Best way to eat avocados?

• Moderators

I don't like the taste of avocado by itself, but like it fine when combined with other foods. Occasionally I eat slices of avocado on chili even though chili rarely needs more fat. Most of the time, I mash avocado with lime juice and spread it on eggs or combine it with diced tomatoes, onion, and pulled chicken to make a meal. Oh, and sometimes I use mashed avocado in place of mayonnaise in tuna salad.

i will eat it plain nd simplle as I adore it but hubby doesn't so he will have it on a chilli or we sometimes do a BLTa with chicken as the bread ad bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado as the filling. Nomnom!

I have my lunch with my 1yr old and sometimes it's very plain meat and veg but if I add some avocado too, it just takes it up a level. Though I do get sqealed at for more as she's a huge avocado fan too :D

I don't like the taste of avocado by itself, but like it fine when combined with other foods. Occasionally I eat slices of avocado on chili even though chili rarely needs more fat. Most of the time, I mash avocado with lime juice and spread it on eggs or combine it with diced tomatoes, onion, and pulled chicken to make a meal. Oh, and sometimes I use mashed avocado in place of mayonnaise in tuna salad.

The avocado tuna salad is friggin amazing. Totally seconded. Works lovely with chicken salad and pulled pork for wrapping in lettuce leaves; and it also works surprisingly well in deviled eggs (we used to make "green eggs" and serve with ham at the daycare I used to work at!) :D

i will eat it plain nd simplle as I adore it but hubby doesn't so he will have it on a chilli or we sometimes do a BLTa with chicken as the bread ad bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado as the filling. Nomnom!

I have my lunch with my 1yr old and sometimes it's very plain meat and veg but if I add some avocado too, it just takes it up a level. Though I do get sqealed at for more as she's a huge avocado fan too :D

oooooohhhhh that sounds lovely, little muffin :)

The avocado tuna salad is friggin amazing. Totally seconded. Works lovely with chicken salad and pulled pork for wrapping in lettuce leaves; and it also works surprisingly well in deviled eggs (we used to make "green eggs" and serve with ham at the daycare I used to work at!) :D

oooooohhhhh that sounds lovely, little muffin :)

I second the avocado deviled eggs! They're amazing and you don't even really taste the avocado in them (if that's your goal). Each time I've made these, they've been a huge hit! Here's a recipe you can tweak to your liking (I also add Frank's Hot Sauce to the mixture):

Ingredients

Make 24 pieces

12 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled

2 ripe avocados

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon mustard (optional)

6 pieces of bacon

Directions

Cook bacon in a pan on medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside. Cut each hard boiled egg in half and carefully remove the yolks.

In a mixing bowl, mash 6 full yolks with the avocado, garlic, olive oil, paprika, lemon juice and mustard. I don't use all of the yolks because the avocado will make it rich enough. It should be a creamy consistency after you fully mix the ingredients. Take your cooled bacon and finely chop into small pieces and add to mixture. Stir together.

Spoon each egg half with mixture. Sprinkle paprika on each egg and voila!

When I started this whole paleo thing, I hated avocados. I mean, hated them with a passion. I used to painstakingly push the avocado slices out of all my sushi rolls with a chopstick. My mom still calls them 'green crisco' and I just couldn't get past the texture without gagging.

Because the taste was mild enough, I figured that if I was going to learn to like them I'd best start with guacamole (homemade). Once I got to where I liked that (my favorite was with baby carrots), I tried a few slices on scrambled eggs or topping my chicken tortilla-free soup. Then I tried them on bean-free chili. A light dusting of salt on the avocado helps bring out the taste for me.

Now I'll eat them on all kinds of things (love them in lettuce wraps with carnitas and red pepper strips) but I still won't just eat an avocado on it's own. But I also won't eat mayo, nut butter or coconut butter just by the spoonful either...I think it's a texture thing.

Archived