sugar and carbs galore (and beans) as a staple to the food for the children she watches.

CLICK HERE for more of this post and a great recipe for Moroccan Meatballs. Num Num Num.

Moroccan-Meatballs-thumb.jpg

Thank you both so much. I am really struggling today (day 8). I really want to cheat...I am mentally trying to find a way to cheat and sabotaging myself. I have not done so, because I have seen the difference (in my pants and shirts). But I so want a big fat burger with a bun. I want a pepperoni pizza. I want my crystal light berry (or Mio) to put in my water. I want a salt lick-a sugar cube-and a diet coke....that was until I spoke with a lady at my office today who was only drinking protein shakes all day...

...OH HELL NO! I am perfectly happy eating Whole30!

It's funny what it takes to wake you out of your own pity party.

Ha! Love your title.

Day 8 is hard. It should get less hard, at least in terms of cravings, as you go forward. They creep back in but it's not an all day battle. The meatballs look yummy, though I can't seem to click through your links?

Duke most of us go through a kill all the things phase. I recently did a W100 and I wanted to commit homicide on a poor flank steak at day 45 or so. Totally out of the blue. Your resolve is strong and you can do this.

Disclaimer: I do not suggest that most of us do a W100. Out of 30 people, only 7 of us finished. The other 6 had really good reasons for doing it. Me..well lets just say I am very stubborn. :0)

Just wait a little bit, you won't regret. You will crave steak and brussel sprouts soon. Maybe something else, but transformation will happen, I promise. If someone told me that I will get super excited about green beans with beef for breakfast several month ago I'd laugh. It's only 30 days after all. Best of luck!

You can have that big fat burger OR the pizza - in 22 days. You can do ANYTHING for 30 days. As Melissa H says, this is.not.hard. Quitting heroin? That is hard. This is just giving up those foods that make you less healthy for a short period of time so that you can determine just how important they are to you in the future.

Rock on brotha!

Thank you both so much. I am really struggling today (day 8). I really want to cheat...I am mentally trying to find a way to cheat and sabotaging myself. I have not done so, because I have seen the difference (in my pants and shirts). But I so want a big fat burger with a bun. I want a pepperoni pizza. I want my crystal light berry (or Mio) to put in my water. I want a salt lick-a sugar cube-and a diet coke....that was until I spoke with a lady at my office today who was only drinking protein shakes all day...

...OH HELL NO! I am perfectly happy eating Whole30!

It's funny what it takes to wake you out of your own pity party.

:) Good feeling, isn't it? I'd soooo much rather eat a steak or an egg or a fish than down a protein shake.

Me..well lets just say I am very stubborn. :0)

Others would say crazy, Susan. :ph34r:

If someone told me that I will get super excited about green beans with beef for breakfast several month ago I'd laugh. It's only 30 days after all. Best of luck!

I like sautéed cabbage and runny yolked eggs. Don't even miss the bread I used to have every morning! Took some getting used to, but I genuinely look forward to it nowadays.

Quitting heroin? That is hard. This is just giving up those foods that make you less healthy for a short period of time.

:lol: LOL!

You all are great...thank you. I fixed the links to my blog and the Moroccan Meatball Recipe.

I had another ah-ha moment today.

I asked my youngest daughter to make her and her brother dinner while her mom and I went outside to work on our raised garden bed and move the soil that was delivered today from the driveway to the backyard.

When we finished up, my daughter had made frozen burritos and tater tots and out of habit I grabbed for one tater tot and suddenly stopped myself just before touching it and told myself I don't eat that anymore and went on through without the "bite". This is a VERY BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT.

Bravo on the tater tot. I've done that too--just grabbed something out of habit and had my teeth about to close together before I stopped myself.

I think that's part of the genius of the Whole 30. You have a lot of motivation to not start over.

One week down. Yay!

http://theduke-ccandersen.blogspot.com/2013/04/hope-my-garden-sleeps-welli-made-them-3.html

Hope my garden sleeps well...I made them 3 beds!

I have been gone, but have not forgotten you all, not this challenge. I have been pretty busy this week with work, my son's flag football practices and games, CrossFit, Graphic Design and printing of CrossFit packets and new people paperwork (that I had procrastinated on for almost 3 weeks). I have also been preparing foods...all the freaking time! It's getting annoying and I realize why I normally eat like crap. Because it's easy.

I know that it is best to take a weekend and prepare, which I did last weekend and even today. But still there are things you must prepare. Cook some eggs in the am (I did have frozen ones, but those were for snack or low blood sugar times for me). So last week I made the Moroccan Meatballs and those were pretty good, but I was tired of having them for every lunch, so today was still a nice day and I BBQ'd up about two chickens, 4 fish, and some sirloin steak. This should liven up my lunches a bit. I now need to cut up and mix up my vegi-mix for the week but I am SO TIRED!

I have built 3 raised garden beds and over ordered on soil (by only about twice the amount I needed). I was only planning to build 2, but I went back to the hardware store and got more lumber and made a big one 5'x10'...then got my shovel and wheelbarrow and started to move some earth into the beds. I still now have about 2 of my 5 square yards left on my driveway, so if any of you are nearby, just come and take it away.

raised-bed-main-m.jpg?300:300

I got the plans for the garden beds from Sunset Magazine and you can see the easy instructions right here. They look real nice and are easy to make--even a wimpy dad can build 1, or 2, or 3 even!

So that's it for now...I gotta start thinking of what to put in the gardens and how to keep my 3 stupid dogs out.

http://theduke-ccandersen.blogspot.com/2013/04/hope-my-garden-sleeps-welli-made-them-3.html

Love your posts! They make me smile and laugh, and I needed some laughs today... I'm on Day 5, which is when the "kill all things" phase supposedly begins.

Go to the thread crazy stuff people say, good laugh is guaranteed :)

Are you having any emotional pay-offs yet? Or is it still a challenge?

It is paying off-It has become easier to eat the proper foods. However all my "trigger" foods are all around me and I almost grabbed a herb flavored cracker at home last night. I grabbed the box, pulled it close, and then looked around the house to see if anyone was looking. Fortunately the house was empty except for my 3 dogs looking at me wagging their tails and REALLY wanting that treat I had in my hand. So I took out 3 of the crackers and gave them each one and walked off. I didn't want to ruin all I have done (Day 16). I had gone to far to go wrong over an effing cracker.

So on a sad note--my dogs will have to restart their Whole30 Journey...suckers!

I didn't want to ruin all I have done (Day 16). I had gone to far to go wrong over an effing cracker.

So on a sad note--my dogs will have to restart their Whole30 Journey...suckers!

Ha! The not having to start over thing is a great incentive to put the cracker/bite of pasta/spoon with a lick of honey down.

I have been unable to do this, but I do believe that emptying your cupboards and refilling them with all Whole30/Paleo/Healthy foods will make it much easier. Last night was hell for me. I was hungry hungry hungry and all we had was processed meats, cheeses, and bread/crackers in the house. **It felt like the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner...Water, Water everywhere, nor any drop to drink**

Hence--going shopping today.

Yeah, I didn't empty my cupboards or fridge either. My husband is with me as far as dinner goes (I make it) but he also likes to keep his cookie stash. I'd prefer if he followed the plan since he has an auto-immune disorder. But it's dormant now so I guess he feels no urgency.

I stopped buying my kids cereal and have slowly been pushing them towards a more "paleo" diet. But they still have stuff I am not eating like yogurt and cheese.

That said, we in general don't have much junk in our house and I make my husband keep his cookies away from our other food. Away from me and the kids. I do 80% of the food shopping so really it's up to me. As my w30 went on, I did start chucking things I won't eat again (processed condiments, my whole grain stash, my bean stash) but there is more to be chucked.

Did my grocery shopping today and spent a butt-load of money, but I will not run into that problem I had last night with nothing available to eat. I made Paleo-Mayo, Paleo-Mayo/Ranch, & Most importantly...Paleo Sriracha Sauce (HELL YA!)....NOTE: Making this is pretty brutal. I wore gloves and had to wear a surgeon's mask to breathe when cleaning and cutting up all the peppers. AT first I didn't have the mask and I ended up coughing uncontrollably, my eyes watered, and then I began sneezing (yes while coughing too). If only I would have farted and hiccuped at that same moment, I would have time travelled...because everyone knows that if you Sneeze, Hiccup and Fart all at once, you end up going back 5 seconds in time. What would happen if you add coughing and crying?

I cut and chopped my vegetable medley (which is my new "rice" or "bread"), I have that with just about every meal. It does get a bit boring, but it does take some of the thinking out of preparing at times, which is quite nice.

Anyway--bring on the last 10 days!

http://theduke-ccandersen.blogspot.com/

Archived